PDA

View Full Version : Damo selling out.

sadistic_bunny
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Aha! oh frabous day, let the bells ring out and all the cherubs, sentenials and seraphims sing out for I am back!

after a devesting computerless time, im finally back in the game. I believe my last post was about seeing Damien & frames at Beacon N.Y.C

Anyhoos, in ireland damo has released cannonball with this suped up beat in the back. I've had many a debate with friends as to whether or not he's sold out. My view is that we, who loved damo from the start and are bitter at sharing him with other people. And also, being irish we can't be happy for anyone else's success: "Oh sure she's built up her own company from the ground despite having no arms or legs, but did you know her mother used only put £2 into the collection plate be gad"

anyways id like to hear other people's opinion on this "selling out" lark. also i'v been out of the loop for so long (big bright lights of college now) tell me all the latest news.

please and thank you. phew.

ZachC
11-12-2004, 02:41 PM
ok i hate the term ... "selling out" ... because im pretty sure almost 80% of people would do something like that for a little bit more of money .... but i dont like the upbeat "cannonball" just my opinion no he didnt sell out !!!

Bumpman
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Well as a condition of the release of the cannonball remix Damien has gotten a contract saying that none of his songs will ever be remixed again, thus the dodgy remix is a means to an end, that Damien has asked his fans to simply ignore.

My view is that we, who loved damo from the start are bitter at sharing him with other people. And also, being irish we can't be happy for anyone else's success
You seem to implicate that since Damien released "O" here first, irish people have more of a right to listen to his music then people from other countries. That is really intelligent.

mestonf
11-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Damos music will never ever sell out on me!

jayavo
11-12-2004, 08:02 PM
this is the same guy thatcut his hair in protest over his record company setting up a photo op right?

the same guy that told his record company to stop advertising 'o' on t.v. right?

hmmmm....if he is he is not too good at it.

jason

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

Jgrg1984
11-13-2004, 05:10 AM
"musicians that write songs like damo, that perform like damo, that speak like damo arent "in it" for the money. thats not to say that he isnt interested in money, but its not his purpose. he has to write songs to deal with himself and his world, and thats why they come out the way they do."

.......i said that a few months back in another post when this topic was previously discussed. seemed pertinent to the convo.

ZachC
11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
i really agree with that .... you write songs because a song is a part of you you dont care about the money ... im sure if he just made enough to get by with a roof over his head some food and beer and smokes ... im sure hed be pleasently happy with that !!

Bumpman
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
i suppose the real question we should be asking ourselves is, does he give a flying f*ck what anyone (including his fans) think of of him and what he releases... i certainly hope he dosen't anyway.

the_lady
11-13-2004, 10:28 PM
art thou mocking mine intelligence? i did believe "selling out" was a term used only by"rock" kidswhoare scared of being different to their "outcast" friends so they all wear baggy jeans and say "dude"and complain about consumerism and capitalism and conglomerates while eating sh*tty pigs ears in Mcdonalds...i am not callingthee a kid i just don't like my hypocritical mates..don't like cannonball"happy" either, but ah well,what can u do?i know how ya feel about thec whole being irish and bitter thing, i do think "give me damo back!"but that's selfish, so good luck to him i luuuuuuuvvvv him.......

Bumpman
11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
'selling out' as i understand it, is swapping the integrity of a given art form, for money or fame.
sometimes it happens and sometimes it dosen't, a lot of bands/songwriters are pretty obsessed with what is released in their name, we'll never see a leonard cohen single, a radiohead greatest hits or pj harvey on top of the pops.

Damien seems to give into the demands of his management a lot though, dosen't he?

LILY
11-14-2004, 06:39 PM
What about this theory ?

"Slow music" instead of "slow food"

Sound like something Damien might be into, right ?
Sustainable songs...

Donsie B!
11-14-2004, 07:04 PM
*ponders*

Enoch
11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
The Cannonball remix is growing on me.

The b-sides, re-releases debate? I just don't buy them.

If it wasn't for TV advertising I wouldn't have heard of Damien when I did.

Do I think he's a sell out (whatever that is) - No

Music is big business and I doubt thathe has 100% control over media, advertising, releases etc.

PS I'm tired of threads like this.

Jgrg1984
11-15-2004, 04:37 PM
"PS I'm tired of threads like this."

..indeed

Geppy
11-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Funny, had this conversation in Lit the other day. I say, if you make
money and you're damn good at it. Good for you. "Selling Out" ...really
don't like that term, we've just made it such a big deal that artists want to
make money as well as good music...then again there are those that make
good money but can't play an instrument o sing if their lives depended
on it! woot!Edited by: Geppy

mr. boland
11-15-2004, 11:05 PM
the only time i will say "sell-out" is when a band/group/ or solo
artist, starts to fade away in popularity.. then does whatever their
record label does.. most notably, changing the sound of the music and
changing the song-writing.. this happened to Metallica in 1996.. where
their old sound was not the "in" thing.. even happened to Dave Matthews
BAnd(whom i am a fan of).. but once his "Everyday" Album came out. the
songwriting of DMB has been nothing the same since his first 3 major
releases..

.. anyway.. my point is.. i don't see damien, with his love for his
music and politics, changing anything that he doesn't want to do
himself. . if something will give him an extra few bucks and it's
something he agrees to..it's definitely not selling out.. if some
record label exec. guy tells him that his guitar looks old and ratty
and should try using a brand new Taylor or Martin Acoustic.. then there
will be problems..

indigoangel
11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
well damien has never really been about making money, i think thats very clear. im sure if he wanted to at this stage he could have be very wealthy considering the amount of interest there is in him, but he just continues working on his music rather than working towards making a wealthy career for himself. in interviews with him he stresses that its all about the music, nothing to do with awards or rewards. i really doubt that the cannonball remix was about "selling out", more like experimentation, trial and error - every artist does it.

Juzzza
11-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Selling out = success

Which is sad don't you think?

To me, an artist only sells out when they stop putting their hearts into their craft, if they ain't feeling it and are ONLY in the game for the money, then they have sold out.

I don't care how successful Damo gets, how many adverts he makes, how many movie soundtracks he is in, how many remixes of Cannonball he does (and the listing in the guiness book of records for the bloody things)... As long as damo is feeling it, I am feeling it.

Some people confuse success with selling out, I'm not sure what these people expect from their artists... Maybe damo should die for our sins, we could all whip him, stab him and then crucify him on a cross...

Only jokin, but you see my point right?

Jgrg1984
11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
To me, an artist only sells out when they stop putting their hearts into their craft, if they ain't feeling it and are ONLY in the game for the money, then they have sold out.

...thats what selling out should be though!!! who cares if you make some cash, you need to survive, who cares if you are more popular; if you are good its inevitable.

ZachC
11-17-2004, 04:32 PM
im in total agreeance with jg there ... you need to do things sometimes to get yourself in a good position... weve all done it ...

Jgrg1984
11-17-2004, 04:48 PM
theres nothing wrong with it. its a common goal in life. to be comfortable. and another note, people that sell out do not go to burhma for weeks. im done. this topic should be over.

Bumpman
11-17-2004, 05:00 PM
well then i should get to write the last post smileys/smiley36.gif

Jgrg1984
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
no

ali*
11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
smileys/smiley36.gif

(fuel to the fire...)

Jgrg1984
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
i could go for a long time....

ZachC
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
stop the madness

sadistic_bunny
11-19-2004, 05:13 PM
My view is that we, who loved damo from the start are bitter at sharing him with other people. And also, being irish we can't be happy for anyone else's success
You seem to implicate that since Damien released "O" here first, irish people have more of a right to listen to his music then people from other countries. That is really intelligent.[/QUOTE]

alright, i was merely being an impartial person, throwing out a discussion that I'd had with my friends, trying to get other perspectives. Of course I don't think that we, as Irish have a divine right to listen to him, that would be absurd, Its true, people DO get bitter that he's made it big, but I didn't say I condoned this, it was a mere observation.

bygones.

Jaguar
11-20-2004, 12:23 PM
don't you think it might be because damo just heard a remix of the song and thought it was cool, and then released it. on the b-sides album he tells people to listen to the original versions, so they know where the remix came from. He's just an eclectic care-bear really. shame on all of you, damo isn't selling out, and it's interesting to see that if he did, that you wouldn't like him anymore. what does it matter where music is in the world. if it's in top of the pops, so be it. it could still be a good song. but alot of people who figure themselves as having "good taste" in music don't accept this. they want an exclusive club and don't accept popular music because of the term popular. pop music as a term should be thrown out. call it youth music.

P.S.- I'm drunk.

mestonf
11-20-2004, 03:00 PM

P.S.- I'm drunk.

Its only lunchtime! smileys/smiley36.gif !

sadistic_bunny
11-21-2004, 07:33 PM
In fairness, wouldn't we all be drunk all the time if we had the chance? be honest. it would make the world a better place. Less fighting and more sing songs and talking to random people.

Hurrah drunkenness.!

Suede
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
AAAAHHHHHH! I'm so tired of this selling out stuff. Just because people change or decide they like a remix, it doesn't mean they've sold out. smileys/smiley7.gif

Jgrg1984
11-21-2004, 08:03 PM
the remix was never his choice and he doesnt like them...its a fact

Juzzza
11-22-2004, 10:37 AM
In fairness, wouldn't we all be drunk all the time if we had the chance? be honest. it would make the world a better place. Less fighting and more sing songs and talking to random people.

Hurrah drunkenness.!

I can't BELIEVE you are saying having more drunks around the place means less fights!!! Are you mad?

Booze is the reason why most fights happen!!!

jayavo
11-22-2004, 02:21 PM

Hurrah drunkenness.!

I can't BELIEVE you are saying having more drunks around the place means less fights!!! Are you mad?

smileys/smiley36.gif i couldnt believe i read it right.

now weed....ive never seen anyone who had only used weed get into a fight, never. last summer during one of the big european soccer matches (i forget as i dont follow soccer), it was between i think london and france though im not sure....anyway the police were advocating people smoke weed. they put flyers out, press conferences, the works. telling people they wouldnt harrass or confiscate. but they would be harsh on drunks. at the match there ended up to be one arrest, for urinating in public(guy was probably drunk). now in london there were many fights as the pubs emptied. there were also fights in nearby towns but pot wasnt allowed to openly smoked there. hmmm.....

jason

I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is f**king IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument.

ZachC
11-22-2004, 05:52 PM
this post has gone on for way to long now its turned in to a drunkin argument

Gatsby
11-23-2004, 12:45 AM
i dont believe its selling out as such... if he was selling out he would be on trl tomorrow promoting an album he didnt write just to try and be famous and make a name for himself... damiens never been about that

no i dont like the remix but i think damien deserves some of the leeway that this single gives him... its just appealing to all peoples tastes... i know some people that love the single but hate the album as they find it depressing. thats their taste not mine so i think fair dues to him for releasing it

as for releasing the b-sides... i personally regret buying it but i still think he should have released it as we take for granted that we got these songs on the internet... not caring that we were going against his wish of keeping them off the internet... and too right he should make money for the songs he wrote or the versions of songs he likes best

i think putting the term sell out and damien rice is a way of not being able to let go or being scared that he is becoming popular... so what if he does? you can still enjoy his music and it doesnt matter if ur granny thinks its hip... shes old let her have her momentsmileys/smiley4.gif

Juzzza
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Damo would rather set fire to his guitar and go back to Tuscany than sell out.

This is the guy who walked away from a signed band (Juniper) because he did not want to lose the control of his vision.

It ain't gonna happen, I stress again

SUCCESS DOES NOT EQUAL SELLING OUT

Only when an artist releases work without the passion, purely for financial gain, have they sold out.

jayavo
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
smileys/smiley32.gif

well said.

jason

'...you dont like my lifestyle, f**k you...'

sadistic_bunny
11-23-2004, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=sadistic_bunny]

Hurrah drunkenness.!

ok. in the name of catfish, i was being light hearted and jovial. people need to get senses of humors and stop being so damn pissy. knickers in a twist or wha?

Juzzza
11-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Uh... So was I dude... Being Jovial I mean.

I am probably the least pissy (great word by the way) person you could meet and my sense of humour is IMMENSE!!!

So let's all chill and check our knickers at the door... I have the same policy at parties smileys/smiley2.gif

sadistic_bunny
11-23-2004, 04:16 PM
"pissy" is my word of the week. along with lugubrious.

your right, some things were said in the heat of the moment, feelings got hurt, necks got trampled.

lets just all run around a meadow in flowy dresses(boy or girl)and sing joyous songs of yore.

LOOK A CATFISH!

(swift exit with my cape billowing behind me)

LILY
11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
O.k. the end of another "selling out thread"
Phew...

Suede
11-24-2004, 06:33 AM
"pissy" is my word of the week. along with lugubrious.

your right, some things were said in the heat of the moment, feelings got hurt, necks got trampled.

lets just all run around a meadow in flowy dresses(boy or girl)and sing joyous songs of yore.

LOOK A CATFISH!

(swift exit with my cape billowing behind me)

LMAO...That sounds fabulous! *throws on a dress and runs around with bunny*

soda
11-24-2004, 07:35 AM
this somehow this reminds of either the polyphonic spree memebersor the video from sigur ros with the mentallychallanged people running around like angels?hmmmmmmmsmileys/smiley4.gif