PDA

View Full Version : Recording

J.M.C
06-19-2004, 08:04 PM
I am really wanting to buy a multitrack recorder and i herd damien recorded O on one so i was wondering has ne1 got one they can advice or no of a good one or even know what damien used. Ihave seen a 10 track boss recorder which looks pretty gud what do you think ???

http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p17048b.jpg

ne help on how to get a sound like damiens on O wud b very helpful.

cneill
06-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Don't know which one Damien used, but a friend of mine recorded an album on a Tascam 788. It sounds top notch, but he did use top notch mics and amps and a top notch mixer. I think in the price range of the Boss above most recorders will be comparable in quality, but may offer different features. Ease of use actually makes a difference. There's nothing quite as bad as being in a really creative mood and wanting to lay something down, only to have that creativity squashed by half an hour of trying to get the damn thing todo whatyou want it to. Also, if you're not going to use an external mixer then bigger is better for mixing purposes. You want long smooth sliders for smooth mixes. Also look at inputs. I don't know about the Boss, but the Tascam I think only had two xlr inputs. Without the use of an external mixer, this makes properly recording a drum kit or a live band withmultiple acoustic instruments and vocalistsvirtually impossible. Decide exactly how limited you are willing to be and just what you want to use it for. There're many more things to consider. I'm sure others have more advice. Sorry I don't know much about the Boss off hand.

isaac
06-20-2004, 04:51 AM
How many instruments are you going to have, first of all, and what equipment do you currently own?

fluffyspoon
06-28-2004, 02:06 AM
the br1180's a pretty good sounding unit, but these things really depend on your price range, current equipment and type of music your wanting to record.

Given you're a damo fan i'm imagining it's acoustic stuff with just rhythm,vox and backing. In this case there's a few things your gonna need as bare minimum.

Firstly, i'd recommend using your computer as your studio rather than buying a boss unit 'cause you've clearly already got one and you get more freedom.

1)alway's left out... decent leads

2)mic, a large-diaphragm condensor's best. they've shot down to the £100 mark now as well, thanks to cheap korean manufacture (have a look at superlux, studio projects, ADK)

3)stand, shock-mount, pop-shield, (the latter two essential for good quality vox)

4)pre-amp to raise the line level of your mic, shop around and get a deal for the mic and pre-amp again you can get deals with valve preamps for a ton

5)decent quality soundcard, don't ruin everything with a sh*te card.

6)software, steinberg whatever you like the feel of

you can prob pick up all this gear if your good at shopping for £300. read-up before buying though and have a look in magazines like sound-on-sound, you'll learn a lot.

But anyway, with the aforementioned gear and with a bit of software tweeking, ie. compression, eq etc. you should be able to get a sh*t-hot sound at the end.

have fun...

fluffyspoon
06-28-2004, 02:09 AM
ooh sh*t 4got, a crappy little mixer as well. one of those tiny behringer units'll do the trick just make sure it's got 48v phantom-power as it's essential from pretty much all condensors.

------spoon's are essential to the survival of the human race-------

-oli
06-28-2004, 09:09 AM
J.M.C. how much is that boss one

im having the same troubles as you, except iv not got ANYTHING yet.

i heard damien just bought a basic recorder but THE BEST MICROPHONES MONEY CAN BUY. he's a definate mic person

what price range should i be looking at for

a) a really really good mic for recording guitar and recording vocals

b) a good 4 track digital recorder

i reckon 4 will be enough cause if i need, say 5 tracks, i can just record the other tracks onto 1 and then have three spare again.

coreybyrnes
06-28-2004, 02:24 PM
what price range should i be looking at for

a) a really really good mic for recording guitar and recording vocals

b) a good 4 track digital recorder

a) $100-$5,000

b) $100-$5,000

what's your price range... what's the most you'll be willing to spend...

i reckon 4 will be enough cause if i need, say 5 tracks, i can just record the other tracks onto 1 and then have three spare again.

just be aware that there will be sound quality loss when you squash tracks like that... depends on the recording device but if you're running analog the degradation of sound will be noticeable...

-oli
06-28-2004, 02:37 PM
i was lookin for something digital

cheers man, thats really helped.

5000!!!? that's so much for a mic!

i was thinkin more like 150-200, but thats high also

i guess it depends on how deep y are into it!, i dont reckon it right to spend sooo much on my first mic! i want a reasonably cheap digital recorder... for the purpose of recording guitar, vocals and maybe a little percussion...

suggestions!?

coreybyrnes
06-28-2004, 04:36 PM
studio projects B1 for the mic

if you're going digital i'd recommend using your pc if you're keeping it pretty simple with just vocals, guitars, and a little percussion... you'll just need a decent soundcard and the software... also a little behringer mixer for the 48v power and preamp