PDA

View Full Version : To capo or not to capo...

preman
02-20-2004, 11:03 PM
here's a question for all the songwriters out there...how often do you use the capo when you write a song? so far, for whatever feeble attempt i've made to write my own stuff, i've somehow found myself using the capo. is that the right way to go? i dunno, maybe i'm just feeling insecure about how i sing or something....lol

any thoughts anyone? do you guys use it alot as well when writing music?

live well people

The Weatherman
02-21-2004, 07:23 AM
i used to hate using the capo and try to be a purist or something. However, i've learned that the capo can make a song. eg. Cannonball.

Closing Doors
02-22-2004, 08:15 AM
It completely depends on the song. I often come up with riffs that sound a bit thin and empty by themselves, so I slap a capo on and beef them up using various chords under them !

I don't deliberately set out to use a capo (although I did once write a song in E flat tuning for the sake of it - but I couldn't be arsed to tune it down anymore so now I play it in normal tuning !). The last song I wrote (I think !) had a capo on the 3rd fret, 'cause I'd just finished playing the professor when I wrote it !

#Ian#
02-22-2004, 12:11 PM
All it does is change the key you play in, its not that big a deal. It can make it easier to play "funny chords" but thats it.

ali*
02-22-2004, 12:27 PM
capo is a godsend for us females. its soooo easy to transpose when u want to sing songs that are written by men.

reading back on the actual question i realise this post is really just a waste of time...enjoy capoing

Scon
02-24-2004, 04:28 AM
What Ali said -

Basically its intention is for shifting pitch, to cater for different ranges in the voice.

Some also find it useful for its altering of the string vibrations. There's a big difference between strumming an open chord, and a barred one further up (ignoring the different pitch).

WeeEskimo32
02-25-2004, 01:15 AM
it all depends on the person, in my opinion. It's not necessarily the right way or wrong way. I personally don't use it THAT often, but that's just me.

-oli
02-26-2004, 06:40 AM
no disrespect AT ALL to damien (who i met on the 14th!!!!) but you can use the same riff in different songs and get away with it

eg eskimo chorus capo 7, cold water capo 5, amie capo 7.

(g f#/d em c)

PLEEEEEAAASE don't reply with loads of hate-mail. i love damien. i probably got it all wrong, and so i'm sorry. ah, i've just seen how harsh some can be on this site. i take it back!!!!

ali*
02-26-2004, 04:56 PM
nooooo, we love helpful people! we love you oli....smileys/smiley2.gif

Pac
02-28-2004, 07:18 AM
He explained those chordsat the last concert in dublin. he said that paul noonan used them in eve, the apple of my eye (which he then Played)http://www.freecfm.com/d/damien/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif. He said that them chords encouraged him to write some of his songs, so im not complaining, they all sound unique.

paudy
02-28-2004, 09:12 AM
alot of people out there consider people who use capo's not to be real guitarists but i think thats sh*t its all about what you feel comfortable doing, since i started singing damo songs my range has increased so other song i used to play without a capo i now have to use a capo

-oli
03-01-2004, 06:27 AM
YEAH, I FOUND THAT TOO. CHEERS DAMIEN.