The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "I Don't Want to Change You" Is Supposed to Be Released Today, 9/22 (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17251)

verenita 09-23-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodie (Post 375143)
while Rice reminds us of his distinctive talent for lyrical storytelling.

nice words :)

Agent99 09-23-2014 07:54 PM

Does he say 'angel' at some point? I only hear "a manger."

Accidental Baby 09-23-2014 07:57 PM

I think this is one of James Blunt's better songs.

Moves-My-World 09-23-2014 08:04 PM

This is what I hear

Quote:

Wherever you are
Know that I adore you
No matter how far
Well I can go before you
And if ever you need someone
Not that you need helping
But if ever you want someone
Know that I am willing

Oh and I don't want to change you
I don't want to change you
I don't want to change your mind

I just came across a manger
Out among the danger
Somewhere in a stranger's eye

Wherever you go
Well I can always follow
I can feed this real slow
If it's a lot to swallow
If you just want to be alone
I can wait without waiting
And if you want me to let this go
Well I am more than willing

Oh 'cause I don't want to change you

Out among the danger

Oh and I don't want to change you

Out among the danger

I've never been with anyone
In the way I've been with you
But if love is not for fun
Then it's doomed because
Water races
Water races
Down the waterfalls
Water races
Water races
Down the waterfall

And I don't want to change you

Where there is no danger
Where love has eyes and is not blind

damien lisa 09-23-2014 08:06 PM

uhm, it doesn't have huge impact on me like My fav faded away

Shillelagh 09-23-2014 08:08 PM

eva_arg 09-23-2014 08:09 PM

does anyone else fear the album is going to sound too overproduced? I suppose that's what happens when you hire a known producer.
Anyway, really looking forward to these new songs, I think they will sound better live. To be fair that happens with a lot of bands and artists for me.

damien lisa 09-23-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves-My-World (Post 375150)
This is what I hear

"I don't *want* to change you" not what

mario_d 09-23-2014 08:13 PM

So, what are the odds that of the nine songs we know we will hear, any single one of isn't seemingly about Lisa?

We're already 2/2.

demonhuntress 09-23-2014 08:15 PM

I was listening to the Ben Howard show and Damien's new track was actually played right before the show started :)

Edit: Sorry, I managed to skip whole two pages of answers. Only then I found there was no need for my comment.

damien lisa 09-23-2014 08:25 PM

i don't get the meaning of "Water races" and "Down the waterfall"

mario_d 09-23-2014 08:28 PM

I think the more confusing part is looking in a stranger's eye and seeing danger surrounding a manger.

eva_arg 09-23-2014 08:37 PM

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-00009...5-t500x500.jpg

Wheels 09-23-2014 08:54 PM

I LOVE this song. Beautiful.

mattministrator 09-23-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 375153)
does anyone else fear the album is going to sound too overproduced?

I certainly lean that way after listening to the song. It lacks the edge that I enjoy in so many of his musical offerings and that, for me, was definitely present in MFFF. As for the possiblity of all songs dealing with his past relationship, I don't really mind if it turns out this way, as I can easily picture Damien come up with a good number of songs about the same (certainly dominant) topic of his last decade with different twists.

Wheels 09-23-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien lisa (Post 375158)
i don't get the meaning of "Water races" and "Down the waterfall"

Possibly water is time and the waterfall is life?

verenita 09-23-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 375162)

^ heartbreaking...

carrroline 09-23-2014 09:08 PM

It's on soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/damienrice/i-...ge-you/s-rMUfO

verenita 09-23-2014 09:10 PM

^ hehe, we all received the same message via newsletter :P

carrroline 09-23-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 375169)
^ hehe, we all received the same message via newsletter :P

:p
I know. But I thought it was worth mentioning anyways :)

verenita 09-23-2014 09:21 PM

you were damn right ;)

Cremallero 09-23-2014 09:31 PM

You think they'll be sending those who pre-ordered it a link to download the single?

shakas 09-23-2014 09:35 PM

I like it well enough. In some ways I prefer it to the radio version of My Favourite Faded Fantasy, since it sounds a bit more like traditional damien rice. I still like the sound of the Faded Fantasy Youtube clip the best.
You can definitely hear the over-production in these songs, there's no reason to put Rick Rubin with Damien Rice (other than that Damien wanted to, apparently)...he often ruins people's distinct sounds. Part of Damien's sound, I think, was the rawness, the frailty and the idea that you might just be listening to a band performing in pub or a rehearsal. That part of the sounds seems to be missing, for the most part.
Looking forward to see what else the album has to offer though.

Moves-My-World 09-23-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 375153)
does anyone else fear the album is going to sound too overproduced? I suppose that's what happens when you hire a known producer.
Anyway, really looking forward to these new songs, I think they will sound better live. To be fair that happens with a lot of bands and artists for me.

This is a really good point. I think it's because produced songs by Damien are still a novelty. So much so that it can sound almost unnatural, like hearing your own voice on tape, because we're used to the raw performances. I'm excited to hear what the likes of The Box sounds like on disc but I doubt I'll prefer the studio version to any live option out there.

I guess it's the downside of Damien being such a perfect performer!

Wheels 09-23-2014 09:52 PM

I don't hear it OVER produced at ALL. I think the production for both songs so far have been spot on. They are beautifully crafted.

verenita 09-23-2014 10:21 PM

i am far from having a reason, but i think damien needed it to be "overproduced", if so... it seems to me he was kind of looking for it... and he might like it, that's why the album will be finally out, after all the "working on it, quiting it, working on it, quiting it"... just my humble opinion though.

Shillelagh 09-23-2014 10:25 PM

I love the new sound. Reminds me of summer 2007. Not overproduced at all. The wall of strings is incredibly powerful.

borneoman 09-23-2014 10:35 PM

not totally sold on this one yet, sounds almost "too nice", and the lyrics donīt blow my mind like previous ones... but maybe itīs a grower, I donīt know, maybe my expectations were too high but I really think MFFF is a much better song both lyrically and musically... and same for the other four Iīve heard live versions of (Bastard, The Box, Trusty & True and Long Way)

but again I didnīt like MFFF in the beginning and now I think itīs the best song ever, and especially the falsetto version :D

borneoman 09-23-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d (Post 375155)
So, what are the odds that of the nine songs we know we will hear, any single one of isn't seemingly about Lisa?

We're already 2/2.

The Greatest Bastard, same theme

but Long Long Way Iīd say no, and Trusty & True not either

The Box Iīd say also not

Spamlet 09-23-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d (Post 375159)
I think the more confusing part is looking in a stranger's eye and seeing danger surrounding a manger.

Only confusing because that's not what is really being said. The line is about discovering a safe refuge in a world where one has come to expect encountering only hostility and alienation. It's similar to the sentiment of "Cold Water" in that in the moment just before freezing to death /drowning your final prayer is for the possibility of deliverance.

As for this song's 'water' section: the idea is that there is an inevitability to the sweep of nature. You do not get to decide who you will fall in love with any more than the water gets to choose its being a slave to gravity.