PDA

View Full Version : Milking "O"

maggieslover
11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
So, since nobody really knows when the next cd release date is, do you think that Damo and crew will hold out releasing it until a while after the movie "Closer" comes out? I bet they will hold off on releasing the new album for quite some time, bc the movie will probably introduce alot of new people to Damien's music. Afterall, there really was not alot of exposure for the debut cd here in the states. I imagine they want to sell as many copies of "O" as they can before putting out the new one.

It sucks, cause I want to hear some new tunes! When I talked to him after the Chicago show he said the next album will be alot heavier. I likes!

SisterMidnight
11-12-2004, 03:05 AM
You're right about there not being a lot of exposure for O in the US, if you found Damien it was by word of mouth or a happy accident, I think. But I don't get the logic of holding off on releasing a new CD because it would hurt sales for the debut. smileys/smiley5.gifI mean if you like the first aren't you likely going towant tobuy the next one too, regardless of when it's released?? (or vice versa) Maybe I'm just not clued into the "industry" but...

...yeah I wish he'd release the new CD too.

Wheels
11-12-2004, 09:06 AM
When the new album comes out is more dependant on when Damien feels it is ready... he doesn't really care about how many it sells... he's made quite a few pennies already. His only motivation is the music, when it's done it will be done and he'll release it...

To use a Damienesque simile: "Waiting for this album is like waiting for the first rains after a drought, you want it immediately, but you just gotta wait till it's ready to fall."

Failing Upwards
11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
You're right about there not being a lot of exposure for O in the US, if you found Damien it was by word of mouth or a happy accident, I think. But I don't get the logic of holding off on releasing a new CD because it would hurt sales for the debut. smileys/smiley5.gifI mean if you like the first aren't you likely going towant tobuy the next one too, regardless of when it's released?? (or vice versa) Maybe I'm just not clued into the "industry" but...

...yeah I wish he'd release the new CD too.

i heard about him on the carson daly show, saw him play volcano and blowers daughter, teared up a bit for the second of those songs, and bought the cd within a week

Bumpman
11-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I imagine they want to sell as many copies of "O" as they can before putting out the new one.

The band don't really need to make commercially intelligent decisions as regards release dates, they're already as rich as Jed Clampett. I'd put my money on February 1st of next year though, 3 year anniversary of "O".

that is, if it's ready...

Wheels
11-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Who's Jed Clampett? smileys/smiley5.gif

ZachC
11-12-2004, 02:34 PM
i heard about him from my friend in england so i had to order his cd ... cause of course noone in the states carried it yet...but in regards to the album coming out ... itll come out when it comes out ... i still have O to listen to !!!! smileys/smiley2.gif

Bumpman
11-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Yeah, you have to appreciate that "O" is an incredible piece of work to say the least, Damien above all people probably knows that (even though he'd never admit it). He's said that the only thing he wants from the next album is that it be better then the first one, and it will be... whether we see it in february of next year or a decade from now, being able to take his time on "O" is what made it so special, and hopefully that feeling will come across on the second album. I reckon it's going to be worth the wait.

and Jed Clampett is the guy from the Beverly Hillbillies.</font>

Donsie B!
11-12-2004, 05:47 PM
my older friend gave me the cd 4 a lend as i loved eskimo!

Failing Upwards
11-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Who's Jed Clampett? smileys/smiley5.gif

Jed Clampett was a Hillbilly who got really rich off of oil in an old TV show called The Beverly Hillbillies, but it probably didn't make it out of the states judging from that response.Edited by: Failing Upwards

Wheels
11-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Sure it did... I just didn't know his name smileys/smiley9.gif

Jgrg1984
11-13-2004, 05:14 AM
damo walks to the beat of his own drummer. the next album will be out when he wants it to be.it took him two years and tons of recording to complete O the way he liked it. the same is the case for this one.

people will say he is milking O, because it is his only release to date, and unlike many other artists who have successful releases, his could very well be deemed a classic. not to many artists have that to their name in their entire careers, let alone album number 1.

SisterMidnight
11-13-2004, 05:34 AM
I agree with all you just said, Josh. And it's got to be an unbelieveable experience for Damien! We forget sometimes this is his debut CD and he's still trying to navigate the waters of his success.If I were him I would want to take my time and take a step back to let things sink in before rushing into the next phase.

But it's occurred to me that it would be almost impossible not to be tainted by the fame and success at some level. I think Damien is a free spirit too, and tries to maintain his integrity and personal control over his work, but seriously how can someone who's being lauded as he is really be unaffected by it? He seems to tell himself his is... or tries very hard not to be... but in the end it has to have an impact, wouldn't you think? Fame is hard on people I think. And changes them in most cases.

smileys/smiley31.gif&lt;-- For Damien smileys/smiley9.gif

...and if you're ready to say why sympathy for the man who's making millions and on everbody's must see/hear list it's because he's just a person like everybody else and I'll bet where he's at is kind of scary and overwhelming at times. And even musical geniuses need a hug once in awhile!'Sides I didn't get one in Madison. http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif

Jgrg1984
11-13-2004, 05:46 AM
it is hard to deal with attention. and he has said that he is a normal human being, he has his happy days, his sad days, his mean days, etc. writing amazing songs does not make him more divine, in all reality, it probably makes him more human and more vulnerable that most.

also to expand/reiterate on the whole album thing: good songs are made, great songs make themselves.

Krystian
11-13-2004, 05:45 PM
To use a Damienesque simile: "Waiting for this album is like waiting for the first rains after a drought, you want it immediately, but you just gotta wait till it's ready to fall."

That is a most lovely quote! smileys/smiley4.gif