PDA

View Full Version : Gig Songs!

Lynchpin
08-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey folks,

Here's how it is-we're playin a gig on b 18th of septand we really need some ideas for good songs that get crowds on ur side. we've got 1 guitar and a singer- so any suggestions wud be greatly appreciated!

Help!

SisterMidnight
08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Well Born To Be Wild and Freebird are always a hit... but wait... that was in the biker bar I used to work at. smileys/smiley36.gifLemme think on that one... What type of place/crowd will you be playing to?

Lynchpin
08-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Em, kinda bar audience-like minded people. but they've heard rice 2 many times!

Gatsby
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
some david gray maybe? thrown in with a few dylan songs (easy to play and listen to) "freefalling" by tom petty is always good

ill try think of more

TiptoeMushroom
08-19-2004, 11:26 PM
pixies and pink floyd maybe?

how long will yous' be playing for?

hippy shakes
08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Can't go wrong with a bit of Tracy Chapman, Bill Withers, David Gray etc etc. Also if it's just a guitar and a singer then re-arrange some classics like a rolling stones song or The Beatles. They sound good on one guitar.

Diarmo
08-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Give them some good old Paddy Casey

smalltownrockst
08-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Covers I do in my acoustic set - not all in one set, I hardly ever do, but if i do - i'll do

wonderwall - Ryan adams version of
cannonball - er, i forget the fellas name who wrote that.
ordinary world - duran duran
don't dream it's over - neil finn
morning glory/one i love - noel gallagher/REM
I remember - damo!!
There is a light -The Smiths

i have also done fake plastic trees, creep (radiohead) and mad world (gary jules) in the past (Mad world went down particularly well.)

sonofelvis
08-24-2004, 10:28 AM
went to a session on saturday night

and played

smoke 2 joints by Sublime ran into

Volcano (reggae version) ran into

dont worry be happy by bobby mc ferrin (is that right??)

finished with

i will survive by Gloria Gaynor

rocked the house, ruled the party.

mestonf
08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
quite a good mix there elvis!

cille
08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
cannonball - er, i forget the fellas name who wrote that.

smileys/smiley24.giferrhm, it's supertramp (http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Supertramp/Cannonball.html), k..?

smileys/smiley2.gifnaah, i'd love to hear you perform those songs. i love 'mad world'.

mestonf
08-24-2004, 10:32 AM
good work cille! smileys/smiley36.gif

made me laugh!

smalltownrockst
08-24-2004, 10:32 AM
well hopefully soon i'll have a live version of cannonball to give emmet and maybe he'll put it on this site.

also, once my site is finished and published it should have a few live gigs on it to download -i'll make sure mad world is on there once it's all sorted.

smalltownrockstar.co.uk

but that'll be about a month off.

sonofelvis
08-24-2004, 10:34 AM
quite a good mix there elvis!

thanks felix!!

it was all a bit spur of the moment!!
there were others playing the ususal coldplay and the like, i ended up with the guitar and got to work!!

felt good, it doesnt always work out well for me when i end up in a situation like that, but it did then, gives me oul confidence a boost y'know!!

-oli
08-24-2004, 01:58 PM
dont play cheers darlin

(i learned the hard way)

darraghjm
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
primal scream - rocks

mic christopher - heyday

paddy casey - saints and sinners

autamata - postscript

and something strange that will surprise people recently i heard somebody do whitetown - my woman acousticly and it sounded brilliant, and as far as i remember its only three chords so easy to play. here it is Stevie Mac - Your Woman (http://www.mixmastermac.co.uk/mytunes/Stevie%20Mac%20-%20Your%20Woman.mp3)Edited by: darraghjm

mestonf
08-24-2004, 02:12 PM
dont play cheers darlin

(i learned the hard way)</font>

whys that oli?

hard song to play?

Lynchpin
08-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Wats da chords to Saints and Sinners?