PDA

View Full Version : the superbrands report

sarahukuk
09-29-2004, 05:05 PM
The Guardian reports today that Damien has been listed as one of the five coolest musicians in the annual Superbrands report, produced by the Brand Council of the UK...Conor McNicholas, the editor of NME, was apparently unimpressed - "I'm quite horrified, to be honest. It sounds like a terrifyingly uncool list, bar the Streets." Usher and Joss Stone were also among those listed.

Uncool!! My arsesmileys/smiley36.gif

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 05:14 PM
if hes talking about damo, then F*ck him. there i said it

sarahukuk
09-29-2004, 05:16 PM
smileys/smiley36.gifgood on ya smileys/smiley36.gif

Louise
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
don't hate me but I see where he's coming from. But I don't listen to Damien because he's "cool". I listen because I like it. Plus, truly cool people don't care whats "cool" and what isnt. smileys/smiley1.gif

Daniel
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
its uncool to say you're cool.

Louise
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah if you're really cool, then thinking about "cool" isn't something you ever do. smileys/smiley1.gif

mestonf
09-29-2004, 05:28 PM
yep me too! i have been reading NME for a long time now and over the recent months i have seen a downfall in its reviews of things, it seems to me to be turning out into Kerrang where if its not hip cool and heavy enough it won't be accepted. Also the fact in the run to this summers Festivals they had pages on what drugs to take and what are the best for a festival. A wide read music magazine encouraging drugs kinda annoys me. Everyone to their own if they do it but not in a magazine for music. But if Conor McNicholas was horrified by Damo then he hasn't really seen in to the fact that Damo isn't one of those artists trying to be cool.GRR! smileys/smiley7.gif

Wheels
09-29-2004, 05:37 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif Damo is going to hate that news when he hears! smileys/smiley36.gifWhat odds on him shaving his head again in protest?smileys/smiley36.gif

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 05:39 PM
He said he takes his anger out on his hair, but i disagree, i think that damo could care less about what a magazine says or thinks of him.

Michelle Joey
09-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh please no no no Sends telepathic message to Damien *you are not cool you are not cool* smileys/smiley36.gif

Louise
09-29-2004, 05:43 PM
I quite like lil shaven damien.

Wheels
09-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually, maybe he wouldn't mind being listed as cool... he just doesn't want to get involved in all the marketing crap... if he did, he wouldn't be cool... so maybe this is his dream come true? smileys/smiley5.gif

Louise
09-29-2004, 05:45 PM
I doubt it, because being on a list like that automatically makes you UN-cool, so if he wants to be cool then this is definitely not a good thing. If he doesn't want to be cool I still think its bad news because all the wrong people will think he IS cool. smileys/smiley5.gif

Wheels
09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
So it's not cool to be cool? But being cool makes you un-cool... and that's un-cool too? smileys/smiley5.gif

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Whose to say what makes you cool or uncool. If youre mentioned on a list like that great. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter, no. Maybe for a brief moment it does, when you stop and say oo thats nice. But in all reality it should be about what he does rather than what people say. Thats a big problem with society in general, people put too much emphasis on what others say rather than formulating their own opinions on things. Getting on a list like that is nice, but after a short period, it doesnt matter. No one should take them that seriously by saying it makes you cool or uncool.

Wheels
09-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Don't worry mate, we're not smileys/smiley4.gif

Louise
09-29-2004, 05:56 PM
what I meant is, lists like that are NOT cool, therefore being on a list like that kind of makes you uncool. Being cool and not being on a list is cool. But as I said before really cool people dont even think about cool.

Get it?

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 06:02 PM
smileys/smiley36.gifyea i got a little angry there. Didnt mean to come across that way. its just some people place too much emphasis on what other people think and its a shame. If rolling stone says someone is "in" thats great, but what it is, is just someone elses opinion. Thats fine, but when it becomes a problem is when they push their opinion onto other people, or form opinion without any justification: "I'm quite horrified, to be honest. It sounds like a terrifyingly uncool list, bar the Streets". Thats not fair to say. Thats uninformed and arbitrary. Here i go again ranting. I apoligize.

sarahukuk
09-29-2004, 06:05 PM
i get it but its nice that he is on the list, if that was me i'd be well chuffed as it would make me think people like me/ my music cool or uncool everyone has there own opinion and tastes, like usher i don't like his music but there is a hell of a lot of people that think he brilliant and cool

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
yea. for a brief moment, i would be like thats nice, but it really wouldnt matter. I think it was damo or another band...they played a show and their were celebs in the audience. yea it was damo actually, when britney and colin farrell i think, were in the audience. They asked him what he thought about it and he said, for a moment they were all like, thats cool, but after that it really didnt matter anymore.

Its nice to get recognition, its human nature to enjoy it, but it should never become a focus.

sarahukuk
09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
im sure damien wont get big headed about it, u know like going on stage and saying i was in the top 5 coolest in the annual Superbrands report i dont think he'd be like that i mite be wrong

Jgrg1984
09-29-2004, 06:17 PM
i agree. im sure he wont be, this isnt the biggest regonition he has recievedby any means. Hes gotten much bigger publicity than this.

Lemonhead
09-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Actually, maybe he wouldn't mind being listed as cool... he just doesn't want to get involved in all the marketing crap... if he did, he wouldn't be cool... so maybe this is his dream come true? smileys/smiley5.gif

smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gifyup, he's sold over 1 million copies of his debut album, every gig he plays sells out, has the coolest fans and band, he recorded with christy moore.. but at last!!! he has now been called uncool by nme!smileys/smiley4.giflet's all rejoice!

Wheels
09-29-2004, 09:34 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif

#Ian#
09-29-2004, 10:36 PM
He obviously doesn't have the right type of styled messy scraggly hair for the NME.

Switch to Q Felix.

mestonf
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
yeah Q seems to be the better option thats what i have been reading for some time

jayavo
09-30-2004, 06:02 PM
yea it was damo actually, when britney and colin farrell i think, were in the audience. They asked him what he thought about it and he said, for a moment they were all like, thats cool, but after that it really didnt matter anymore.

also said she talks too much. apparently yapped through his whole gig.

jason

'blah, blah blah, like for sure blah'- what constitutes intelligent conversation form brittney spears

Jgrg1984
10-01-2004, 12:05 AM
im not surprised at all. also i would like to take this opportunity to comment on fan behavior at concerts in general. i was shocked and disapointed at listening to the show i went to and other shows. i dont understand it.