PDA

View Full Version : learning guitar

milky
08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
hey

need people's advice going to start taking lessons to learn how to play accoustic guitar, any1 any suggestions about type of guitar to buy where to go to get lessons etc?

cheerssmileys/smiley2.gif

jayavo
08-03-2004, 02:29 PM
i just started playing about 2 years ago...but this is how i did....

got a cheap guitar with plastic strings. allowed me to get used to the guitar without the frustration of sore fingers. i didnt take lessons, just learned the basic chords...A, E , C, D , G

then i just sat and tried different strumming patterns to those chords for a while, then got a cheap , but at least real, guitar. a couplepeople i know that tried to learn specific songs right away were very stiff and never really learned easy strumming. but everyones different.

jason

"Guitar playing and mathematics and zen and the mysteries of the universe are all linked, so playing guitar gets me closer to enlightenment."

Enoch
08-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Practice Practice Practice .... and play songs that you like, not the sh*tesome books try to teach you.

milky
08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
cheers for these guys thoughts of sore fingers doesnt quite appeal to me so might take ur advice jason, ill keep ye posted of my rise from a guitar virgin to an accomplishedsolo artist

Jgrg1984
08-03-2004, 05:24 PM
ive been playing for a bit of time now and i jusat recently started taking lessons, not to learn how to play, but to learn the theory and reading and such. With the internet and eskimofriends you can learn to play just be reading tabs. Start slow, power chords, simple open chords, and gradually move on. Dont stress about learning full songs, thats my biggest advice, learn parts that you want to learn, so you can get better at doing certain things and then the full songs will come without you even knowing it

Closing Doors
08-03-2004, 07:47 PM
any suggestions about type of guitar to buy where to go to get lessons etc?

I'm a guitar teacher so you can come to me for lessons if you like smileys/smiley2.gif

lucyoliver
08-04-2004, 12:53 AM
HAHA if you can play more chords then the band Green Day then you are doing really well. smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifCheers! and good luck to you Milky! Great name by the way, I love it, Milky, that's brilliant! Lucy

milky
08-04-2004, 07:57 AM
HAHA if you can play more chords then the band Green Day then you are doing really well. smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifCheers! and good luck to you Milky! Great name by the way, I love it, Milky, that's brilliant! Lucy

thank!!

milky
08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=milky]

i'm a guitar teacher so you can come to me for lessons if you like smileys/smiley2.gif

are u really?smileys/smiley1.gif

Closing Doors
08-04-2004, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=milky]

i'm a guitar teacher so you can come to me for lessons if you like smileys/smiley2.gif

are u really?smileys/smiley1.gif

Yeah, it's a fun job - any job where you get to play guitar is a blast.

lally
08-04-2004, 08:21 PM
ur not alone milky.

i've always had the ambition to learn to play the guitar - its one of those things i've always wanted to do. hence, thats y i admire guitar players - whether it be the guitar players such as damien rice; or a busker on the streets of ireland.

anyway, i bought a £100 acoustic guitar (with the help from my sister) about 6 months ago. i've tried learning the chords, but my strumming just never sounds rite. i've even considered the idea of getting guitar lessons from a guy wholives near me (he advertised a while ago). but yet, 6 months later i have got no further!!! aw well, im hoping sum1 at uni will perhaps be able to teach me lol.