PDA

View Full Version : Recording

Pughy
05-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Im really into recording and am just about to record a new demo of acustic stuff. Im recording through Cakewalk Sonar, Shure instrement mic, Audio Technica Dynamic mic, Got the motitors and stuff and a wide open mind to do it my way. Just wondering if anyone has some advice they wanna give me?

preman
05-22-2004, 07:37 AM
i think you might want to be more specific about what kind of advice you're looking for...

what are the models of the mics u're using? and what kind of monitors are u using? just out of curiosity....

Pughy
05-22-2004, 03:30 PM
right...the recording set up is as follows

Calkwalk Sonar Digitar MutiTrack Recording software, Shure PG57 Instrument mic, Audio Technica PRO 282 Dynamic Mic, Im using a set of high quality jvc speakers for mointors. ive got the other accusories like mic stands and vocal pop sheilds etc.

as for the advice....

im Know that damien recorded 0 in his house with 3 mics and an 8 track. which is fairly simple considering how it sounds...just wondered if anyone has done anything like that and can help with things like techniques to use when recoring with limited gear, Mix ideas, How to get a really full soundetc.there arent any drums to record on this demo, Acustic guitars, Bass,piano, some violin, and the vocals.

Anyone?

Edited by: Pughy

coreybyrnes
05-22-2004, 04:41 PM
should be pretty simple since you are not gonna try to mix in drums... with only two mics recording drums would be tricky but still doable... my best advice to you is take your time and experiment experiment experiment... it takes years and years to get good at recording and no matter what it'll come out decent, right? experiment with mic placement, eq'ing, setting up the room (more important that you think)... check out this forum as well (http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/)... lots of good info... i recommend going to the "newbies" forum first though because they'll tear into you if you go in asking blind questions... good luck and just keep fiddling around with everything until you find a sound you like... rushing a recording will most likely leave you unsatisfied

ps - get a preamp to run your instruments and mics through as running them straight into the pc will not give youthe bestresults... you can spend anywhere from $50 to $5000 on a mic preampEdited by: coreybyrnes

davidgow77
05-24-2004, 03:05 AM
I do alot of PC based recording at home. If you want a good guitar sound, you really need a condenser mic rather than a dynamic, as they tend to sound a bit thin. Tell us the following things and I can give you a few hints. I'm on UK time, so if you want some proper advice, then send me an email suggesting a time, and we can do the message thing on MSN (mmmm.. technical).

How are you intending to connect you mic/instrument to the PC soundcard???

Do you know about guide tracking and setting tempo correctly?

What FX plugins are you using (reverb etc)?

You can listen to my demos on my website, and check out Corey's too (he has orchestrations!) to see the difference in sound that can be achieved. The best thing is to experiment. And Corey is damn right about the preamps. If you can afford about £180, go for a Focusrite Trackmaster. This has a Class A preamp, compressor and EQ stage.

Edited by: davidgow77