PDA

View Full Version : Damien as Jeff???

cille
02-25-2004, 08:29 AM
smileys/smiley25.gif

In the "brewer's daughter" review the guy states that Damien tries to be Jeff Buckley. Not having seen Damien live (yet!!! only a week to go!!!smileys/smiley10.gif) I wonder if any of you folks knows what the heck this guy means? Not that he is being very specific, but...can you relate to what he is stating there? Just wondering...

Angela
02-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I think he referred to the fact that Damien performed 'Hallelujah' that night.

cille
02-25-2004, 09:59 AM
well, he's done that before - does that make him seem like Jeff? I mean...I have heard a Damien version of that song, but it's not THAT alike Buckley's version... but maybe it was on that particular night??smileys/smiley5.gif

dankelleher
02-25-2004, 10:53 AM
I think Damien's live performance is not unlike Jeff Buckley's in some ways. He makes the same sort of transitions from almost inaudible whispering to uncontrolled cathartic Rocking Out (tm).

Also, the voice quality isn't high on the list of important things (Damien's, that is, Lisa's is always impeccable) as the high, creaky about-to-fall-apart texture helps to get across the emotion in the songs. Jeff Buckley's voice quality was similar.

On record I don't think they're really alike, but I can kind of see the guy's point in relation to his full-band live performances.

Dan

Angela
02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Damien can sing Hallelujah you'd think Jeff Buckley has risen! I've heard it. And he does perform Jeff's version of that song.

I thought the reviewer might not have been aware that Damien sings Hallelujah fairly often?

prague
02-25-2004, 11:32 AM
I thought the reviewer might not have been aware.

(Note: the full stop is in bold print!)

morphia
02-26-2004, 10:21 AM
I heard damien play Hallelujah in Galway and wow im so glad he played, having never being able to see jeff buckley live(smileys/smiley19.gif) this was almost as good!

tj
02-26-2004, 10:48 AM
I think Damien's live performance is not unlike Jeff Buckley's in some ways. He makes the same sort of transitions from almost inaudible whispering to uncontrolled cathartic Rocking Out (tm).

Also, the voice quality isn't high on the list of important things (Damien's, that is, Lisa's is always impeccable) as the high, creaky about-to-fall-apart texture helps to get across the emotion in the songs. Jeff Buckley's voice quality was similar.

On record I don't think they're really alike, but I can kind of see the guy's point in relation to his full-band live performances.

Dan

I couldn't agree more!