PDA

View Full Version : I met Damo just over a week ago!

AdamDuritz
09-20-2004, 10:29 PM
I didn't get a chance to post about it until now because of one thing or another, but here we go....

I was in Dublin for the Paddy Casey shows. I was going to all of the shows and I'd told Paddy about it so he let me hang out with him and the band backstage and watch soundcheck, etc, which was really cool.

Me, Paddy & band went out for something to eat before the show and then I went down to get my front row for the spot and after the show I was waiting outside for Paddy before heading over to Whelans when I saw this guy walking down the street that I thought I new...

I said "Damien?" and sure enough Damo turned around and came over, shook my hand and said "Hi" and he stood talking to me for a while. He remembered me from when I met him in Belfast which was cool. I didn't ask him for a picture or autograph because A) I've already got it and B) I didn't want to draw any attention to him because he was just wanting to go unoticed with his friends. He was just down to check out Paddy, too!

He said he was taking some time off and wouldn't be back in Belfast or doing a bit of tour here "not for some time". I didn't realise that Damien was probably backstage when I was there too. It was a nice surprise to see him.... He's such a nice guy -- very shy about his fame and doesn't feel comfortable with complements on his work!

After we finished talking he continued his journy walking down past the stage door of the olympia and disapeared around the corner!

Paddy was telling me the next day that Shane was there too but he stepped outside for a smoke/use the phone and security wouldn't let him back in. Apparantly he was a bit pissed off about it.

Jgrg1984
09-20-2004, 10:45 PM
thats great...i eagerly anticipating the time when i can post my meeting damo story...no such luck yet..hes not in the us that often and im not over there often..smileys/smiley19.gif

mestonf
09-21-2004, 05:51 PM
thats great...i eagerly anticipating the time when i can post my meeting damo story...no such luck yet..hes not in the us that often and im not over there often..smileys/smiley19.gif

yep i have to say i'm in that situation too!

PhoenixDeviance
09-21-2004, 08:15 PM
wow, I am very jealous of you! I wish I could go to a Damo concert but I'm here in the US so that definately cancels my chances of meeting him. It would be cool to meet my idol though, after all Damien inspired me to start playing guitar.

Donsie B!
09-23-2004, 07:24 PM
lucky..u go 2 all 6 showz?

AdamDuritz
09-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I went to 5 shows... I was on the guest list for the others but Dublin is an expensive place so I had to come back home to Belfast!

I've heard people say that they had bad experiences meeting Paddy and stuff but he was really cool and down to earth! He was good enough to let me hang out with him and the band and have access backstage everywhere.... I respected that and just kept out of peoples way and watched all that was going on....

Diarmo
09-25-2004, 05:38 PM
*mumbles* lucky sucker!

Hendrik
09-26-2004, 06:16 PM
*mumbles too* f.ucky lecker!Edited by: Hendrik

mestonf
09-26-2004, 06:20 PM
smileys/smiley7.gif

megomoo
09-26-2004, 07:33 PM
to bring up an old topic, did he stink??smileys/smiley36.gif

Tomathy
09-26-2004, 07:36 PM
to bring up an old topic, did he stink??smileys/smiley36.gif

Damo had BO smileys/smiley36.gif

Hannah650
09-26-2004, 09:13 PM
smileys/smiley22.gif

Illusions
09-27-2004, 07:31 PM
i met damien when he was on a US tour outside of the paradise club in Boston. He was riding a little bike around.

Cali
09-28-2004, 02:42 AM
i've talked to him too smileys/smiley4.gif

rileyf
09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
i beat myself to this day; i had the perfect opportunity to meet him, he
was watching a concert form a soundbooth about 10 feet in fornt of me,
and i was the only one that really noticed him. i watched him walk off.
this makes me feel terrible on a daily basis.

Hannah650
10-01-2004, 04:15 PM
prolly better not to bother him when he's at a concert though riley, so i'd say twas better

Hannah650
10-01-2004, 04:16 PM
^meant a concert where he's in the audience like the rest of us, not his own gigsmileys/smiley9.gif

rileyf
10-02-2004, 02:57 AM
ha, thanks hannah, that makes me feel a little better! i still hope for
another chance to meet the guy tho, that would just be unreal

Trixalia
10-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Oh, wow! I would love to be able to meet Damien someday. Never has anyone's music had such an emotional impact on my life.

I saw his New York show back in May and agree with some of the others, he should come to the US more often. :(

#Ian#
10-04-2004, 06:11 PM
You had him for the best part of a year.

MarkRooney
10-04-2004, 06:20 PM
yea its about time he started tourin in the uk again

#Ian#
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Well a few gigs at home would be nice first. Then you can have him.

fmmc
10-04-2004, 08:14 PM
yah,i met him too,he's really nice about people coming up to him.i thnk he was a little embarassed or something though

s_mcgui
10-06-2004, 12:55 PM
awwww nooooooo, I was there that night I think cos I met Paddy Casey in Whelans after the gig, no one said Damien Rice was around!!!!smileys/smiley19.gif

AdamDuritz
10-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I couldn't believe bumping into him. There where hundreds of people walking around and it was so lucky that I spotted him and out of chance called "Damien?" and he turned around and sure enough it was Mr Rice.

The first time I met him I was able to prepare myself a bit but this time it was just right there on the stop -- f**king amazing!

Paddy's a great guy too... I heard some say he was a dick but I found him to be cool!

I have a lucky way of meeting bands, etc, probably because I get in line so early.... I hung out with Glen Hansard last week in Belfast! Now THERE is a sound down to earth guy....