PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Left Out

Joe
08-24-2003, 04:42 AM
So i'm a recent fan, and i find out that Damien is playing a show here (here being Toronto, Ontario Canada) at a local club in just over two weeks. This has got to be a rare event the only problem is that its a 19+ show, and i'm only 16. I'm disappointed to say the least, anyone have any ideas on how to get in?or is it hopeless? fake ID maybe?

Joe

administrator
08-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Aw, that sucks. Well, I think you should get to the venue really early and try to meet damien or one of the others on the way in and ask if there's anything they can do. maybe they can put you on the guestlist or smuggle you in as the t-shirt seller or something. i guess it's his first gig in toronto so it should be special. otherwise maybe e-mail the management. good luck and let us know how you get on.

#Ian#
08-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Whats up with the crazy age limits on shows in North America, I realise that putting gigs on in nightclubs or bars is cheaper then renting a proper venue but c'mon, this is why the handstamp was invented.

I'm 23 and Irish so I don't really care, there's nothing like 5 year olds causing havoc in pubs. I just think its nuts and it pissed me off when I went to Seattle when I was 19 and couldn't even get into an empty bar to shoot some pool. I had to go to a bowling alley to get some booze.

dara
08-24-2003, 01:25 PM
i hear ya Ian . Fugazi started a philosophy years ago of if we cant play an all ages show were not gonna play and they still stick by it. but with small clubs and stuff these days i dont know much about the logistics it seems as time goes on the more regulated they become. but everyone knows people under 18/21 should be at home when everyone else is rockin in the free world. off topic: isnt it strange how (now me being a dubliner in America) the land of the free can impose a curfew when ever they see fit on kids under 18 in a good few states . **** ****. Edited by: emmettu2

fiona
08-24-2003, 04:13 PM
it sucks muchly to be under-age, i know very well. i'm more than 2 years away from being able to go to any gigs in lisenced premises. so we just have to wait for promotors etc to opperate a hand-stamping system or similar while feeling left out together.
but by then i'll probably be 18

michelle
08-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Joe that really sucks! I'm flying to Toronto for the show. Maybe I can get Mr. Rice to sign a cd for you or something.

Joe
08-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Joe that really sucks! I'm flying to Toronto for the show. Maybe I can get Mr. Rice to sign a cd for you or something.

That would be amazing, I'm thinking I might try getting to the venue early to try to catch the band on their way in as someone suggested.If its not any trouble a signed cd would be awesome, let me know thecost of the cd so i can get you the money.

Gatsby
08-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Do you look anywhere near 18/19? you could always try going really early before they have the bouncers on the door and go with someone who looks 23+ so that people wont give you grief... otherwise id say stand outside and jump on damo or one of the band when they arrivesmileys/smiley4.gif

dara
08-24-2003, 10:40 PM
the thing is jeweller in the states anyhow i dont know about Canada they card everyone on the way in whether there 65 or 10

Gatsby
08-24-2003, 10:43 PM
yeah that sucks... go for the jumping on Damo idea then Joe smileys/smiley1.gif

michelle
08-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Joe I've never been to the Elmo, but I hear it's also a cafe during the day. Maybe you could catch the sound check.
A signed cd would be no trouble at all!

Sionna
08-26-2003, 02:56 PM
What about a fake id?If that doesnt work then cry and cry.....

LisaOBrien
08-26-2003, 08:57 PM
yeah id just sit on the curb outside and howl my eyes out....smileys/smiley19.gif <- me on the curb!

kavu478
08-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Joe that does indeed...suck.

Funky Avocado
08-27-2003, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't give up so easily.. Just get some crap id, any id(sh*t, get a library card with photo if you have to), and walk in with some balls..Thats all..Countless whippersnappers have done it before you(who hasn't?!?). Just use common sense, go in with a large crowd(hanging out at a venue early by yourself just pisses the bouncer off if you look obviously younger than 19 and makes you marked too), hang with someone older, etc..
Whatever you do, remember, you are a dude..Crying on the curb is absolutely unacceptable whatever the outcome is ;)

katinka
08-28-2003, 02:29 AM
If al the tips do not work, here's one: first fly to bangkok, go to kao-san road, take a photo of yourself with you, and search for the place where they make you a fake-journalist card. It looks real and it says it's made by the international press association in london.

he's worth it!

LisaOBrien
08-28-2003, 03:03 AM
crying ono the curb is the absolute best option when all other options are exasperated.....you know...it's happened all of once...just to keep my reputation up...yeah it's 4am..im drunk..dnot hold it against me!

kavu478
08-28-2003, 03:30 PM
...walk in with some balls..Thats all..Countless whippersnappers have done it before you(who hasn't?!?)... Whatever you do, remember, you are a dude..Crying on the curb is absolutely unacceptable whatever the outcome is ;)

make us proud, son.

Wheels
08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Just get there early and plead with Damien... is Lisa gonna be there? She'd be an even better bet...

Sionna
09-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Whats wrong with crying?It got me and my friend into the mosh pit for chilli´s,mwah ha ha

messyjessie
09-01-2003, 07:16 PM
ok... don't try jumping on damo, cuz i'll already be on top of him... let us have some privacy please smileys/smiley2.gif

and don't try a library card either... as the only id accepted here in a driver's license or passport... i'd definitely agree to get there early... some clubs don't start carding til around 9ish anyway... as long as you're with other people and you don't try to order alcohol, no one should really have any issues....
*but* if you can't get in... just give me a nudge, and i'll dismount damo so you can beg him to get you in... we'll be in the alley out back smileys/smiley2.gif
i hope it all works out for you! good luck!
jessie