PDA

View Full Version : Detroit review - 5/17/07

evets25
05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
The wait was over. Almost 3 years since Damien has graced Michigan with a show. I was nervous about the State Theatre, because ticketmaster showed the main floor as GA. For a show entitled "An Evening with Damien Rice" I thought it was a bit inappropriate. Luckily, I found out in time that the floor was indeed seated and I got a pair of tickets in row J. And after last night, the price was well worth it. Chuck accompanied me to the show and even though he was not a huge fan going in, on the way out he said "that was by far one of the best concerts I have ever been to." The venue was late getting everyone in and you were unable to enter through the State bar. Which is new to me, but whatever. We were in our seats by 7:20 and he came on at about 8pm. Entering by himself and heading to the piano with a single spotlight on him, he started to play the opening notes to "9 crimes". The crowd was very attentive and quiet. Hanging on his every word. Only a few "I love you Damien" 's came at random times of the show. But for the most part the crowd was amazing. From there, Vyvienne came out and they played "Older Chests". The show was still quite tame, but then during Volcano the band came out and started to rock out a bit. By the time "Me, My Yoke and I" was finished, you were confused if you were at a rock show or a singer/songwriter show. And that descirbes the evening quite well - the quiet intimate moments vs the loud heavy sounds were so well balanced and appropriate. I don't think he said a word to the crowd until about 4 songs in, when he said "thanks". Then after the fifth when a few people were late getting to their seats he said "don't worry, the first 5 songs sucked anyway - you didn't miss anything". There were a few songs that he introduced and the stories behind them were quite intriging. The most was his description of "I remember", describing how he used to go to a grocery store and there was a good looking girl cashier, so he always went to that checkout lane. He then said she stopped working there "so I took that as the end of our relationship". As I anticipated, the song did not disappoint - as I think it went on for almost 20 minutes, loops and all. There were a few spots where I missed hearing Lisa's voice, mostly on "Eskimo Friends". He ended the show with "Cannonball". He said thanks and proceeded to unplug his guitar and stepped out to the front of the stage so he was without microphone or any amplification. It was like hearing him play on a street corner. The place was so quiet I felt like I could hear my heartbeat. The band left to a standing ovation. For the encore, Damien played "Unplayed Piano" with a video tribute playing for Aung San Suu Kyi, in which the song was written for. This was followed by "The blowers daughter". Again, the crowd was so quiet. This time I heard a girl sobbing behind us. Which - his music was definitely moving to a lot in the audience. It wasn't a sobfest around us, but you could just tell by how attentive and how everyone hung on every note that they were very appreciative to be there. The girl next to Chuck drove all the way from the UP solo to witness all that is Damien. She was quite pleased after the final song. The crowd gave another standing ovation after "blowers daughter" and the band made its way off the stage - except for Damien. A waiter made his way out to the stage, handing him a cig and a glass, which he filled with red wine and the track for "cheers darlin" started to play. The song was sung by Damien, but he put on a little act of being drunk at the bar singing to himself. He must have had about 3 glasses of wine and smoked the entire cigarette by the time the song was done. (sigh), it's a relief to go to shows like that one. It reminds me of why I attend so many.

If I could have any gripes, its that we did not get a solo song by Vyvienne on the cello. Last time they were here she rocked out a White Stripes song.

Nobody has posted the set, but these were the songs played to my knowledge - best guess on order.

9 crimes (Damien solo)
Older Chests (Damien and Vyv)
Volcano (Damien played the first verse on piano)
Elephant
Me, My Yoke and I
La Professor --> La fille danse
Dogs
Coconut Skins
Eskimo Friends -->
Woman Like a Man
Delicate
Accidental Babies
I remember
Cannonball (unplugged)
Encore: