The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Saddest song ever ? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035)

Jordan 11-11-2003 03:14 PM

I would have to say St. You by the Constantines. That's a great song, one of my favorites.

Mojo_Pin1980 11-11-2003 03:33 PM

Simple...

Everything by Bright Eyes!!![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Gatsby 11-11-2003 03:59 PM

Fleetwood mac - man of the world

used to adore this song but that drink driving ad where he rolls over and kills the boy kinda ruined it for me...

Odalisque 11-11-2003 05:40 PM

Bloody Sunday...a Hungarian song...Bjork's cover of it is amazing.

longle 11-11-2003 05:44 PM

yesterday by the beatles. yes, a bit overrated but that song gets me all misty.

kristine 11-11-2003 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch

Sorry to get all classical but Canon by Pachelbel is my saddest song.

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

I couldn't agree more...plus there's one by Beethoven that is completely escaping my mind at the moment...Midnight Sonata, maybe? If any of you haven't seen the movie Immortal Beloved, you should!

Plus, these others always get me:
With or Without You - U2
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Please, Please Me - Ben Harper
Fade Into You - Mazzy Starr
Anna Begins, Perfect Blue Buildings - Counting Crows

though, for me...anything played or sang with intensity/passion will be poignant for me...I'm a sucker for passion and romance!

Gatsby 11-11-2003 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristine

i would have said "high hopes" before that... i actually find that upliftingEdited by: Jeweller

wavegoodbye 11-12-2003 11:56 AM

Falling Downthe Mountainside - David Gray

wavegoodbye 11-12-2003 11:59 AM

Hey,my name's Kristine too! How exciting!

Do you have to say "with a K" like 40 times a day too?? Hehe.

And since I'm posting again I'll add 'Pay for What You Get' by Dave Matthews Band.

kristine 11-12-2003 12:00 PM

yay!!! I fellow-K-Kristine!! and yep...always spell out the first few letters [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Smithy 11-12-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeweller

Quote:

Originally Posted by <SPAN class=bold>kristine
</SPAN>

i would have said "high hopes" before that... i actually find that uplifting

Quite a few floydian ones get to me,
including comfortably numb, and high hopes but also goodbye blue sky and wish you were here, I know it's not a song, but the waters poetry that's spoken at the end of the wall gets me choked up as it reminds me of how I used to be

Enoch 11-12-2003 12:51 PM

Listened to Come Pick Me Up by Ryan Adams recently - it hit me right in my soul [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Petra 11-12-2003 02:15 PM

Fugitive motel and Switching off by Elbow - Beautifully moving songs!

rudy 11-13-2003 02:47 AM

A classical pick: Adagio by Albinoni. As sad as it gets, ever.

Other favorite sad songs are Red House Painters version of Silly Love Songs, Nina Simone´s Wild if the wind and Jeff Buckley´s Lover you should´ve come over.

Saddest metal song ever - Fade to black by Metallica.

walkin'onstilts 11-13-2003 10:52 AM

'no surprises' - radiohead.

Joe 11-17-2003 10:50 PM

i would have to say Sarah McLachlan - 'I Will Remember You'

gemm 11-18-2003 02:47 AM

I would have to say "exit music (for a film)" by Radiohead. It's the closing theme to Romeo+Juliet directed by Baz Luhrman. You actually watch the credits for that song... It put a greatly powerful tone to the end of the film. If you haven't seen it, do so! You either love or hate Baz Luhrman, I love.

Daniel 11-18-2003 04:09 AM

There is an acoustic version of "On your Own" by The Verve on their single "History". Its just a guitar and a piano. Its woefully depressing.

brokenheart 11-18-2003 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petra
Fugitive motel and Switching off by Elbow - Beautifully moving songs!

They are very good band, Guy Garvey love writing emotional lyric like New Born, But I think Powder Blue is the saddest song out of Elbow.

"Bring That Minutes Back, I Never Get So Close To Death, Make You So Alive"

Absolutely Touchy!

brokenheart 11-18-2003 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Building
There is an acoustic version of "On your Own" by The Verve on their single "History". Its just a guitar and a piano. Its woefully depressing.

Original version is sad, don't forget "The Drugs Don't Work" thoughEdited by: brokenheart

Vienna 11-22-2003 09:48 PM

ok well regardless of lyrics or anything, i am sat here absolutely crying my eyes out to Grace by the legend that is Jeff Buckley. if that means it's sad then yes it is, but it might have to do with the fact that someone i have worked with for 3 and a half years died this morning of a brain tumour, and the fact that that brings to the fore all the bereavement of my dad as well...............been a sh*tty day!!

oh my god the way he sings the lines in my signature.....the whole song....wow..........amazing....i really need to get some sleep [img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Mojo_Pin1980 11-22-2003 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemm
I would have to say "exit music (for a film)" by Radiohead. It's the closing theme to Romeo+Juliet directed by Baz Luhrman. You actually watch the credits for that song... It put a greatly powerful tone to the end of the film. If you haven't seen it, do so! You either love or hate Baz Luhrman, I love.

I hope you realize it's alsotrack 4 on OK Computerhttp://www.freecfm.com/d/damien/foru...ys/smiley2.gifAnywhooo... it's not a very sad song I reckon... And now we are one in everlasting peace. It's a song about escapism, which in a way means hope to me...

Elbow are a great band as well! But like Exit Music their lyrics always sound hopeful to me[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Jeff Buckley... what can I say... Last Goodbye is one of the saddest songs ever. Grace isn't.. to me that is. But I'm not afraid, afraid to die.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you really wanna hear depressing stuf... Bright Eyes is the band for you![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

And i scream, but i still don't know why i do it
Because the sound never stays it just swells and decays
So what is the point?
Why try to fight what is now so certain?
The truth is all that i am is a passing event that will be forgotten.

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Mojo_Pin1980 11-22-2003 10:24 PM

Btw... listen to the Bright Eyes song "It's Cool, We Can Still Be Friends" and you'll get my point![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]The ultimate song about heartache![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

I'm pouring some whiskey right now, I'm going to get so, so drunk
That I pass out, forget your face, by the time I wake up.

Angela 11-22-2003 10:26 PM

Big [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] to you Vienna. Sorry to hear of your loss. Be gentle with yourself.

ribbon of green 11-23-2003 02:15 AM

Saddest Songs...[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

1. The Blower's Daughter- Damien Rice

2. Nobody's Crying- Patty Griffin

3. Lover, You Should've Come Over- Jeff Buckley

4. Hallelujah- Leonard Cohen (when covered by J. Buckley)

5. This One's Gonna Bruise- Beth Orton (written by Ryan
Adams)

And pretty much the entire Ryan Adams album, "Heartbreaker"....

ribbon of green 11-23-2003 02:51 AM

Oh Lordy! How could I forget David Gray???

~Flame Turns Blue
~Coming Down
~Nightblindness

ribbon of green 11-23-2003 02:55 AM

Okay, last one and I'll shut up...

Fred Jones, Part 2- Ben Folds

What a tear-jerker!!!!!

Vienna 11-25-2003 06:22 AM

Thanks Ang!! hugs are always good!

xXx

megomoo 11-25-2003 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbon of green
Oh Lordy! How could I forget David Gray???

~Flame Turns Blue
~Coming Down
~Nightblindness

yay for david gray!!!!!

i love nightblindness but i love sail away even more

october 11-25-2003 11:52 AM

the severd garden, by jim morrison