PDA

View Full Version : so many 6/8’s

Ubik
03-01-2004, 03:44 AM
hi, i recently noticed how so many songs of damien are 6/8 rythms.

delicate, amie, i remember, the professor, silent night, cheers darling, eskimo...

how comes ? or do iend up hearing 6/8's everywhere.usually you only hear the 4/4 in rock music, i never heard so many 6/8's with one artist. any ideawho is it who loves those, in the band ?i love them too, they are so much groovier then the usual rock rythms

ubik

maccas81
03-27-2004, 03:10 PM
maybe its an influence from traditional irish music which uses a lot of those timings or something...that would seem to me a logical explanation of the 6/8 thing

Magnus
03-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Ubik!It's wierd you should mention that. I have noticed that as well. Pesonally I fell in love with that 6/8 vibe about6 years ago andI think maybeGrace by Jeff Buckley (who also recorded many 6/8 songs)was the song that made me aware of the fantastic groove of 6/8. I have also always loved Irish folk music as well! smileys/smiley1.gifEdited by: Magnus

Ubik
04-14-2004, 04:21 PM
hey there, i haven't read this board in some time. thanks for your comments. what artists should i look for in irish folk, knowing that i am not a fan of hardcore traditionnal folk. thanks for any help on the topic.

ubik

cille
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
it's not traditional irish music at all, but folk rock too: a lot of david gray's old stuff also has that beat and feeling to them.