PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic pickup problem

Tomarse
05-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey hey. Today I bought myself a Shadow SH330 pickup for my acoustic guitar but it doesn't fit in. smileys/smiley19.gifThe underside of the top of the guitarhas strengthening bits really close to the hole (sorry for the lack of technical terms)that stops it from sitting in place properley. Does anyone else use a pickup or know of a way round this problem? smileys/smiley5.gif

I only popped in to get some strings and came out with strings, a pickup and a mic! smileys/smiley36.gif

coreybyrnes
05-12-2004, 08:08 PM
if it doesn't sit properly you have two choices:

1. make it fit by sawing away at the soundhole until it fits

2. return it and find one that fits

Tomarse
05-13-2004, 10:42 PM
thanks corey.

i managed to get it to fit eventually. i was squashing the grippy cushion thing in the wrong direction. smileys/smiley9.gifManaged to get it to fit eventually with good ol fashioned brute force. Now I can piss people off even further away! smileys/smiley36.gif

Tomarse
05-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Another q tho, where do you guys run the cable that comes from it? Mine exits from the back end at the bottom i.e. right near the tapping board. It's a bit in the way tho. smileys/smiley5.gif

coreybyrnes
05-14-2004, 12:37 AM
tapping board? do you mean the pickguard (plastic piece below the strings where you strum?)? it looks like your pickup has a 12' cable that ends in a 1/4" male plug... if you are feeling up for it you could take out the end pin where the strap goes and run it through there. if you still need the strap pin because you like to wear a strap then you would have to figure something out like drilling another hole to pass the cable through... if you don't feel like doing that you can simply tape the cable down to the guitar like damien does for his taylor baby guitar if you look closely in this picture i cropped for youhttp://www.coreybyrnes.com/images/baby.jpg

Tomarse
05-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Wow Corey you're a star!! smileys/smiley10.gifsmileys/smiley10.gifsmileys/smiley10.gif

Yeah, I did mean pickguard. smileys/smiley9.gifoops. I think I'll go for the Damo method of simply taping it down. I've started to play with a strap because I would like to start doing some live stuff and have found that when standing, the cable is less of a problem anyway due to the slightly different angle of the guitar.

I would have liked to have used the pickup for some home recording too but it sounds a bit too "electric" so I'll stick to the good ol mic for that. smileys/smiley1.gif