The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Saddest song ever ? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035)

bennyhuggel 10-25-2003 10:28 AM

"Let's Pretend" by Life Of Agony
if you know what the songs about

Sionna 10-25-2003 01:10 PM

"I held her close she looked at me and said'hold me darling just a little while'....." the tears are welling up [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Aisling 10-27-2003 03:38 PM

remember the song elton john write for diana after she died what was it called... candle in the wind that's incredibly sad

idiosynful 10-27-2003 04:37 PM

The Queen and the Soldier - Suzanne Vega (I almost broke down crying the first time i heard it.

Hallejuah- Leonard Cohen. And every time I hear it...I just get this sad, sad feeling. It's amazing...but melancholy and beautiful. I cry soemtimes as well. I don't even know why.

Krystian 10-27-2003 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sionna
"I held her close she looked at me and said'hold me darling just a little while'....." the tears are welling up [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

i can feel the tears as well fifi [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] uh oh here they come....[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Jeanette 10-27-2003 06:18 PM

Absolutely most beautiful song ever (until I listen to Damien Rice some more)- "Throw Your Arms Around Me". It's by Hunters and Collectors - an Aussie band - but my favourite version is a cover of it by the Doug Anthony All Stars, an Aussie comedic trio, as sung Live in London, on said CD.

I also absolutely adore my previous housemate's cover of The Professor, and Creep, both by Radiohead and Damien Rice.Edited by: Jeanette

Sionna 10-28-2003 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystian

Quote:

i can feel the tears as well fifi [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]* uh oh here they come....*[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

I really should have my username as fifi now,o well![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Alone 10-28-2003 11:10 AM

Its Not Easy Being Green or Cheers Darlin

administrator 10-28-2003 11:18 AM

"jupiter crash" by the cure

julia 10-28-2003 11:21 AM

Pick any cure song and you got sad... I love them though!!

julia 10-28-2003 11:26 AM

What about "Everybody hurts" By REM

VolcanoLola 10-28-2003 12:17 PM

Hmm... I was thinking and thinking...my vote is for:

Fiona Apple "Love Ridden"

and/ or

Radiohead "Creep"

patch22 10-28-2003 12:24 PM

heartbreaker...the whole album...ryan adams..

Aisling 10-28-2003 06:04 PM

hey lola mine was gonna be love ridden but i figured that it was sad only for me...obviously not

VolcanoLola 10-28-2003 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling
hey lola mine was gonna be love ridden but i figured that it was sad only for me...obviously not

Definitely not! It's such a beautifully sad song and completely relatable to real life. Fiona in general is a very cathartic artist to listen to cuz she goes through all ranges of emotion: anger, sadness, distrust, love, hate, not giving a sh*t, etc...

mierk 10-28-2003 09:24 PM

Fiona's "Love Ridden" is definitely a good choice, but I almost find the next song, "Paper Bag," to be just as sad. "Everybody Hurts" is sad but it's also really really hopeful and encouraging at the same time. The video is great too.

RedPerspective 10-28-2003 10:26 PM

Just a few more (slightly obscure) choices...

Red House Painters - Drop (the saddest song ever by one of the saddest bands ever... do yourself a favor and track this down...)

Patty Griffin - Be Careful (another amazing artist with tons of sad songs... try "Top Of The World," "Mary," and "Poor Man's House" too...)

Nina Simone - I Love You Porgy (just for the way she sings theopening lines..)

The Cure - Untitled (or just listen to the whole 'Disintegration' album)

Krystian 10-28-2003 11:48 PM

hey Brandy(Alone), welcome to the site [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

Mohawk 10-29-2003 04:32 PM

Red House painters are great..... I recently bought a copy of Songs for a blue guitar and I really love their music..... It's a bit sad, but in a way also kinda experimental... Anyway, it fits really good at those dark and lonely autumn evenings when no-one seems to be around giving a helping hand... Melancholic it is!

They really really deserve a bigger audience (And I really need them to come and play in Holland soon [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])Edited by: Mohawk

RedPerspective 10-30-2003 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohawk

Red House painters are great..... I recently bought a copy of Songs for a blue guitar and I really love their music.....

That's actually one of their "happiest" albums... also the most electric as well. For sadder fare I would recommend "Ocean Beach" (which features "Drop") or"Retrospective" (2 CDs of greatest hits and rarities, including the saddest version of a KISS song ever..).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohawk
It's a bit sad, but in a way also kinda experimental... Anyway, it fits really good at those dark and lonely autumn evenings when no-one seems to be around giving a helping hand... Melancholic it is!

They really really deserve a bigger audience (And I really need them to come and play in Holland soon [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])

They don't even tour America much. I did see 'em last time around,good live but not as good as the albums.. the mood got lost a bit. (As opposed to folks like PattyGriffin, Ryan Adams, or Damo... every bit as intense live and then some.) RHP is basically Mark Kozelek and whoever he brings along, so you might look for his name or his new band, Sun Kil Moon. (It comes out in the U.S. on Tuesday.) Who knows, he might tour abroad soon.

Oh yeah, FYI, I stole my band name (Red Perspective) from them. Sorry Mark.

unexplainedmuse 10-30-2003 12:26 PM

insane...i cant hardly even listen to it anymore..that and prague,

zombie by the cranberries

bother by stone sour

you were mine by the dixie chicks...and a 1,000 others that ive forgotten from forcing myself not to listen to them.

Bulldog 10-30-2003 05:58 PM

I now this is a bit outthere but I think any version of Creep i've heardis really sad because of the emotion that goes with it[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Mohawk 11-01-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedPerspective
[That's actually one of their "happiest" albums... also the most electric as well. For sadder fare I would recommend "Ocean Beach" (which features "Drop") or"Retrospective" (2 CDs of greatest hits and rarities, including the saddest version of a KISS song ever..).

Thanks! I was thinking about buying another CD of them and Ocean beach was recommended by more people, so I think I'll have a go on that one....

I'm sure they will perform in Holland sometime, but I just can't stand those venues replying to questions whether they'll be playing there soon with answers like... "They're not on our list" f**k... If you'd see who are! The deserve gigs in those beautiful venues..... Well basically this goes for most of the artists I like... I experienced the same with Damien and Tom McRae....[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Vienna 11-01-2003 04:59 PM

Quote:

Pearl Jam-Last Kiss [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] Its so depressing,also Radiohead-Exit Music(for a film),its prob one of my fave radiohead songs.

definitely exit music, that is my fave radiohead song

i agree with zombie by the cranberries, there are a few songs on that album that are pretty sad....'the icicle melts', 'Yeat's Grave'

michael jackson - 'little susie'...beautiful song , very sad little story

Sionna 11-01-2003 06:18 PM

Zombie is in my fave top 3 songs,I've loved it for years,its impossible to get sick of.

Smithy 11-01-2003 06:28 PM

God Kicks - Therapy?

what a jolly song that is hehe,

brothers in arms - dire straits (was sad even before they used it as background music to a suicide scene of some drama or another on the beeb)

gazdep 11-01-2003 07:09 PM

Three that I can think of:

1: Honey - Bobby Goldsboro ( call me an soppy old git) - "one day when I was not at home, when she was there and all alone, the angels came......now all I have are memories of honey and I wake up nights and call her name." [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

2: Old Shep - Elvis Presley (wheres the man size kleenex) "he came to my side and he looked up at me, and lay his old head on my knee.....and I struck the best friend that I ever had, I cried till I scarcely could see" [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

3: Fruit Tree - Nick Drake (a very prophetic song for him) "safe in the veil of an everlasting night, you find the darkness can give the brightest light.......safe in your place deep in the earth, that's when you'll know what you were really worth. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Vienna 11-02-2003 03:04 PM

Quote:

Zombie is in my fave top 3 songs,I've loved it for years,its impossible to get sick of.

god yeh i can remember when i was, like, ten years old and my mother had the 'no need to argue' album and was playing it all the time and i have just loved that song since then!!!!

Hotstepper 11-11-2003 02:04 PM

Sorry for dragging this one back up, just finished reading through it all.

Some great songs, and some very sad ones [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

My sad song Bill Withers - Aint No Sunshine

Smithy 11-11-2003 02:33 PM

I love that song! I reckon I've nearly worn out that track on my Old Grey Whistle Test DVD lol. Was even inspired to draw Bill Withers, only to have people ask who the heck is that lol