PDA

View Full Version : CD Banned in Burma!!!

ali*
10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
found this on the official site....

No ‘For the lady’ in Burma says Burma junta

The border guards of Burma military junta, State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) have been ordered by its military intelligence to carry out thorough searches on people coming into Burma through many border checkpoints because it is afraid that they might be smuggling musical tapes of the world's leading pop stars that dedicate to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi into the country.

According to a Burmese border control official who doesn’t want to be identified, the junta specifically ordered the border guards to confiscate all the tapes named ‘For the Lady’ in honour of Burma’s democrhttp://english.dvb.no/e_news/3197-2ftl.gif acy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The album will feature 27 tracks and will be released on 26 October.

U2’s lead singer Bono and many other world famous singers including Eric Clapton produced a series of songs to honour the Nobel laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who was recently voted the on line Asia's Heroes 2004 by TIME magazine.

She is still under house arrest despite the fact that her party, National League for Democracy (NLD) won a landslide in the 1990 election as the military junta has been refusing to hand over power to her party.

DVB : 12 October 2004

shockingsmileys/smiley7.gif

mari
10-15-2004, 06:58 PM
That is so depressing.smileys/smiley19.gif. Fills me with despair when I read about the repression of people in 21st Century.

Hannah650
10-15-2004, 07:00 PM
My God that's so hateful!! smileys/smiley7.gifsmileys/smiley7.gif

Wheels
10-15-2004, 07:50 PM
It's not that surprising, is it?

cille
10-16-2004, 10:12 AM
nah, sadly it's not surprising. opressors do that sort of thingsmileys/smiley7.gif

I see Aung San Suu Kyi was chosen as the asian hero 2004 in that TIME MAG thing that was mentioned here a while ago. smileys/smiley4.gif

Donsie B!
10-16-2004, 02:12 PM
booo!

mestonf
10-16-2004, 05:29 PM
thats feckin ridiculous smileys/smiley7.gif smileys/smiley7.gif

but its ok cause we can always depend on Bush to bomb Burma and sort it out! smileys/smiley36.gif smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley36.gif

indigoangel
10-16-2004, 07:59 PM
thats just crazy, opressing to the point of banning music - sounds like theyre reverting to the book burning era

cille
10-16-2004, 08:03 PM
but its ok cause we can always depend on Bush to bomb Burma and sort it out! smileys/smiley36.gif smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley36.gif

bush doesn't care. burma don't have oil.

mestonf
10-16-2004, 08:05 PM
ohh yeah i forgot about that cille!

cille
10-16-2004, 08:24 PM
smileys/smiley2.gif

mestonf
10-16-2004, 08:25 PM
smileys/smiley2.gif smileys/smiley2.gif

tomas
10-17-2004, 02:21 AM
hmm..it's really cool that all these celebrities do care at least a bit
about what's going on in Burma, but i am just wondering why is it
getting all the attention? I am not saying that Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi or the country don't deserve it, but look at the
situation in Sudan for example...it's probably much much worse and
nobody ever seems to even mention it....how about Cuba, anyone heard of
</font>Oswaldo Paya, people being sentenced to 20+ years in
prison, no celebrity mentions it...Belarus, it's part of Europe and
what's going on there is pretty bad too...polls closing there just
today and nobody really cares...smileys/smiley5.gif

...oh don't get me wrong, i am happy there is at least something being done, but it still seems a bit..well...

</span>

touchingfreedom
10-24-2004, 04:49 PM
I disagree. Sudan is all over the papers and on the tv, yet news about Burma only comes out every few months when Suu Kyi is prevented from leaving her home. It's like "f**k all the ethnic minorities who are being killed by the Burmese government, let's only mention Burma when Suu Kyi is put under house arrest". The press aren't interested in the plight of the Burmese people, only in Suu Kyi. I wish more people were interested in Burma as well as Tibet or Darfur or East Timor etc etc.

It's not shocking at all that the government banned the cd. It would be a huge breakthrough if it allowed the cd to be sold.