PDA

View Full Version : The Professor??

byjl
11-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Can anyone tell me what the French lyrics in The Professor actually mean??
It's been bugging me for ages!!smileys/smiley5.gif

I did French at school so if I ever need to know where the local piscine or boulangerie is I'd be fine but as far as these lyrics go I'm lost!!!smileys/smiley5.gifsmileys/smiley5.gif

Also is there a meaning to the song as far as Damo's concerned??

Thanks Dudes!!!!

Bumpman
11-25-2004, 03:22 PM
dude, i think there was a thread about this before dude, check the history dude. smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley2.gif

byjl
11-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Will do dude!!!smileys/smiley2.gif

QuebecFolk
11-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I do speak french and I can say that there are mistakes in what he says!

La fille danse
Quand elle joue avec moi
Et je pense que je l'aime des fois
Le silence, n'ose pas dis-donc
Quand on est ensemble
Mettre les mots
Sur la petite dodo

// The girl dances
When she's playing with me
And I think I love her sometimes
Silence hesitates
When we're together
To put the words
(And that's were the mistake is... what does that mean?)
On the little... sleep (or something like that) or
On the little Dodo (maybe it's her name...)

La fille danse
Quand elle joue avec moi et la pluie
Elle me manque
Pourquoi?
Non,non
C'est la chanson, la nuit, le vent
L'amour , le son
De la petite Dodo

The girl dances
When she plays with me under the rain
I miss her
Why?
No, No
It's the song, the night, the wind
The love, the sound
Of the little Dodo (if it's her name)

QcFlk

ZachC
11-26-2004, 03:53 PM
umm actually its a little more like this

The girl dances

When she plays with me

And I think that I like it sometimes

The silence, does not dare say therefore

When one is together

To Put the words

On the small sleep

ZachC
11-26-2004, 03:58 PM
well i forgot to look but you were close just a few mistakes

parfois je peux être une personne stupide, mais vous étiez assez près

Aime
11-26-2004, 06:52 PM
its been bugging me for ages and i translated it myself realised there was nothing "crude" in it (you know how damien can be sometimes) so i asked my french teacher (today actually)and most of what everyone's said was right but the bit about the sleep she said it would be more like a lullaby that someone would be singing so its something like "put the words to the little lullaby"

that conversation resulted in a big convo about damien she asked if he's really as good as everyone makes out and i said he wasnt... he's better! and she said she was gonna buy his album... i like my french teacher... she has cool clothes and some sense of good music!

QuebecFolk
11-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Truth is, I do speak french, this is my first language, and I can say that "sur la petite dodo" bugs me cause it means nothing in french, there's a huge mistake in the sentence that makes me doubt of what means "dodo". Maybe it could be a lullaby and Damien didn't know that lullaby is "berceuse" in french :) cause dodo means more sleep, but if he wanted to say sleep, there's an error cause the sentence is female and it should be male cause dodo is male... French is so complicated smileys/smiley5.gif

ZachC, the mistakes were because I didn't know how to tell it in english, not because I didn't know what it meant in french smileys/smiley2.gifso I replaced it by "hesitate"... means almost the same thing I think.

QcFlk

Lemonhead
11-27-2004, 12:44 AM
dude, i think there was a thread about this before dude, check the history dude. smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley2.gif

you're a jackass bumpy.smileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

thanks for the lyrics, dudes!smileys/smiley2.gifit's a very pretty song, the lyrics are so amazing!

Aime
11-27-2004, 08:20 PM
French is so complicated smileys/smiley5.gif

hence why i'll fail my leaving cert in french! *sigh* bloody passe compose... i understand it, i completely get it no amount of confusion but when it comes to using it i always get it wrong! grr! smileys/smiley7.gif

ZachC
11-28-2004, 06:01 PM
i hated learning french it is by far the most complicated language!!! gggrrrr

Aime
11-28-2004, 06:09 PM
although english is supposed to be the hardest thing in the world if its not your first language.. which in fairness i can understand!! but GRRR french!!!

irish is the best language ever!! (not that i'm bias or anything...)

Donsie B!
11-30-2004, 08:47 PM
tá gaeilge go hiontach!!

soda
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
hey, anybody thought about the extinct bird called dodo? sound of the small dodo. (Nobody knows what he sounded like though)

Donsie B!
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
*strokes beard*

Patricia
11-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Truth is, I do speak french, this is my first language, and I can say that "sur la petite dodo" bugs me cause it means nothing in french, there's a huge mistake in the sentence that makes me doubt of what means "dodo". Maybe it could be a lullaby and Damien didn't know that lullaby is "berceuse" in french :) cause dodo means more sleep, but if he wanted to say sleep, there's an error cause the sentence is female and it should be male cause dodo is male... French is so complicated smileys/smiley5.gif

I agree, Damien's French is not perfect, at times it doesn't make sense. La petite Dodo... Doesn't mean anythg, really!