The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Emmett Tinley, 12 June - Paradiso (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3972)

cille 06-16-2004 10:04 PM

that's so cool!

i'd be really jealous of you, if you weren't 'one of us'[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Loveless 06-17-2004 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marloes
If you listen to Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle there is already a world of difference between the sound, and I think that was mostly Emmett's decision to change the course. And the gigs he has played in the past 4 years (at least in Holland) have either been solo or with different musicians than the ones on the record

The seven year gap between Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle might have something to do with the sound change aswell [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Officially the last Prayer Boat gig was December 11 1999/2000 in the Paradiso, Amsterdam. Emmett signed a solo deal with Atlantic Records around September 2001. Other events at that time conspired against Emmett's album.

Prayer Boat news
Edited by: Loveless

Angela 06-17-2004 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cillecille
I'd be really jealous of you, if you weren't 'one of us'[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Good think I moved to Yemen, I guees. But shouldn't you rather be jealous of Sarah? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]I haven't even seen the man yet! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

cille 06-17-2004 12:38 AM

hehe, i'd also be jealous of sarah, if she wasnt on the team...

but i really do think, the one im the most jealous of would be ahren, the toy cow who hugged so many great ones![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Angela 06-17-2004 02:26 AM

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]The slut!

marloes 06-17-2004 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveless
The seven year gap between Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle might have something to do with the sound change aswell [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

well duh, I thought that would speak for itself [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

cille 06-17-2004 06:17 PM

what is 'oceanic feeling' like? better/worse/something in between/hello/good evening?

Loveless 06-18-2004 01:02 AM

It's a beautiful album to listen to. The full band features more than on Polichinelle. There's great use of instruments, melody, strong lyrics and Emmett's ever soulful voice.

I get a great feeling of optimism when I listen to it. It's very uplifting to me anyway. In Freud's book, "Civilization and its Discontents" he described the 'oceanic feeling' as a sensation of 'eternity,' a feeling of something limitless, unbounded or 'oceanic.' This feeling he believed was the source of religious energy.

"Protest songs and rebirth / Are in and out of fashion / As if fashion created the earth"
- Upside Down

A lot of people have Polichinelle as their favourite album but I seem to gravitate towards Oceanic Feeling more often. Whereas their second release grabs your still-beating heart and throws it to the floor in despair, their debut is like a warm comforting arm around your shoulder.

Oh, and it's impossibly hard to find.

It has some up-tempo songs like 'Stopping The World', 'Don't Make Me Breath You In' and 'Upside Down' and there are some songs like 'Out Of Mind', 'Still Only One' and the epic 'Mercy' that just wander off to a different space and find their way home through some skillful navigation from the helm of the Prayer Boat. The gentle 'Millionaire Hero' and 'Hunger For The Beautiful' join the gaps tripping along on their own good vibes and positivity.

If you're looking for contemporary comparisons you could site the influence maybe of R.E.M. circa Green era, the Blue Nile or closer to home perhaps Van Morrison.

"We walk in Autumn's temple, her church of gold and crystal air, her beauty makes me small, It touches me inside, it touches you inside, I know you feel it too by these invisible lines, that tie me to you"
- Hunger For The Beautiful

cille 06-18-2004 01:05 AM

oh wow, thx for that thorough describtion, loveless. now i really want to find that album!

cille 06-18-2004 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveless

I get a great feeling of optimism when I listen to it. It's very uplifting to me anyway. In Freud's book, "Civilization and its Discontents" he described the 'oceanic feeling' as a sensation of 'eternity,' a feeling of something limitless, unbounded or 'oceanic.' This feeling he believed was the source of religious energy.

woah, sounds like Sigi was still influenced by Jung when writing that. always wanted to read that book, actually. now i feel i have too - incredibly interesting!

marloes 06-18-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

oh wow, thx for that thorough describtion, loveless. now i really want to find that album!

look no further!!! I have it!!!!!

sezmo 06-18-2004 11:46 AM

Do you!!!???? http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

marloes 06-18-2004 11:47 AM

SARAH : CLEAN OUT YOUR INBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!

sezmo 06-18-2004 11:48 AM

Sorry! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

It's empty now.

cille 06-18-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marloes
Quote:

look no further!!! I have it!!!!!

oh yeah?

emersern! ;-)

Angela 06-18-2004 02:48 PM

I don't like the sound ofOceanic Feeling as much as Polichinelle, but the lyrics arequite interesting. Edited by: Angela

cille 06-20-2004 12:14 AM

think i feel the same about oceanic feeling - from what ive heard so far. it sounds like emmett had u2-ambitions back then, production-wise, and it really doesnt sound like his game.

polichinelle is miles ahead of that, i'v heard it a few times and it already has a place in my heart.