The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Had anyone every noticed... (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4471)

steph 06-22-2004 10:42 PM

that theintroduction toBaby Sister sounds alot like the intro to Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat? May be a stretch....

cille 06-22-2004 10:52 PM

hey, someone just said that baby sister's leo cohen'ish last night! someone clever from here, dont remember who [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Gatsby 06-23-2004 05:02 AM

yes a few people have said that...

same with a few of his songs as well

childish - bear neccesities

groovin - its a nina simone song i dont know the name of

sonofelvis 06-23-2004 01:57 PM

y'know i was only thinkinn about that last night as i was drivin home listenin to famous blue raincoat.

weird!!!

cille 06-23-2004 02:07 PM

we seem to have sort of suncronized our brains [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

sonofelvis 06-23-2004 02:08 PM

weird!!!

i love the bear neccessities\childish vibe, it gives me free reign to break into one or the other when i sing either one.

Banjaxed 06-23-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeweller
same with a few of his songs as well
groovin - its a nina simone song i dont know the name of

It's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" and you can listen to a clip of it here.

hazey 06-23-2004 02:37 PM

Yes! I once posted about that on the other DR board (the evil one), asking if anyone else had noticed the similarity, but nobody ever responded, so I thought it was just all in my head.

Banjaxed 06-23-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazey
Yes! I once posted about that on the other DR board (the evil one), asking if anyone else had noticed the similarity, but nobody ever responded, so I thought it was just all in my head.

yeah, i had been learning it (groovin) on guitar and then I was in a shop in town and the My Baby started playing - I was like "what the hell, they're playin Groovin'?". then I was like, "pfff, Damo stealing Nina's songs... tut tut tut".

LostCause 06-23-2004 03:17 PM

I think it sounds the same aswell. Maybe thats why I think its Damo's poorest song. Although Famous Blue Raincoat is Leonard's greatest...

cille 06-23-2004 03:19 PM

hm, i really do think baby sister is one of damien's most interesting songs - also lyrics wise. for once a song that's not about him being dumped by a girl [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Banjaxed 06-23-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph
that theintroduction toBaby Sister sounds alot like the intro to Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat? May be a stretch....

I think the style is similar but the mood is very different.

If you'd like me to be more vague i could possibly hit some random keys and post that.

hazey 06-23-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cillecille
hm, i really do think baby sister is one of damien's most interesting songs - also lyrics wise. for once a song that's not about him being dumped by a girl [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

I think I've read somewhere that Baby Sister was actually written for a short Irish film (the one he has a teeny tiny part in).

ali* 06-23-2004 06:00 PM

very true, it was for a film

cille 06-23-2004 07:11 PM

ah yes, the one where they got him into a suit and tie [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Gatsby 06-23-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjaxed

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazey

yeah, i had been learning it (groovin) on guitar and then I was in a shop in town and the My Baby started playing - I was like "what the hell, they're playin Groovin'?". then I was like, "pfff, Damo stealing Nina's songs... tut tut tut".

i was at a party and a girl was playing it on piano and me and a friend started singing grooving and she gave out to us saying thats not thel lyrics to the song[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Spamlet 06-23-2004 09:06 PM

Bajaxed,

I got 41 seconds of pure silence from your Simone songlink.

Banjaxed 06-23-2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet
Bajaxed,
I got 41 seconds of pure silence from your Simone songlink.

Put your headphones on! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Sorry, couldn't resist! I dunno, it worked for me thro real-player. It's a link off the official Nina Simone website if you wanna try it from there. It's probably a codec problem on your version of real player tho.

I think either Patricia or sillycille has put links somewhere to an alternative to real player that doesn't have these problems - maybe they could help?