PDA

View Full Version : for fun or career

-oli
03-10-2004, 01:02 PM
i was wondering, out of all you music people, who actually thinks they can make a career.is this the dream of everyone who starts to strum their first "e" chord. personally i'm not sure. fame changes musicians. and so does money.people we call"sell-outs".

seeing what fame can do to a person (media intrusion and all that) is it even worth striving for?

i think there are many levels of fame, but to be honest, all i want to do is play music all my life. and not have to get some borish 9-5 job.i'm not lazy, ... i can't really describe it.

Closing Doors
03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Well it's certainly what I aspire to do !!

I don't want to be big-headed and say I could make it...but I like my music (mainly because I throw anything out that I'm not 100% satisfied with!), and the reactions I've been getting have been amazing. So who knows ?

Can't see myself in an office job either !

hippy shakes
03-11-2004, 08:43 AM
I've been in loads of bands during my time and when people start talking about getting signed and royalties etc I always tell them it should be about fun first. Always try your hardest to make a living if that's what you want to do (who wouldn't) but never forget to enjoy it!

Enoch
03-11-2004, 04:12 PM
I have a 9 to 5 (yeah right) job and I've been playing guitar for about 11 years now. I always have that niggling desire to play live to prove to myself that I can do it. But as I see it and as Closing Doors says its all about the reactions you getfrom people, the feedback and the ability to effect someone emotionally with music. If you get that you must be doing something right, and you should do it as much as you possiblycan imo.

Fame and money only make bad people worse - I don't believe it can make a good person bad.

kellykatherine
03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I have wanted to sing in a band since I was little, and although making it big may not be something that can be counted on, being able to use your talent and express feelings through music is enough for any true musican.

Closing Doors
03-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I have wanted to sing in a band since I was little, and although making it big may not be something that can be counted on, being able to use your talent and express feelings through music is enough for any true musican.

Amen !! As Damo said, you do for those moments when you kind of go into a trance, I think he descibed it like being drunk or stoned or something. I love being able to just close my eyes and kind of float away with the music. I remember the first time somebody asked me to play one of my songs.I played what I considered to be my best song at the time, but I was sure he would hate it. I dunno, I always think that when it's your own song you never give it enough credit...anyway, he listens intently to the whole song and turns to me at the end and goes "That's f*ckin amazing, you can tell you really put a lot of thought into it". There's no better feeling.

kellykatherine
03-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Exactly... Being able to feel the music is what it is about. And, giving that feeling to someone else is amazing.

#Ian#
03-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Personally I want to be in it for the sex and drugs and rock 'n roll.

Actually, if I had the sex and drugs I wouldn't be to bothered about the rock n' roll.

While I'm here misquoting Spinal Tap I may as well say this. This one goes up to 12 smileys/smiley2.gif

-oli
04-07-2004, 11:18 AM
(ha), "well why not just make 10 louder?"

"...no, but this one goes up to 12"

Magnus
04-07-2004, 12:07 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif

Livo
04-08-2004, 09:30 PM
i don't want to be stuck in an office for the rest of my life...my main
priority is to be a musician like erin mckeown or preferably in a band
like the frames. i've wanted to be a musician since last year when i