PDA

View Full Version : Veggie or not Veggie

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Silly topic reallysmileys/smiley17.gifbut i was bored and it just popped into my head while re-reading the vegetarian chicken soup post, so who is a vegetarian in this forum smileys/smiley36.gif,

Im a Veggie been one for a month smileys/smiley1.gif

ps sorry if this has been asked before

WeeAngel
09-20-2004, 04:17 PM
i was one for a while but cudnt resist the smell of a lovely fry!!!!

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 04:19 PM
smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

rosey
09-20-2004, 04:28 PM
I've been veggie for over 20 years ......I've never felt like eating meat in all that time

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 04:31 PM
wow smileys/smiley32.gif

rosey
09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
the last meat I ate was bunny stew......

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 04:33 PM
smileys/smiley11.gif

Nathaniel
09-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Bacon sarnie for brekkie this mornin.

rosey
09-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Bacon sarnie for brekkie this mornin.

tardiness I can cope with ...but not this..

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 04:41 PM
rosey what do u eat instead of meat coz i buy tescos veggie food and thats really nice but im not keen onthe quornstuff but i think i'll get used to itsmileys/smiley1.gif

Nathaniel
09-20-2004, 04:46 PM
I know I know butevery now and again I crave somethings flesh. I tried to stop at uni, but it was walking past those greasy spoons - damn them and their grease, I lasted like about 3 months, the smell of bacon and coffee in the morning was just too much! I'm soooooo sorry, I must be punished, I must be purged for my weakness!

Sionna
09-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Nothing better than a greasy fry up smileys/smiley4.gif

Wheels
09-20-2004, 06:03 PM
16 years or so for me.

Sarahukuk, make sure you talk to a dietician... being a vegitarian is very healthy, if done correctly. But you could easily miss out on some vitamins or nutrients... so find out... you should probably take some vitamin supplements, but you should probably do that anyway! smileys/smiley4.gif

rosey
09-20-2004, 06:06 PM
rosey what do u eat instead of meat coz i buy tescos veggie food and thats really nice but im not keen on*the quorn*stuff but i think i'll get used to itsmileys/smiley1.gif

I don't mind quorn but I prefer tofu or other soya based things...and there's always good old baked beans.

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 06:08 PM
cheers wheels i do that, i have to be carefull what i eat coz im allergic to nuts, and i dont eat fish oh and i hate swallowing tablets smileys/smiley11.gif

indigoangel
09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
wheels speaks wisely! smileys/smiley1.gifits best to get advice on diet changes like this, especially since youve probably been eating meat all your life, youll need to research how to replace everything youre dropping from your diet.

i admire veggies, its hard to let go of something integral to your diet, and tasty too! i dont eat much meat, the guilt gets to me! smileys/smiley5.gifmy mum tries to get me to give thanks to the spirit of the animal for giving its life up for me, but i cant help the guilty and disgusted feelings sometimes - i know one of these days ill be choosing the veggie path too!

congratulations on your month of success, long may it continue sarahukuk smileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley32.gif

rosey
09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
* I'm soooooo sorry, I must be punished, I must be purged for my weakness!

Nathaniel, the stalking is back on

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 06:14 PM
thank you indigoangel

concetta
09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
16 years or so for me.

Sarahukuk, make sure you talk to a dietician... being a vegitarian is very healthy, if done correctly. But you could easily miss out on some vitamins or nutrients... so find out... you should probably take some vitamin supplements, but you should probably do that anyway! smileys/smiley4.gif

i was been vegetarian for 4 years (3 with no fish and 4with no meat).. and i agree with wheels.. it's important follow a diet and integrate with vitamins etc..
i quit cause i felt bad, i was been too weak to keep on without some meat, fish and other stuff. i arrived to haven t enough force.. i was been really stupid! and i needed about 1 year to get over..
so guys, bein vegetarian is really a good thing, and i admire who do it. but attention to the diet..dont be stupid like me! smileys/smiley2.gif

#Ian#
09-20-2004, 06:25 PM
But meat is lovely.

Obviously mu ignorant friend has never heard of the food chain. smileys/smiley1.gif (Simpson's quote for those that don't know it, I know how tetchy vegitarians can be)

Gazel
09-20-2004, 06:27 PM
ahh the simpsons......

*sings: you dont win friends with salad! you dont win freinds with salad*smileys/smiley36.gif

indigoangel
09-20-2004, 06:29 PM
I know how tetchy vegitarians can be)

and theyre going to be especially "techy" if you generalize them like that smileys/smiley36.gif

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 06:53 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif

rosey
09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm not tetchy.........am I?

I never preach to anyone because they eat meat and I don't (well maybe in fun).....each to his/her own, I say

tasha039
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
not a vegetarian, but the only meat I eat is chicken. Can't eat pork cause I'm jewish, don't like the taste of red meat, despise fish worse than Brittany Spears...but I do have a special affinity for avocadoes...god how I love them...

Lemonhead
09-20-2004, 07:22 PM
16 years or so for me.

i agree... my biology teacher has me convinced that i'm anaemic!!smileys/smiley5.gif

or maybe she was just testing for hypochondriacs...

Hannah650
09-20-2004, 07:27 PM
I used to consider goin veggie, even if it was just for lent or whatever. But then once i thought a bit more about it i figured hey,eating animals is allpart of the food chain - just the same as animals eat other animals in the wild. I think that God intended it to be like that.

However its great that people like yourselves can stick it out, regardless of the reasons behind it - whether its for morals or simply dsliking meat - fair play to ya, tis a great sacrifice!

Libby
09-20-2004, 07:58 PM
I have been a vegetarian since I was 6 years old. My family are all meat eaters and it is my choice, so I have never tried to impose my views on to anyone else.

Wheels is right Sarah, do make sure you keep your vitamins up and make sure you get enough protein. I recommend Spirulina in powder form, and Vitamin C in powder form. It is worth seeing a dietician so they can help you work out a healthy eating plan.

I love Tofu and falafel and houmous.I would advise you to be careful of Quorn as quite a few people (including myself) are allergic to it.

Tryborrowing some vege cookbooks from the library and experimenting with your recipes too, as Supermarket stuff can get a little boring!

Hendrik
09-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Not veggie.

Anyone here who knows people who are "Fruktaner" (couldn't find an english word for that)? They are a hardcore version of a Veggie (Vegetarian - Veganer - Fruktaner). They only eat the fruits that are fallen down, they don't pick them from a tree e.g.

Gazel
09-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Vegan i think, don't know if theyre extreme as that tho.

Hendrik
09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Anyone here ever tried horse meat? When I was a little child I ate that (weekly market)...and I have to admit that it tastes just like normal salami.

Livo
09-20-2004, 08:35 PM
yeah i think he means vegan, they don't eat or drink or use anything
that's come from an animal..which i really don't agree with because if
you didn't milk a cow it would get sick and die, and if you didn't let
a chicken have eggs it would die as well.

i'm not a vegetarian, i get accused frequently of being a carnivore. i
have no problem with vegetarians, except the ones who try to make you
like them and give you dirty looks when you eat meat

Hendrik
09-20-2004, 08:46 PM
No, there's a more blatant form of a Vegetarian/Vegan. I don't mean Vegans (I know what they are like), I mean Fructans/Fruiterianer (?) (german: Fruktaner; they eat only dead fruits) or whatever they are called... Edited by: Hendrik

indigoangel
09-20-2004, 08:49 PM
wow that sounds extreme hendrik, never heard of that before. i have heard of jainism, which is a faith that cares so much for all life that the most extreme followers do not wash nor eat much at all - i dont know much about it, just came across it in a novel once.

Hendrik
09-20-2004, 08:53 PM
<a href="http://www.preecom.dk/indhold/hvad_er_en_vegetar.htm" target="_blank">Fruitaner (frugtspiser)
Håber du kan lide æbler og pærer - for fruitaneren spiser primært frugter. Definitionen er, at man ikke dræber planter. Eksempelvis kan en pære plukkes uden at træet dræbes - en gulerod kan ikke hives op uden at dræbe planten, så gulerødder er fy-fy. Her gælder naturligvis samme B12 advarsel som for veganer.</a> CILLE!! Help us translating this please. smileys/smiley1.gif

Hannah650
09-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Henny u just reminded me of the film Notting Hill, where one of Hugh Grants dates is a fruitariansmileys/smiley36.gif

indigoangel
09-20-2004, 08:55 PM
smileys/smiley5.gif= what my face looked like when i clicked on that link hendrik

smileys/smiley36.gifi cannot speak german

sarahukuk
09-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Henny u just reminded me of the film Notting Hill, where one of Hugh Grants dates is a fruitariansmileys/smiley36.gif

yeah i remember that bit smileys/smiley36.gif

Hendrik
09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh my god, don't let that read our Cille! It's DANISH, not deutsch!!!! smileys/smiley36.gif

People, I think I found a good definition (stolen from a german board and translated by me)

"Fruitarier"/Fruitarians only eat fruits, nuts and seeds. Fruitarians think, that it is wrong to kill a plant, if you disroot it or rip down its leaves. Allegedly they only eat fruits that are fallen down (and NOT ripped down!!).Edited by: Hendrik

ali*
09-20-2004, 09:11 PM
ther is such thing as the macrobiotic diet, where people only eat produce that comes form a 2(?) mile radius so that what they eat is more fresh, doesn't sound quite as strict as that fruity one though.

samuelle
09-21-2004, 12:24 AM
"Fruitarier"/Fruitarians only eat fruits, nuts and seeds. Fruitarians think, that it is wrong to kill a plant, if you disroot it or rip down its leaves. Allegedly they only eat fruits that are fallen down (and NOT ripped down!!).

i read about something like this once - a few very strict sects of gothic monks used to adhere to these kind of rules. they could only eat plants that were wilted and fruit that had fallen from the trees. i had no idea that people still practiced!

personally, i eat like a vegetarian, but it's not any sort of moral reasoning or firm belief. i just really don't care for meat, any meat. if that's all that there is, though, i can make myself eat it. i think if i put in the time to find substitutes and tasty recipes, i could make the official transition, but i tend not to be that conscious about all of my eating habits. i wish i had the gumption and the discipline, though, and i applaud those that do.smileys/smiley32.gif

thewaitingone
09-21-2004, 12:53 AM
fishy-tariansmileys/smiley17.gif

god, when I first typed it it came out fish*tarian....didn't know what I was doing was a dirty word!smileys/smiley9.gifEdited by: thewaitingone

Cali
09-21-2004, 01:12 AM
i've been a vegetarian for almost 10 years now. it wasn't hard at all, i don't think i've ever liked the taste of the meat, i even think i'd been a vegetarian for quite some time before i realize i was one. i've never had any cravings of meat, but sometimes i do have cravings for fish or seafood, but then it comes to me that i'm gonna be chewing a dead animal smileys/smiley11.gif, and the cravings go away smileys/smiley36.gif

a few months ago, i decided to go all the way and became a vegan, but that was too hard because the idea of a world without cheese-dripping pizzas is something i can't even imagine.Edited by: Cali

raeisuppose
09-21-2004, 02:40 AM
I was a vegetarian for a while, but it wasn't because I think it's cruel to eat animals. I understand that we're supposed to, we're omnivorous. But I just don't like the idea of eating them. Seeing the actual muscle fibers, the veins that blood was once pumping through...eww I just think it's gross.

OSully
09-21-2004, 02:43 AM
I went veg almost three years ago--I was never crazy about it anyway, could never bring myself to eat stuff 'on the bone' like chicken wings, or ribs. I decided, for me, it was time to stop living in denial about where meat comes from or the suffering that many animals endure. In the early stages, I read a lot about it, and knowing what I know now about what really happens when they raise and kill the animals (at least in many places here in the U.S.), how bad it is for the environment, and how decidedly unhealthy meat can be because of the hormones and steroids, I can honestly say I don't foreseeeating it again. I never say never, but right now, I'm cool with where I am with it. It's become a part of my life, and I don't think about it too much anymore.

That said, it's also not my style to bash anyone for eating meat. At first, I was very self-righteous and looked down my nose at people around me that were eating it--then I got really tired of justifying and defending my choice to NOT eat it, and decided that all I can do is be respectful of other people's choices, because that's all I want from themsmileys/smiley1.gif!

I just tried Quorn for the first time a couple of weeks ago--I don't know if you guys have it across the pond, but there's a really good brand called Moringstar Farms I highly recommend! I practically live off it, and even my friends who are carnivores really like their stuff!

rudy
09-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Hendrik, yeah I´ve tried horse meat. It´s great. In fact, it is often served at restaurants when you´ve ordered beef. I love meat. All kinds of it.

Personally I think vegetarians have to be stopped - they´re eating our animal´s food!

Uno- X
09-21-2004, 06:42 AM
mmm I love meat.. nuffink better than chicken....yummy....

Wheels
09-21-2004, 09:24 AM
I understand that we're supposed to, we're omnivorous.

Says who?

I love when people say we're meant to eat meant because we have canine teeth... Have you ever seen a Gorilla's teeth? They look like Lion's teeth... but gorilla's are vegitarian...

Hendrik
09-21-2004, 07:04 PM
That's not fair, the gorillas can't defend themselves! smileys/smiley36.gif

Wheels
09-21-2004, 11:52 PM
smileys/smiley5.gif

SisterMidnight
09-22-2004, 03:23 AM
I'm a carnivore. Tried going lacto-vegetarian once for a summer but a cheeseburger finally did me in. We're all about meat and potatoes here in the midwest, and Iowa cornfed beef is the most delicious in the world! Cheeseburgers, beef enchiladas, pot roast and potatoes, country fried chicken, pork chops, pepperoni pizza, a sizzling steak on the grill... I mean! Yum!! smileys/smiley4.gif

Lemonhead
09-22-2004, 03:08 PM
smileys/smiley3.gifwe're havingan eskimo meet-up in Iowa guys!!!smileys/smiley20.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. chicken!smileys/smiley4.gif

but seriously, i do admire vegetarious, one of my friends is one. i wouldn't feel so strongly on the subject as to become one tho... plus me and melissa need our cheeseburgers!

Hendrik
09-22-2004, 04:25 PM
smileys/smiley3.gif*we're having*an eskimo meet-up in Iowa guys!!!smileys/smiley20.gif*mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. chicken!smileys/smiley4.gif

Yay! *books flight* smileys/smiley20.gif

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Personally I think vegetarians have to be stopped - they´re eating our animal´s food!

Great. smileys/smiley36.gif

mmm I love meat.. nuffink better than chicken....yummy....

God, I just had one some minutes ago. Mmmmmhhh smileys/smiley1.gif

But latvian chicks are even better. smileys/smiley36.gif smileys/smiley2.gif

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:15 PM
chicken....feel like having one right now

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Where are ye? Uni?

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:22 PM
yes. smileys/smiley19.gif

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:30 PM
I used to be a vegetarian. I'm not anymore but the only meat I really eat is chicken breast or lean minced beef or minced turkey. I've just never liked most other meat - especially if it's got a chewy/muscley texture (like steak) or if it has bones in it (drumsticks). My mum says I've always been that way, even as a very young child.

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
smileys/smiley3.gifwe're havingan eskimo meet-up in Iowa guys!!!

don't you mean eskimo meat-up ?smileys/smiley36.gif

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
What's "Fleisch" and "Hühnchen" in dutch or latvian? smileys/smiley4.gif Edited by: Hendrik

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
what does Hühnchen mean?

the Dutch word for meat is "vlees"

dramaking
11-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm a vegetarian since 8 years. the last three years i lived vegan. but i have to stop this because my body couldn't handle this. for me it was one of the hardest decisions to change that. smileys/smiley19.gif

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:38 PM
i don't think i could be a vegan cos i like cheese too much.

dramaking
11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
it's not a question of personally taste! smileys/smiley2.gif

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
what does Hühnchen mean?

Chicken. (Hühnchen or Huhn)

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:41 PM
ah, chicken = kip

(but hoen is another word for chicken/poultry)

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Is it right that some people stop to drink milk because they've been told that it is too bad for their bodies. Read that a while ago in another board.

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:42 PM
it's not a question of personally taste! smileys/smiley2.gif

i think in my case it would be. smileys/smiley36.gif

Mojo_Pin1980
11-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Is it right that some people stop to drink milk because they've been told that it is too bad for their bodies. Read that a while ago in another board.

You shouldn't believe everything you readsmileys/smiley2.gif

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:44 PM

yeah there are people who are lactose intolerant. and there are people who believe that humans shouldn't consume cow's milk at all.Edited by: sezmo

dramaking
11-04-2004, 02:48 PM

yeah there are people who are lactose intolerant. and there are people who believe that humans shouldn't consume cow's milk anyway.

I think soy milk is better! i really hate the way animals are treated only to get more milk! to industialize animal is really aweful!

Hendrik
11-04-2004, 02:50 PM

You shouldn't believe everything you readsmileys/smiley2.gif

I wasn't sure, that's why I asked here, Kaas stückje. smileys/smiley2.gif

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:52 PM
oh what's that henny? that kaas bit?

Mojo_Pin1980
11-04-2004, 02:53 PM
I wasn't sure, that's why I asked here, Kaas stückje. smileys/smiley2.gif

Alrighty then, Sauerkrautkopf!smileys/smiley17.gif

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
is kaastuckje a cheese bit?

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:57 PM
"een stukje kaas" is a piece of cheese

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:58 PM
ha ha knew it.

sezmo
11-04-2004, 02:58 PM
^ clever girl

Uno- X
11-04-2004, 02:59 PM
why thank you

The Pink Girly
11-04-2004, 08:28 PM
can i just say...why do people fell bad when they eat meat?!!? i dont feel bad at all. i mean if we were aniamls in the wild we'd eat meat, polar bears eat seals! meat is great! there's nothing wrong with veggies though, i respect your decision and everything just a bit confused with the feeling bad!

i dont like it when meat is wasted though, thats just harsh. smileys/smiley19.gif

dramaking
11-05-2004, 07:03 AM
can i just say...why do people fell bad when they eat meat?!!? i dont feel bad at all. i mean if we were aniamls in the wild we'd eat meat, polar bears eat seals! meat is great! there's nothing wrong with veggies though, i respect your decision and everything just a bit confused with the feeling bad!

i dont like it when meat is wasted though, thats just harsh. smileys/smiley19.gif

animals need to eat meat. they have no choice. but we have got the choice. we can survive without this painful murder. if we were living in the wild and we have no other chance to survive it would be okay to eat meat (at least for me) but we are so called civilized...

another difference is that animals kill only when they are hungry, but we kill for our own pleasure.

it's a perfection of murder, comparable with what the nazis did!

would you eat meat if YOU have to kill that animal?

Libby
11-05-2004, 10:37 AM
The Pink Girly, in anwer to your question about why 'people feel bad when they eat meat'

------------------------------------------------------------ ------
<H4>Animal Welfare</H4>
<UL>
<LI>Animals are able to feel pain just as we can!
<LI>About 7 billion farm animals die or are slaughtered each year in the U.S. for the production of flesh food.
<LI>There are virtually no laws against cruelty to animals raised for food in the U.S. The Animal Welfare Act, which governs the humane treatment of animals, excludes animals intended for food consumption.
<LI>Up to five hens are crowded into a cage with floor space hardly larger than a record-cover, for their entire life-time.
<LI>Many factory-farmed animals never see a blade of grass in their lifetime.
<LI>In the egg industry, male chicks are considered useless so are often thrown into a grinding machine- ALIVE!
<LI>Animals raised for food production are nearly always deprived of natural sexual, social, hygienic, and parental behaviors.
<LI>Reason for veal's light color and tender texture: Veal calves are force-fed an iron-deficient, anemia-producing diet devoid of solid foods.
<LI>Bulls raised for meat-production are routinely castrated without any type of anesthesia or pain-killers.
<LI>Many animals are transported to slaughter without food and water for a long time! Millions die on the way to slaughter.
<LI>The slaughtering process is inhumane. When the animals are stunned before they are slaughtered, it is not always reliable and the animals are in pain as they move towards their death. </LI>
<LI> ------------------------------------------------------------ -</LI>[/list]

I grew up on a farm and became a vegetarian at a very young age. I know that I will always be vegetarian and could not even begin to contemplate eating meat.

I'm not going to preach to anyone but those are some ofMY reasons for being vego.

Hannah650
11-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Awh dammit now i feel guilty for eating meat.smileys/smiley19.gif

Your post has made me think though Libby.

lonelilly_lil
11-06-2004, 12:31 PM
im a veggie cuz i dont like the taste of meat. but after reading libby's message.....im extremely proud to be a viggie. i hate the thought of all those animals suffering so much.

The Pink Girly
11-06-2004, 06:01 PM
point taken libby...and dramaking. i cant say you've turned me veggie cause i love it too much but i understand now so thank you.smileys/smiley32.gif

i wish there was another way to eat meat minus all the disgusting treatment of them. smileys/smiley19.gif

my reason for not being veggie remains to be that i dont have a diet that would balance out the lack of meat and i love it so much. i console myself by thinking that at least im not wasting it cause it gives me so much pleasure to eat.

Hendrik
11-07-2004, 09:48 AM
i wish there was another way to eat meat minus all the disgusting treatment of them. smileys/smiley19.gif

my reason for not being veggie remains to be that i dont have a diet that would balance out the lack of meat and i love it so much. i console myself by thinking that at least im not wasting it cause it gives me so much pleasure to eat.

Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking.