PDA

View Full Version : Aung San Suu Kyi Tribute Album

administrator
09-21-2004, 11:54 AM
U2, Avril, Coldplay, Pearl Jam Do It For The Lady

U2, Avril Lavigne, R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are among the artists donating tracks to a benefit album for Aung San Suu Kyi, an imprisoned Burmese humanitarian known to some as "Asia's Nelson Mandela."

For the Lady: Dedicated to Freeing Aung San Suu Kyi and the Courageous People of Burma, due October 26, features previously released tunes by Lavigne, Coldplay, Bright Eyes and Travis, while Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Damien Rice and Better Than Ezra contribute live cuts unavailable anywhere else. Also exclusive to the album is "Let Freedom Ring," a studio track by Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello's solo incarnation, the Nightwatchman.

U2 dedicated their contribution, "Walk On," to Aung San Suu Kyi on All That You Can't Leave Behind, the album on which it first appeared. The double album's final track, "Tempest of Blood," was written by a jailed student activist for democracy in Burma (which is also known as Myanmar).

Aung San Suu Kyi is the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient. For her efforts to promote democracy and human rights in Burma, she has garnered the support of President Bill Clinton, Senator John McCain, former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Desmond Tutu, among others. For the past 14 years, she has been under house arrest by Burma's repressive junta.

Proceeds from the sale of the album will benefit the nonprofit organization U.S. Campaign for Burma.

For the Lady track list, according to the album's publicist:

Disc 1:

U2 - "Walk On"
Pearl Jam "Betterman" (live)
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Ani DiFranco - "In the Way"
Bright Eyes - "No Lies, Just Love"
R.E.M. - "Drive" (live)
Avril Lavigne - "Complicated"
Talib Kweli featuring John Legend - "Around My Way"
Lili Haydn - "Unfolding Grace"
Peter Gabriel - "Here Comes the Flood"
Natalie Merchant - "Motherland"
Maná - "Cuando Los Angeles Lloran"
Rebecca Fanya - "Paper Airplanes"
Ben Harper - "Oppression" (live)

Disc 2:

Paul McCartney - "Freedom" (live)
The Nightwatchman - "Let Freedom Ring"
Eric Clapton - "Wonderful Tonight"
Sting - "Fragilidad"
Bonnie Raitt - "Angel From Montgomery" (live)
Damien Rice - "Lonely Soldier" (live)
Travis - "The Cage"
Guster - "Keep It Together"
Hour Cast - "Memories and Lies"
Indigo Girls - "Perfect World" (live)
Better Than Ezra - "Get You In" (live)
Matchbox Twenty - "So Sad, So Lonely"
Mun Awng - "Tempest of Blood"

looly
09-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Good Stuff, great musicians, excellent cause. smileys/smiley32.gif

sarahukuk
09-21-2004, 12:01 PM
yeah i agree smileys/smiley32.gif

rileyf
09-21-2004, 12:43 PM
wow! thats the best benefit album ive ever seen!

Louise
09-21-2004, 01:05 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! some of you will know my passion for this cause, Im so so so excited and proud of damo for this. If he reads this thread or it gets back to him I hope he knows how happy this has made at least one of his fans, as well as the obvious benefit to the people of Burma. smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif

chris p
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
This Albulm looks great.. good to see so many great bands. Surprising to see Better thean Ezra still going, their lastest stuff was a little over the top comercial i thought..

looly
09-21-2004, 03:05 PM
oooh I hope the next time Ani Difranco comes over here she does a gig with Damo. They seem to be united on this front lately so maybe they've developed enough of an interest in each others music to collaborate................ooh, I'm getting so excited thinking of it!! I love Ani and Damo!!

chris p
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
yeah that would be amazing.. ani and damo together, although so hard to top lisa and damo though..smileys/smiley17.gifthey are such a great musical match!!

looly
09-21-2004, 03:54 PM
well, ok, Lisa can join in too!

mestonf
09-21-2004, 05:43 PM
do you know when its realeased or does it actually say and i'm just being lazy?

eims
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Coldplay,Damien Rice, REM, Travis< matchbox 20, wow !!!!

oooh anyone heard of Natalie Merchant before? - her song Motherland is very appropriate in this caseice- i stole- sorry borrowed her album from my dad and have listened to it over and over and over and over......smileys/smiley9.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

sarahukuk
09-21-2004, 07:27 PM
U2, Avril, Coldplay, Pearl Jam Do It For The Lady

U2, Avril Lavigne, R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are among the artists donating tracks to a benefit album for Aung San Suu Kyi, an imprisoned Burmese humanitarian known to some as "Asia's Nelson Mandela."

For the Lady: Dedicated to Freeing Aung San Suu Kyi and the Courageous People of Burma, due October 26, features previously released tunes by Lavigne, Coldplay, Bright Eyes and Travis, while Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Damien Rice and Better Than Ezra contribute live cuts unavailable anywhere else. Also exclusive to the album is "Let Freedom Ring," a studio track by Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello's solo incarnation, the Nightwatchman.

U2 dedicated their contribution, "Walk On," to Aung San Suu Kyi on All That You Can't Leave Behind, the album on which it first appeared. The double album's final track, "Tempest of Blood," was written by a jailed student activist for democracy in Burma (which is also known as Myanmar).

Aung San Suu Kyi is the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient. For her efforts to promote democracy and human rights in Burma, she has garnered the support of President Bill Clinton, Senator John McCain, former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Desmond Tutu, among others. For the past 14 years, she has been under house arrest by Burma's repressive junta.

Proceeds from the sale of the album will benefit the nonprofit organization U.S. Campaign for Burma.

For the Lady track list, according to the album's publicist:

Disc 1:

U2 - "Walk On"
Pearl Jam "Betterman" (live)
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Ani DiFranco - "In the Way"
Bright Eyes - "No Lies, Just Love"
R.E.M. - "Drive" (live)
Avril Lavigne - "Complicated"
Talib Kweli featuring John Legend - "Around My Way"
Lili Haydn - "Unfolding Grace"
Peter Gabriel - "Here Comes the Flood"
Natalie Merchant - "Motherland"
Maná - "Cuando Los Angeles Lloran"
Rebecca Fanya - "Paper Airplanes"
Ben Harper - "Oppression" (live)

Disc 2:

Paul McCartney - "Freedom" (live)
The Nightwatchman - "Let Freedom Ring"
Eric Clapton - "Wonderful Tonight"
Sting - "Fragilidad"
Bonnie Raitt - "Angel From Montgomery" (live)
Damien Rice - "Lonely Soldier" (live)
Travis - "The Cage"
Guster - "Keep It Together"
Hour Cast - "Memories and Lies"
Indigo Girls - "Perfect World" (live)
Better Than Ezra - "Get You In" (live)
Matchbox Twenty - "So Sad, So Lonely"
Mun Awng - "Tempest of Blood"

i highlighted it for u smileys/smiley36.giflazy boysmileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

cille
09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
ok, i might wanna get that album smileys/smiley4.gif

idiosynful
09-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Count me in. This is amazing!

Juzzza
09-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Brilliant!

Ben Harper & Damo Live on one CD!!!

I'll be buying that then smileys/smiley17.gif

Colbarr
09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
im looking forward to that coming out. i'm definetly gonna buy it.

Lemonhead
10-15-2004, 02:46 PM
read this:

o ‘For the lady’ in Burma says Burma junta

The border guards of Burma military junta, State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) have been ordered by its military intelligence to carry out thorough searches on people coming into Burma through many border checkpoints because it is afraid that they might be smuggling musical tapes of the world's leading pop stars that dedicate to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi into the country.

According to a Burmese border control official who doesn’t want to be identified, the junta specifically ordered the border guards to confiscate all the tapes named ‘For the Lady’ in honour of Burma’s democrhttp://english.dvb.no/e_news/3197-2ftl.gif acy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The album will feature 27 tracks and will be released on 26 October.

U2’s lead singer Bono and many other world famous singers including Eric Clapton produced a series of songs to honour the Nobel laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who was recently voted the on line Asia's Heroes 2004 by TIME magazine.

She is still under house arrest despite the fact that her party, National League for Democracy (NLD) won a landslide in the 1990 election as the military junta has been refusing to hand over power to her party.

DVB : 12 October 2004

that's just awful.smileys/smiley5.gif

Michelle Joey
10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Oh my God lemonny how did you find this thread...I've been looking for it for the past ten minutes to post that news smileys/smiley36.gif