PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver???

borneoman
04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
The tour started yesterday in Vancouver for 2 shows in a row???

No one there??????? No eskimos in Vancouver???????????????

Putin
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm in Vancouver but I'm only seeing him today. Didn't go to the first show - the one on the 23rd. I dunno how it could have gone though, seeing that there was a huge hockey game on the same day that most people watched. All I can tell you is that after the Canucks (Vancouver team) won the series, it was very noisy outside for about an hour (9:00-10:00) and it could have affected Damien's concert since it's pretty close to the hockey arena where the game was played.

borneoman
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
But wasn't the show sold out?

skysosmrt
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I also didn't go to last night's show as I already bought tix for tonight's show first and then learned it sold out. I don't think that Monday's show was sold out. I'm very curious to see what the current band will be like as my very first time seeing him was at Richards when he played solo, then the time he played the Commodore a few years back with Vyvienne and Lisa together.

Do you know who the opener is? I hope it'll be Bell X1.

skysosmrt
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
The Georgia Straight should be doing some sort of review on the show since they are presenting it. Unfortunately, cameras are not allowed at The Centre or I'd be taking pics. I'll try my best to give a review after tonight.

borneoman
04-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Can't wait for your review!!! I'm seeing him tomorrow and I wanna know what to expect...

I see, the sold out show is today's, not yesterday's...

So no one was at yesterday's show??

Putin
04-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Set List:

Me, my Yoke, and I
Nine Crimes
I remember
Delicate
Volcano
Rootless Tree (piano vers)
Elephant

Vyv song

Rat within the Grain
Professor
Coconut Skins
Woman Like a Man
Accidental Babies

Encore:
Blower's daughter
Cannonball
Cheers Darlin'

Excellent show - that's all I can really say.

badgerandsnouty
04-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Concert Reviews
Damien Rice
Concert Reviews By Sarah Rowland
Publish Date: April 26, 2007

At the Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts on Tuesday, April 24

After watching Damien Rice unload every painful memory from his arsenal of overemotive breakup ballads, I can only conclude that he owes Mike Nichols his life–or at least partial proceeds of all his earnings. If it weren't for the Closer director having such a hard-on for "The Blower's Daughter", Rice would have toiled in obscurity on the Dublin pub circuit and that would have been that. That's not to say he doesn't have a knack for carrying a note or turning a sad phrase. But check out any open-mike night in the U.K. or Ireland and you'll see half a dozen Damien Rices: young art students with beautiful voices and pretty lyrics, but zero star quality to set them apart. However, fate (in the form of a legendary filmmaker) stepped in for this glorified busker, and now he packs venues like the Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts.

And what a night of melancholy heartache it was. Couples clung to each other as they watched Rice perform quiet piano numbers about unrequited love, strum acoustic ditties about letting go of someone who is too clingy, and occasionally rock out with his band (in an angsty "love hurts" kind of way, of course).

About halfway through the show, he let his cellist, Vyvienne Long, take centre stage with a song of her own, which turned out to be some folked-out rap jam that wasn't nearly as quirky as she thought it was. (My take: she must be blowing someone high up in Rice's entourage. Any guesses?)

For the encore, Rice started with his Closer-propelled, career-launching hit. Then he left us with "Cheers Darlin'", a song about some poor pickled sod raising a glass to his ex and her new lover. Here, the otherwise super-serious singer-songwriter decided to ham it up by putting on a fake drunken slur and stagger. It came off as a cheap one-man musical. But maybe that was just his selfless way of offering a little comic relief after depressing the **** out of us for 90 minutes. He just gives and gives, that man does.

badgerandsnouty
04-27-2007, 12:38 AM
We have most of the Damien Rice recordings.

What was this song?

The unrecognized song included the line:

''....is he dark enough to see your light...'

and something about '..does he make you cum together..'

a dark song about sexual jealousy.

What is it called?

Is it recorded?

Where can we find the lyrics?

Thanks

Badger and Snouty

davidcotyalex
04-27-2007, 01:54 AM
accidental babies

SisterMidnight
04-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Concert Reviews
Damien Rice
Concert Reviews By Sarah Rowland
Publish Date: April 26, 2007

At the Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts on Tuesday, April 24

After watching Damien Rice unload every painful memory from his arsenal of overemotive breakup ballads, I can only conclude that he owes Mike Nichols his life–or at least partial proceeds of all his earnings. If it weren't for the Closer director having such a hard-on for "The Blower's Daughter", Rice would have toiled in obscurity on the Dublin pub circuit and that would have been that. That's not to say he doesn't have a knack for carrying a note or turning a sad phrase. But check out any open-mike night in the U.K. or Ireland and you'll see half a dozen Damien Rices: young art students with beautiful voices and pretty lyrics, but zero star quality to set them apart. However, fate (in the form of a legendary filmmaker) stepped in for this glorified busker, and now he packs venues like the Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts.

And what a night of melancholy heartache it was. Couples clung to each other as they watched Rice perform quiet piano numbers about unrequited love, strum acoustic ditties about letting go of someone who is too clingy, and occasionally rock out with his band (in an angsty "love hurts" kind of way, of course).

About halfway through the show, he let his cellist, Vyvienne Long, take centre stage with a song of her own, which turned out to be some folked-out rap jam that wasn't nearly as quirky as she thought it was. (My take: she must be blowing someone high up in Rice's entourage. Any guesses?)

For the encore, Rice started with his Closer-propelled, career-launching hit. Then he left us with "Cheers Darlin'", a song about some poor pickled sod raising a glass to his ex and her new lover. Here, the otherwise super-serious singer-songwriter decided to ham it up by putting on a fake drunken slur and stagger. It came off as a cheap one-man musical. But maybe that was just his selfless way of offering a little comic relief after depressing the **** out of us for 90 minutes. He just gives and gives, that man does.wow what a bitch