PDA

View Full Version : What do we miss from the old igloo?

cille
03-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Ok, don't mean to spread negative vibes here or anything, cause this new igloo certainly is lovely,

i just miss some features from the old format:

- the 'introduce yourself' forum for welcoming new members - i think this forum had a lot to do with the friendly atmos of the igloo, i'd really love to get that back

- the 'latest post' feature at the bottom of the front page was great too, then you could see where 'the buzz' was RIGHT HERE AND NOW, and it made the dialogue very dynamic, almost chat room-like at times - i liked that :smiley4:

could we get any of these thingies back perhaps?

*Killian*
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
- the 'latest post' feature at the bottom of the front page was great too, then you could see where 'the buzz' was RIGHT HERE AND NOW, and it made the dialogue very dynamic, almost chat room-like at times - i liked that :smiley4:

me too, i also liked that the user info was on the left of the post, rather than on top

Wheels
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Cille... those features are here too!!

The 'Introduce Yourself' forum is exactly as it was...

As for the 'latest post' feature - click the "new posts" button in the middle of the menu bar at the top and you get all the latest posts

*Killian*
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
As for the 'latest post' feature - click the "new posts" button in the middle of the menu bar at the top and you get all the latest posts

cool :smiley20:

cille
03-04-2005, 12:31 PM
The 'Introduce Yourself' forum is exactly as it was...

:smiley26: sheesh, i have straw for brains today it seems! (or maybe not just today...?:smiley2: )

i swear i was seriously looking and looking and looking for it and couldn't find it:smiley36:

yeah but i liked it better when it was there all the time so you couldn't avoid seeing where the action was

Angela
03-04-2005, 02:47 PM

Is there a way to sort those by forum? I think they are now sorted by posting time. There are certain forums, like the musician's ones, that I never read and it's currently harder to to go through the new posts if I only log on once a day and get two pages full of search results. :smiley24:

Wheels
03-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Not that I know of Angela...

Angela
03-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh, here's another one: in the signature editing dialog there is no way to insert a picture. I miss my penguin. :(

eims
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
The way the date is shown the 'american way'- the month first and then the date!! It confuses me soo much...:) ;)

Wheels
03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
The way the date is shown the 'american way'- the month first and then the date!! It confuses me soo much...:) ;)

It's not that way for me... maybe you have to select the format in your profile?

eims
03-04-2005, 05:04 PM
i dont think i did, and if i did - i've no idea how to change it! but it's not that bad.. just takes me a while to understand thats all..

Angela
03-04-2005, 05:32 PM

What about the "last post" column? Do you look at that? It's not *exactly* the same, but it comes close. :smiley30:

I'm slowly getting used to it all :smiley17:

TBone
03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Is there a way to sort those by forum? I think they are now sorted by posting time. There are certain forums, like the musician's ones, that I never read and it's currently harder to to go through the new posts if I only log on once a day and get two pages full of search results. :smiley24:

if you click on new post and look to the right of the post titles it tell you what the forum names are, I think thats what you were looking for...

(i miss being able to put icons in your post not just your title but in your post, i dont think you can, i didnt do it too much, but i do like my options open)

=TBone

PAgirl9
03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I MISS MY STARS!!!!!! I was so proud when I hit three....I felt as though I accomplished something.

Angela
03-04-2005, 08:32 PM
if you click on new post and look to the right of the post titles it tell you what the forum names are, I think thats what you were looking for...

(i miss being able to put icons in your post not just your title but in your post, i dont think you can, i didnt do it too much, but i do like my options open)

=TBone

Yes, the forum names are still there, but now I have to look at them all. It used to be sorted before; you know, like all "introduce yourself" threads were together. Now it's all jumbled up. No biggie, though.

To use icons you need to turn on your WYSIWYG edittor. It's somewhere in your User Control Panel. :smiley1:

auhsor
03-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I think it looked better when the bar where the name and avatar etc is was to the left of the post. This saves alot of room on the forum I think.

Colbarr
03-05-2005, 12:15 AM
it doesn't show wat time everyone posted their replies at

Colbarr
03-05-2005, 12:26 AM
also the way i cant type in a link to use my own pic as an avi.

Angela
03-05-2005, 01:06 AM
it doesn't show wat time everyone posted their replies at

Look right above your avatar: "Today, 08:15 PM" :smiley2: Took me a while to find, too.

Wheels
03-05-2005, 01:51 AM
also the way i cant type in a link to use my own pic as an avi.

And Emmett is already working on this one...

marloes
03-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, the forum names are still there, but now I have to look at them all. It used to be sorted before; you know, like all "introduce yourself" threads were together. Now it's all jumbled up. No biggie, though.

yeah, I agree with Angela on this one. I liked it better when all the new posts were sorted by category, it was more conveniently arranged that way.

maccas81
03-05-2005, 01:42 PM

poor old eims, she always was a wee bit slow....... :P

eims
03-05-2005, 03:54 PM
^ hey!!! and why are u talking about me in the past tense?! cheeky shaun..

Livo
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
i don't like the way the threads don't have as many posts on one page as they used to. i'm not mental on the colour scheme, and the layout confuses me. it's all a bit too busy for my liking. overall it's a grand forum, but i preferred the old one and a new one is better than none at all.

cille
03-06-2005, 02:48 PM
i don't like the way the threads don't have as many posts on one page as they used to.

you can change the number of posts/page in your user cp

the layout confuses me a bit too

Angela
03-06-2005, 02:53 PM
i don't like the way the threads don't have as many posts on one page as they used to. i'm not mental on the colour scheme, and the layout confuses me. it's all a bit too busy for my liking. overall it's a grand forum, but i preferred the old one and a new one is better than none at all.

I think that is because the user info now runms across the top of each post. Before it was on the left.

auhsor
03-07-2005, 07:54 AM
I know you can change the settings somewhere so that the user info is on the left for this type of forum. I go to a coulple of other vBulletin forums and they have it how we are sused to, which I think is better.

Anyways, keep up the good work with maintaining this site :)

Loveless
03-07-2005, 02:07 PM
i don't like the way the threads don't have as many posts on one page as they used to. i'm not mental on the colour scheme, and the layout confuses me. it's all a bit too busy for my liking. but i preferred the old one and a new one is better than none at all.

ditto here. I can't get used to this new forum either.
But I know a lot of work has gone into getting it back up and running.
Pity we can't have the old forum back, it worked really well - nearly a little too well.

Michelle Joey
03-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Yay! Our profiles are back on the left...thanks emmett!!! :smiley1:

Admin2
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks for the feedback... i've just changed the user info to the left hand side. do you have a suggestion for the colour scheme? what about the layout confuses you livo?

i personally prefer this forum to the old forum. what is it that you miss? let me know and i'll try to add it.

Admin2
03-07-2005, 03:57 PM
also, in order to make it seem a bit better i've updated your permissions so you should be able to upload a little avatar of your own choice now. it has to be 100 pixels by 100 pixels or less. please let me know what else i can do to make it nicer here.

DaveG
03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
hmmh emmettu2 makes a return and saves the day for the lefties.........

administrator
03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
and you can now add a profile photo so people can see what you look like by clicking on your public profile.

Admin2
03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
i've also increased the number of posts shown per thread, as per livo's request.

Angela
03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
It's nice to have the profiles back on the left. Much easier to read now. Thanks for the tweaks, Emm!

I noticed the editor for signatures doesn't allow for image insertions. Cant that be changed? I'm missing my penguine.

cille
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
what about the layout confuses you livo?
well i'm not the lovely livo but i think maybe the dark blue bars + spaces between the posts are making the lay-out more messy than it has to..? coz it looks less confusing on the forum front page where there are no bars, just thin lines between the forum names.

auhsor
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Yay very nice changes emmett. I'm liking it very much :)

Catch-22
03-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Gonna take a while to get used to all this!

Livo
03-13-2005, 05:22 PM
perfect now! but how do you get the old smilies?

Wheels
03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
perfect now! but how do you get the old smilies?

Somewhere in your profile you select the WYSIWYG option... then they show up when you are replying to anything

Wheels
03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, quick links... edit options

Then down at the very bottom select 'enhanced interface - full WYSIWYG editing' or something. :)

Gatsby
03-14-2005, 12:01 AM
maybe if you have optional colour schemes for the board that you can change in your profile... then people can decide for themselves what they like best

otherwise i much prefer this board... its top notch

cille
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
WYSIWYG

jeez boyo, swallow your food before you talk - it's impossible to understand what you're saying!:smiley7: :smiley23:

:smiley8:

Wheels
03-14-2005, 12:31 PM
jeez boyo, swallow your food before you talk - it's impossible to understand what you're saying!:smiley7: :smiley23:

:smiley8:

:smiley31:

cille
03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
:smiley31:

awwwww, thanks for that sweet wheeley! we need to get some more eskimo love back into the igloo!:smiley4: :smiley19:

Angela
03-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Is there a way to see all post from, say, the last day, the last two days etc.? All I see is "new posts" (since last visit). :smiley23:

Wheels
03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Is there a way to see all post from, say, the last day, the last two days etc.? All I see is "new posts" (since last visit). :smiley23:

I haven't found that yet either... it was useful on the old forum alright...

Angela
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
I know another forum that's using the same software. I'll look around there and see if they have that, since they've been tweaking the board for while.

Admin2
03-15-2005, 05:28 PM
ok, i've added a little menu on the left of the navigation bar... it says active topics... just click on that and you'll get a pop-up where you can select what threads to see (i.e. last 1 day, 2 days etc.)

Wheels
03-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Oooohhh.... nice one :smiley32: thanks

Gatsby
03-15-2005, 07:11 PM
um on the main page where u see who posted last in the forum... it just says today so u cant be sure if you read it or not... any way of putting a time and date?

Angela
03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
ok, i've added a little menu on the left of the navigation bar... it says active topics... just click on that and you'll get a pop-up where you can select what threads to see (i.e. last 1 day, 2 days etc.)

Brilliant! Thanks! :smiley4:

Admin2
03-15-2005, 10:10 PM
sure. there you go.

mari
03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible to display the date next to the thread/thread starter info, as it used to be in the old igloo. I was searching for something and had no luck using the 'search' function, I gave up because I couldn't seem to find the thread without a date to guide me. (I hope that makes sense:smiley9: ).

Wheels
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible to display the date next to the thread/thread starter info, as it used to be in the old igloo. I was searching for something and had no luck using the 'search' function, I gave up because I couldn't seem to find the thread without a date to guide me. (I hope that makes sense:smiley9: ).

You want the date of when the thread STARTED to be displayed?

mari
03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Sorry Wheels, yes that's what I meant. I realise the time and date of the last post in the thread is already displayed. Anyhow, the new forum is brilliant with or without any further tweaks:smiley31: .

Lemonhead
03-18-2005, 07:53 PM
how the frick do you re-activate the old smilies?!!! the new ones FREAK me out!! they look like aliens... someone delete them!! emmett please annhialate them, i miss my old happy smile!
and how is weatherman supposed to post anything without the winking one?! hehehe..
oh and hey bumpman, i checked my inbox, feel free to send your message again now!!

Colbarr
03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Three Word Story

Wheels
03-18-2005, 10:27 PM
how the frick do you re-activate the old smilies?!!!

I know I've explained this before... but anyway...

Go to Quick Links up the top there, select Edit Options... go right down to the bottom to Miscellaneous Options and select 'Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG editing' and they appear every time you do a reply (not the quick reply though)

Miss Pink
03-18-2005, 10:47 PM
emmett since we're asking for stuff, i was wondering cud i have a million euro.......please.

Its for a very good pink cause.

Miss Pink
03-21-2005, 08:20 PM
emm darling just wondering, i saw this in another forum and i thought it was clever. when u were logging in, it asked u how long u wanted to saty logged in for...i like this ideas cuz its good for the times when u pop in "only for 10 min" but reallt stay for 20.

I have no self control

Angela
03-21-2005, 11:35 PM
...when u were logging in, it asked u how long u wanted to saty logged in for...i like this ideas cuz its good for the times when u pop in "only for 10 min" but reallt stay for 20.

Why don't you stay permanently logged in? I never log out. :confused:

Henry
03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I've checked everywhere and haven't found any, but is there a button to activate the stars? Not sure if I'm just missing it.

Everything looks great :)

Wheels
03-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I've checked everywhere and haven't found any, but is there a button to activate the stars? Not sure if I'm just missing it.

Everything looks great :)

You have to activate them in your profile. Go to 'quick links' at the top of the forum, then 'Edit Options'... on the new screen scroll to the last option box and select 'Enhanced Interface - full WYSIWYG editing'.

Then when you click post reply you will see all the smilies :smiley23:

Angela
03-25-2005, 12:17 AM

I think he means that stars we used to have based on the number of posts?

Wheels
03-25-2005, 12:36 AM
I think he means that stars we used to have based on the number of posts?

Oh :smiley9:

Krystian
03-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I miss the old smiley... these new fangled smilies aren't for me, but I will deal because I love the igloo :O)

Wheels
03-25-2005, 11:59 PM
I miss the old smiley... these new fangled smilies aren't for me, but I will deal because I love the igloo :O)

You have to activate them in your profile. Go to 'quick links' at the top of the forum, then 'Edit Options'... on the new screen scroll to the last option box and select 'Enhanced Interface - full WYSIWYG editing'.

snowbaby
03-26-2005, 11:34 AM
only thing i kinda dislike is that i can't figure out how to permantely stop pm saving themselves to the sent box without disabling that box everytime!!!

auhsor
03-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Alrighty... I did some searching, and it's something that Emmett needs to change. He should check this site out: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39588 :)

cheese
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh you all missed the smell of cheese of course?? ;) :D

I think this is my first post in the new forum, I came here the first day and got scared and ran :( Sorry!
I have to agree with the earlier postings, while lurking I miss the recent post section on the main page, it helped especially to see when someone had replied to a post :) I'll get used to it :P ...I can't get used to the smilies though, where's my hug smiley?? :O :O

Anyhoo hi guys, well done on the new design Emmett :D
*HUGS*

Wheels
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Cheese... use the 'Todays post' feature and that'll show you the recent posts...

You can also turn on your hug smilies etc by going to Quick Links, Edit Options... then scrolling to the end of the screen and under Miscellaneous options select Enhanced Interface - full WYSIWYG editing... or something like that.

This igloo is much better me thinks

cheese
04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Thank Wheels...me thinks I need to look at the options a bit more. :P
I like the new look! :)
*HUGS*

administrator
04-07-2005, 11:22 PM
ok, i've set it so it shouldn't be saving your private messages to the sent folder automatically. thanks auhsor

cille
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
but we can chose to save them - right?

auhsor
04-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Thats alright Emmett :) Yeah you can still save them, its jsut that by default it doesn't now. Before, if you didnt realise it was happening, your inbox would fill up very quickly if you sent a few PM's.

Aisling
04-08-2005, 01:19 PM
the one thing that i miss from the old forum... FIFI! :smiley24:

Wheels
04-09-2005, 01:53 PM
And where is she??

Sionna
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Im still here!!(not as often tho) :)

Wheels
04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Im still here!!(not as often tho) :)

Wow, Emmett can fix ANYthing... even bring back missing eskimos! :smiley3:

:smiley17:

Uno- X
04-12-2005, 10:52 AM
can ya bring Katinka back?!

administrator
04-17-2005, 12:01 PM
i cannnnnnnnnnn! here she is!

cille
04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
edit: just a stoopid question but nevermind, wheels told me.:smiley20:

Uno- X
04-18-2005, 08:16 AM
i cannnnnnnnnnn! here she is!emm I lurve ya! *smooch* thanks!

*Killian*
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
is there any way we can have pics in our signatures??? like in the old igloo, before it melted

GlttrGrrl
04-19-2005, 01:14 AM
I miss my old avatar :( I don't know how to get it back

cille
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
have you got a link for it? or got it on your harddisk?