PDA

View Full Version : Strumming aids

jonner
06-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Just wondering besides a pick/plectrum what other strumming aids are available, I have noticed watching Damo playing he seems to have an attachment on his thumb to get that lovely soft sound, I know you cant beat just using the thumb to strum for a nice soft sound but it can make strumming a little harder....just wondering if anyone had any advice on something to buy to help out

Michelle Joey
06-29-2004, 08:14 AM
I plan on asking my guitar teacher this week what that thing is Jonner.

HydeBurns
06-29-2004, 08:15 AM
You said it all right there. Just use your thumb. If you find it difficult.....then practice. What is guitar playing but alot of practicing? I rarely even use a pick on my acoustic. Nothing beats my thumb or fingernails.

Enoch
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
There are picks which go over your thumb also.

HydeBurns
06-29-2004, 08:36 AM
There are picks which go over your thumb also.

I bought one of those once and tried it out. It Freaked me out man. Guess I'm just too much of a naturalist.

Enoch
06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
I don't like them either, I prefer to use just my fingers when playing "fingerstyle" but the thumbpick can be used to good effect, playing the chunkier bass-notesin picked or strummedarpeggios. I see a lot of folk and countryplayers using them.

jonner
06-29-2004, 12:30 PM
So it looks like its thumbs only.....but I remember someone telling me bout somekind of rubber attachment you can get for the thumb or maybe it was just drunk talk....oh and what do you think....Martin d-15 or a Lowden for a new guitar

Enoch
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
....oh and what do you think....Martin d-15 or a Lowden for a new guitar

If only I had the money! I'd go for the Martin

jayavo
06-29-2004, 05:28 PM
i learned without a pick and prefer to play without a pick. have always used my thumb. ive been amazed at what my fingers can take while banging on the guitar or strumming like mad.