PDA

View Full Version : Can’t stop playing?

Juzzza
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
What song do you keep playing over and over again? You know what it's like, you work out a song and just can't stop singing and playing it... Much to your girlfriends/boyfriends/neighbour's delight!!!

For me at the moment it's Amie (I just love the chord progression) and Ben Harper's Diamonds on the inside (I love the vibe of the song).

What about you?

Daniel
07-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Lucas, cobweb and dreams from Real CD (http://www.irishsingersongwriters.com/artists/Lucas/Lucas.html)

looly
07-12-2004, 03:33 PM
hmmmm......depends on the mood. at the moment I'm in a happy mood and can't stop playing Roesy's 'Only Love Is Real'. I know it's got a bit of a country beat to it but it's got a great tempo and makes me feel happy.http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif And tomorrow it'll be something else. I get quite addicted to a lot of songs for while, then change over to something completely different smileys/smiley5.gif, confusing, I know.

good thread.smileys/smiley32.gif

MelodyMakerMan
07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
i've never really been one for singing other peoples songs alone, i'd prefer to jam around and then subconciously write something..

but i will admit, I've been collared on more than one occassion for giving a rendition of coldwater a little too loud.

Juzzza
07-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Get out of here melody maker!!! Even Damo plays and sings other people's stuff...

mestonf
07-12-2004, 05:04 PM
ermm...mine would probably be Eve the Apple of my eye - Bell X1

tomas
07-12-2004, 08:01 PM
I've been playing Neil Young's The Needle And The Damage Done from his Unplugged album a lot lately...

Tommo
07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
I cant stop playing the introduction to Muse's Plug In Baby.
They were awesome at Glastonbury. smileys/smiley17.gif

indigoangel
07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
toffeepop is one ill never tire of listening to smileys/smiley1.gif

hazey
07-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Josh Rouse's albums, the Ears To The Ground track in particular.They have that summery feel... when you don't want the summer to end... ever.

hazey
07-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Oh wait!I just got what this thread is about. And I'm not a musician. smileys/smiley5.gifDummy!

Alistair
07-12-2004, 08:33 PM
when just fiddling about, finger picking my way around at some point i usually end up going into street spirit

Tommo
07-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Street spirit! Thats a great song!!!!! smileys/smiley17.gif

The Weatherman
07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
I was confused there for a while too!

When i first started learning the guitar, i could only play the riff from "Stand By Me". And i played it ALL day, without taking one break. Needless to say, i hate that song now!

tomas
07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Josh Ritter's songs are great to play too...smileys/smiley4.gif

MelodyMakerMan
07-13-2004, 02:02 PM
is it me or does bellx1 'deep' sound like street spirit....???

hippy shakes
07-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Can't Stop by the chilli's is a great riff. Always splaying that at the mo and John Squire guitar parts. Couple of songs off of Love is Hell by Ryan Admas which is a work of genius. Other than that I used to keep breaking in to Mary Had a Little Lamb by Stevie Ray Vaughan and horror of all horrors More Than Words by Extreme. That pissed all my mamates off

ronan
07-13-2004, 04:55 PM
cant stop playin Norwegian wood by the beatles, the riff is pretty simple but sounds so good especially when you have another acoustic guitar strummin e and d as you play it,

Juzzza
07-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Alright, I am now addicted to 'Eskimo' I just love playing it!!!

Also enjoying a new tune of my own called 'My run' which at last has got me through my mellow/dark phase (too much Damo smileys/smiley2.gif) and it is quite funky and uplifting... Hope to get into a studio soon.

Tink
07-14-2004, 08:33 AM
I cant stop singingBaby sister at the moment it is constantly in my head i love the song

LostCause
07-14-2004, 07:42 PM
These last days its been the intro to Ben Harpers "Power Of The Gospel". I thought it was so difficult, but it's soo simple. I've been playing "Blowers Daughter pt.1/2 alot too. And now I got Bon Jovi's "These Days" on my mind.

07-26-2004, 09:55 PM
cold water, but also otis redding - sitting on the dock of the bay. excellent song

mattbeswick
07-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Volcano... but in different styles. I love playing around with the palm muting - building the song up slowly, then going back down again... don't know why - just seems really relaxing :)

Miss Pink
07-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I cant stop singing Baby sister at the moment it is constantly in my head i love the song

my god i love singing baby sister!!!! Ans its really easy to play on the guitar

I play hallelujah alot and i adore playing it........this may sound weird but hear me out............ recently i was playing hallelujah and i was falling asleep as i was playing it on my guitar.......dnt ask me how i just was nodding off......i was sssooo relaxed whilst playing it and i was falling asleep but i still managed to play it no problem and play it pretty well.......dont ask me how

07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
i know what you mean, u hands follow the right pattern and you drift off with the music.

lonelilly_lil
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
has to be delicate...cuz it's so...well....delicate

and tears in heaven cuz i love the peacefullness of it

LostCause
07-27-2004, 09:31 AM

Oh, tears in heaven is a lovely song. Poor E. Clapton. The lyrics is really sad when youre thinking about that he wrote the song for his son.

07-27-2004, 09:35 AM
yea i love playing it, last easter i was away with mates at a course and there were a couple of guitars, on the last day i played that and everyone was crying (me included). beautiful song smileys/smiley36.gif

lucyoliver
08-08-2004, 04:27 AM
I really love the song Sand....That was the first Damien Rice song I ever heard. smileys/smiley19.gif

Lucy

PhoenixDeviance
08-11-2004, 01:03 AM
i cant get off of i remember and the professor. very addictive once you get it down

jclapt38
08-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Ok, this song can be very difficult to learn, but it is the greatest tab of all time! and i cant stop playing it.

Anji - Bert Jansch

give it a try

http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?filename=/j/jansch_ber (http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?filename=/j/jansch_bert/anji.tab) t/anji.tab

Pierre-Marie
08-22-2004, 10:06 AM
I can't stop playin these one avec mon parfait English tout pourri :

"the boy with the bubblegun" -Tom Mc Rae

"Keep on rockin' in the free world" - Neil Young

"Blower's daughter" (anonymous ?)

Si_B
08-22-2004, 09:41 PM
I love playing I Remember, especially the second bit! I strum it so hard and shout it out loud! Pretty sure everyone around me is bored of hearing it now tho! Also Amie is good to play.

lonelilly_lil
08-22-2004, 09:45 PM
love playing older chests. i know it's pretty simple, but its such a beautiful tune.

and hallelujah of course. though want to be able to play cold water or cannonball into hallelujah, that would be wicked. Haven't quite figured it out yet though

Livo
08-23-2004, 08:29 PM
i alllllllllllways play the frames' revelate. my friends and family are sick to
death of it! also pixies' where is my mind and holiday song and here
comes your man.

graves
08-24-2004, 01:26 PM

Delicate and Tears in Heaven are great songs... I love playing them over and over again. And Blackbird from Beatles as well...

damosgirl
08-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Me lately Citizen Erased by Muse, Irish Blood English Heart by Morrissey, Amie because it's just beautiful, and Bliss by Muse.smileys/smiley4.gif

maccas81
09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
thats amore by dean martin....great fun!!

Closing Doors
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I've been playing Amie loads lately, mainly because I love messing round with loops Damien uses for the outro !

-oli
09-02-2004, 05:43 PM
^you mean:

(whispered)"looooooooost.......with you...or am i lost..."etc

Gazel
09-02-2004, 05:45 PM
I think your thinkin about Cold Water Olismileys/smiley5.gif

-oli
09-02-2004, 05:51 PM
shy-ser.

B-Flat
09-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Jeff Buckley's rendition of Hallelujah without a doubt, its sad, angry and beautiful all at the same time.

Rest In Peace Jeff

Closing Doors
09-03-2004, 08:47 PM
^you mean:

(whispered)"looooooooost.......with you...or am i lost..."etc

No that's cold water !! I play that a lot too though - it's great craic to build from a whisper to a scream. But I was talking about the loops he does at the end of Amie where he makes those weird spaceship noises!

Tomarse
09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh some beauties mentioned here already. I'd have to agree with Hallelujah andI remember though I also can't resist any of the unplugged Eric stuff - yummie! Cannonball is another damo fave of mine to play. smileys/smiley1.gif

Over the last week I 've been playing 0% Interest and Unfold both by the amazing Jason Mraz. *Sigh* I wish I could write like that, maybe I should actually try! smileys/smiley36.gif

rearviewmirror
09-11-2004, 05:16 PM
i love to play runaway train such nice song with a lyric dedicated to children that have been kidnapped.

And i love to look on a Damo tab and change chords and so on

amie is a fine song to play

Jgrg1984
09-11-2004, 07:15 PM
elliott smith, twilight

..its on his last album comign out in october...if you havent heard or him or would like to hear more, go to sweetadeline.net

its his official site, and they have a ton of info about him and the newsong twilight is up to download on the main page. Check him out

Nathaniel
09-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Jack Johnson - Flake - its fantastic to play and sing

Mr Rice - Volcano - just cos I love getting into the "what I give to you" bit and the falsetto bit in "what makes me bleed"

Ben Harper - Another Lonely Day - just because its gorgeous

chris p
09-21-2004, 03:13 PM
chris p here andnewbie i am. been playing for about 7 years and just gotten into damo only a few months ago. what else can i say but i think O is one of the best albums ever recorded. damo's songwriting is also out of this world. Great to seea song writer with big enough balls to get up there and make real music with real feeling. i love him!!!!!

At first couldn't stop playing Older Chests, just played it everywhere. but lately i've realised i can sing Volcano, so i've been playing that one. also my girlfriend woke up with volcano in her head.. so i worked on it to impress her. it worked, thanks damosmileys/smiley9.gif(just wish i could write like that). cheers all damo muso's!!!!Edited by: chris p

Nathaniel
09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
yeah chris, singing heartfelt damoshould beenough to impress any girl with a modicum of intelligence, although I often failed to have the conversational skills or personality to back it up with! Damo can only take me so far.... dammitsmileys/smiley36.gif

chris p
09-21-2004, 03:47 PM
hi Nathaniel, i'm lucky she loves me.. i havn't got the gift of falseto..smileys/smiley6.gif

Actually playing damo doesn't go all that well down here in Australia. It seems hardlyany bodyknows who he is. I was lucky enough to see him on the off chance on theLetterman show. i dont know how else i would i've heard about him. as you may well know he is coming down to visit nxt month and i've got my ticket.. cant see the show selling outthough. such a pity, although i may be wrong. i've read his shows have sold out just about everywhere else, it'll be interesting to see what happens here in Brisbane, Australia..?Edited by: chris p

Nathaniel
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
falsetto just takes practise fella, I couldnt do it properly 1 yr and a half ago!

Its criminal that damo gigs are not selling out, but I remember this time about 2yrs ago none of my friends had heard of him except me and this guy called luke who worked in a bar on the coast - we then went on a two man mission to spread the word. it seems to have worked!

Anyway must dash gotta a gig at a local uni tonight. Good to chat dude take care man.

chris p
09-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Cheers nathaniel, have a good gig!! catch you soon hopefully

stargift
09-23-2004, 03:01 PM
"My Vampire Heart" by Tom Mcrae

Edited by: stargift

Lazy Life
09-26-2004, 08:19 AM
well err... i cant stop playing gay messiah, and i also play a song i wrote called 'I Need You' over and over, playing it in my room until 2am, much to everyone in my house's dismay...

philio
10-25-2004, 05:26 PM
black crows-she talks to angels.open e tuning,sounds great when you hit the harmonics.

cannonball is also a favourite at the moment

shane_b
10-25-2004, 06:39 PM
if i could play any song i think it would be blowers daughter, but i can only play "the horse with no name" ( a 2 chord song) n i don't like it, i can play a bit to sittin on the dock of the bay though

dramaking
10-25-2004, 06:46 PM
look out for my love - neil young

great song!

Donsie B!
10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
this one my friend wrote!

Juzzza
10-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Amen Omen ~ Ben Harper, I love singing this and it's four chords pretty much.

I have a new tune of my own I enjoy at the moment called 'I'm so cold, son' which is very different to my other stuff so it's fun and refreshing to bang it out.

Lonelily ~ Becoming one of my fave Damo tunes, but then I think I am just starved of new material so am going through all the b-sides stuff!!! I have lonelily on vinyl smileys/smiley17.gif

Nathaniel
10-26-2004, 09:22 AM
also ben harper at the mo - two hands of prayer and another lonely day and a new one of my own and also last post on the bugle by the libertines

Juzzza
10-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Gigs Friday and Sunday, can't stop playing the setlist!!!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=568>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="61%">
<UL>
<LI>Delicate</LI>[/list]</TD>
<TD vAlign=top width="39%">

Damien Rice</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="61%">
<LI>This year's love</LI></TD>
<TD vAlign=top width="39%">