PDA

View Full Version : Uploading songs - Policy

Cali
09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
emmett,

i'm confused about the policy for uploading songs. i know that we can't upload released songs, or songs from benefit concerts or realeased colaborations. but what about non-realeased songs or regular shows? can you explain this? i'm confused :confused:

Henry
09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm not exactly sure on the rules here on EF, but how it usually goes in music forums is anything that is from an album or officially released somewhere isn't allowed to be posted. Anything that is from a live show or live recording (even if it's an "unreleased" track) can be posted, unless the artist himself comes out and says not to.

administrator
09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
please don't post anything that might get us in trouble... so nothing that has been officially released and is available to be bought elsewhere... and nothing that is unreleased (whether live or not)... if you want to link to a track that damien played in a radio session or something then that's fine... i just don't want to upset either the band, the management or the record company

Miss Pink
09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
oh i get it now.

sorry for posting the juniper song

administrator
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
no problem, i'm sorry i had to remove it...

Cali
09-13-2005, 04:24 PM
thanks emmett but i'm still kind of confused. that means that songs like woman like a man or sex change should not be uploaded but a live version of volcano would be fine?

please don't post anything that might get us in trouble... so nothing that has been officially released and is available to be bought elsewhere... and nothing that is unreleased (whether live or not)... if you want to link to a track that damien played in a radio session or something then that's fine... i just don't want to upset either the band, the management or the record company

administrator
09-13-2005, 10:53 PM
well if it was a good, clear version of volcano that the band wouldn't hate, then i'm sure that it would be okay for you to link to. but no posting sex change for instance. i just don't want to upset anyone, and the record company asked us to remove a link someone had posted to an unreleased track once, so i wouldn't like for that to have to happen again.

Cali
09-13-2005, 10:57 PM
hmm, thanks emmett. i didn't know, sorry for all the songs i uploaded :( i don't wanna get you in trouble

cille
09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
emmett, i was wondering: would it be ok to share a link for the false pitch version of cross-eyed bear? since it's obviously not the real version and not available anywhere anymore...?

administrator
09-19-2005, 08:24 PM
no please don't, it seems the same as the new version to me.

cille
09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
i won't, it's ok.

(they are quite different)

administrator
09-19-2005, 11:43 PM
do you really hear differences? i can't even find a slight change in it? i've been trying to figure out why they put up a different version, when they seem to be the same?

cille
09-19-2005, 11:45 PM
the pitch is lower on the very first version - damien and lisa's voises sound weird, and it is slower, sort of. it's probably only ½ tone down or so, but they sound really weird. maybe you don't have the first version?

Dean C
09-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Can we post direct download links to songs that were performed live (aka have no copyright associated with them) :)?

Angela
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Can we post direct download links to songs that were performed live (aka have no copyright associated with them) :)?

The copyright doesn't magically disappear once you sing a song live. :smiley2: And if you look in the post near the top Emmett explained exactly what live recordings you can link to and which ones you can't :)

SisterMidnight
09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
(they are quite different)quite... i still like the "false pitch" version better :)

well i'm sorry but this is a shame... i always thought the trading forum was one of the coolest parts of this site and honestly it's what drew me here in the first place... apparently the policy has undergone some changes so at least it's nice to know that there is an actual policy so we don't run into one person posting links to songs and that's just fine, and then another does it at a later date and is treated like a criminal...

personally i think it's the trading of live and unreleased recordings that has kept damien's music alive in the hearts and minds of fans in the absence of an official (and long-awaited) release but oh well. i understand where emmett's coming from

it's kind of funny that the people posting in this thread are some of the most avid traders of damien's music though...

Cali
09-30-2005, 06:27 PM
it's kind of funny that the people posting in this thread are some of the most avid traders of damien's music though...

well of course, that's exactly why i asked this question

but actually your post made me wonder if there's a legal difference between posting the link of a song in lossy format (mp3) and downloading from the hub, torrents and using b&p

SisterMidnight
09-30-2005, 07:45 PM
well of course, that's exactly why i asked this question

but actually your post made me wonder if there's a legal difference between posting the link of a song in lossy format (mp3) and downloading from the hub, torrents and using b&pyou know i regretted that part of my comment and was coming back to edit it... i wasn't really referring to you cali i think it was a very good question, just some of the comments seemed hypocritical to me in a way...

at any rate it's emmett's call at the end of the day, he is lord of the eskimos after all :)

(was just voicing my opinion on the matter) *dodges the impending slings and arrows*

administrator
09-30-2005, 11:14 PM
the pitch is lower on the very first version - damien and lisa's voises sound weird, and it is slower, sort of. it's probably only ½ tone down or so, but they sound really weird. maybe you don't have the first version?
i must have been playing the first version instead of the second version, can definitely hear the difference now!

Michelle Joey
12-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Did Damien not say once he didn't mind bootlegs etc of his songs on the Net (bar that babies one he played at the instore who's proper name has totally slipped my mind) ... maybe I'm thinking of someone else though :smiley24:

Naveed
12-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Sometimes, the labels override what the artist wants, its pretty sad.
You get artist who love the trade community, and the labels see the $_$ slipping away so they put a stop to it... :(