PDA

View Full Version : Vocal Distortion?

mjb79
06-07-2004, 02:55 PM
hey guys, i am having a hard time getting a good vocal distortion while playing live. i have a two mic set up, one for clean vocals and the other for distortion. i know its been discussed before, but what's Damien's set up for his second, distorted mic? mic type? distortion/overdrive pedal? volume pedal? pre-amp?

i get a good sound during my verses, but when i get louder in the choruses, the overall volume decreases. its almost like its too much for the mic. anybody got a clue?

i'm using a Sure 87A for clean and a Sure 58 > Boss Overdrive > Boss Delay > P.A. for distortion.

any help is greatly appreciated!

~mike www.mikebergermusic.com (http://www.mikebergermusic.com)

transoptic
06-09-2004, 10:23 PM
It's probably b/c your PA can't handle the distortion. Make sure all compressors or limiters are turned off. Start with a low volume and gradually turn it up to a comfortable level.

coreybyrnes
06-10-2004, 01:51 AM
you will most likely have better luck with a 57 for the distortion... what is the actual path you're running? are you running each mic into its own channel on the PA? what kind of PA are you using... there are a lot of factors that would be causing you troubles...

melt me down
06-17-2004, 09:44 AM
there are actual mics designed specifically for distorition mike. they are hanf held, silver and look almost 50's style. well i have seen bands use them and they create that incredible i rember and prague effect. as for the tecno stuff, i am of no use. good luck!

mjb79
06-18-2004, 01:52 PM
i think it was my compressor that was giving me a hard time. i also taped my mic.... i think that helped with the feedback too.

thanks for the input!

~mike