PDA

View Full Version : O - Grandparents and Girlfriends

Benjamin
05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
A story...

Somebody had given me a CDR with "some tracks you might like" on it. So... during the long 1 and half hour drive I take to work each day, I perused the CD... variety of stuff, including a couple of tracks by Simian, The Thrills (and others)... and 2 songs called Amie and Eskimo by this bloke called Damien Rice.

Well, I'm ashamed to say, I flipped idly through it, and twice skipped over Eskimo after listening to the first 20 seconds thinking 1) he was ripping off a chord sequence/tune that sounded like something I'd done2) it didn't seem to be going anywhere.

But I did listen to Amie. And thought it was lovely. So I decided to listen to Eskimo all the way through... Now I'm a hardened cynical generation X type of person, but when the opratic bit came in, I swear I had a lump in my throat... truly a defining musical moment for me. And after going any buying the album, I have to say, I wasn't disapointed - Cannonball in particular is gorgeous. Since then, I've managed to get my girlfriend listening to it (a step forwards from Robbie Williams), and my girlfriend's dad (who hasn't bought an album since 1952) to purchase it as well. In fact, my girfriend's dad was busy in our house doing some DIY, but was so struck by Eskimo he stopped working, and came to find us to ask who it was. Just goes to show you - there's decent music out there, and even the jaded "older generation" have to grudgingly admit they like it....

So well done Damien, I see you read this forum occasionally. Keep it up - and get yourself on the Radio 1 or 2 "A" playlist - if The Flaming Lips can manage it...!

Cheers,

-Ben

Aisling
06-01-2003, 06:55 AM
aww

EMail girl
06-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Music has been known to break down walls...lovely story! Thanks for sharing</font>

digsy
02-24-2004, 12:53 PM
good story benji

Adrian
02-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Aye nice Story :)it was Eskimo than got me hooked first.. awwwwww still remember, always makes me smile :D

Pippa
02-24-2004, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE id=fb790ca0>

I asked for the album without ever hearing a song!

great story, my rents find him too passionate, damn them</BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: Pippa

Louise
02-24-2004, 04:28 PM
smileys/smiley19.gif What a lovely story.

Aisling
02-24-2004, 04:32 PM
wow now theres an old topic. that was three days before my leaving cert started, i really should have been studying!

cille
02-25-2004, 08:33 AM
nice story! Actually I don't like the opera part, but glad to hear it was able to melt your post modern kinda heart...nice of you to share.smileys/smiley1.gif

cille
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE id=fb790ca0>

my rents find him too passionate, damn them</BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, smileys/smiley11.gif, passion's a terrible thing, yuk!smileys/smiley2.gif

bunique
02-25-2004, 08:36 AM
I bought the album without hearing anything too...The cover just jumped out at me in HMV...And now I've converted me parents n me 9 year old brothers have been stealing the album and know all the words...Have even overheard me Da recommending it to his friends, hehe...the world domination quest continues ;)

Aisling
02-29-2004, 07:08 AM
getting one step further everyday....

Illusions
03-02-2004, 01:25 AM
yes my parents have to admit that they like damien too!!