PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic to Semi

Franchise
05-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Any idea how much it costs to convert an acoustic into a semi acoustic and where in Dublin i can get it done...?

coreybyrnes
05-21-2004, 01:14 AM
what is a "semi-acoustic" ???

do you mean you want to add electronics to it so you can plug it into amps and PA equipment?

Catch-22
05-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Yep thats it!

Franchise
05-21-2004, 01:36 AM
yeah exactly

coreybyrnes
05-21-2004, 02:18 AM
well the easiest way is to buy a pickup that will go in the soundhole, but those typically sounds like crap... the next step up would be going with a soundboard pickup like the lr baggs ibeam, k&k pure western, or the b-band ust... those should all set you back about $130 and then it'll need to be installed but it'll be the most pure sound you can get out of a plugged in acoustic - i personally have the ibeam in my acoustics for reference

Tomarse
05-22-2004, 06:24 PM
well the easiest way is to buy a pickup that will go in the soundhole, but those typically sounds like crap...

Yep, found that out the hard way. smileys/smiley19.gif

davidgow77
05-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Any good guitar shop will be able to fit one for you. I use a Fishman Transducer pickup (which cost about 160euros to buy & install), with a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal as a preamp (circa 100euros). Basically when you're adding electrics you have two components to consider: the pre-amp and the pickup. Spend the majority of your money on the pickup (Fishman andLR Baggs are genrally considered the best) and then see how much you have left for a preamp. Most preamps are fitted to the guitar, but if you get this done, get it at the same time as the pick up is fitted (you'll save at leat 40euros on fitting costs). On board preamps are a better option, but the GE-7 pedal givesa much wider range of sounds. On board preamps range from about 100euros up to whatever you want to spend. Also, consider just trading in your acoustic to something like a Takamine G series, or a Simon & Patrick. Aim for a total spend of 250 euros and you won't go far wrong.