The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OSCARS 2008 - who are you rooting for? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15438)

cille 01-23-2008 09:35 AM

OSCARS 2008 - who are you rooting for?

The Oscar Nominations came yesterday, what are your reactions, comments, who are you hoping will win?

Here are the most important nominees:

Actor in a leading role
  • George Clooney (Michael Clayton)
  • Daniel Day-Lewis (There will be blood)
  • Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd)
  • Tommy Lee Jones (In the valley of Elah)
  • Viggo Mortensen (Eastern promises) :hello2:
Actor in a supporting role:
  • Casey Affleck (The assasination of Jesse James...)
  • Javier Bardem (No country for old men) :hello2:
  • Phillip Seymor Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's war)
  • Hal Holbrook (Into the wild)
  • Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)
Actress in a leading role:
  • Cate Blanchett (Elisabeth II)
  • Julie Christie (Away from her)
  • Marion Cotillard (La vie en rose)
  • Laura Linney (The savages)
  • Ellen Page (Juno) :hello2:
Actress in a supporting role
  • Cate Blanchett (I'm not there)
  • Ruby Dee (American Gangster)
  • Saoirse Ronan (Atonement) :hello2:
  • Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone) :smiley21:
  • Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
Directing
  • The diving bell and the butterfly - Julian Schnabel
  • Juno - Jason Reitman :hello2:
  • Michael Clayton - Tony Gilroy
  • No Country for old men - Coens Bros.:hello2:
  • There will be blood - Paul Thomas Anderson
Music (song)
  • Once - "Falling Slowly" Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova :smiley32::icon_kidr:icon_pray:hello2:
  • Enchanted - "Happy Working Song" Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
  • August Rush - no song mentioned
  • Enchanted - "So Close" Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
  • Enchanted *yaaaawwwnnnn*- "That's How You Know" Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
TBC in new thread...

cille 01-23-2008 09:38 AM

Adapted screenplay
  • Atonement :hello2:
  • Away from her
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • No country for old men
  • There will be blood
Original screenplay
  • Juno :hello2:
  • Lars and the Real Girl
  • Michael Clayton
  • Ratatouille
  • The Savages
Best motion picture of the year
  • Atonement
  • Juno :smiley32:
  • Michael Clayton
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

cille 01-23-2008 10:23 AM

Personally I loved Juno, so obviously hope it'll win as much as possible, but it probably won't. Ellen Page was great in it, but Julie Christie will probably win for best leading actress. Juno may win for best original screenplay.
Supporting actress - I really don't get why Amy Ryan was nominated for this role, the movie's ok but she definately didn't excel in this part at all. Saoirse Ronan of Atonement (the girl from the first part of the movie) was indeed amazing, so she could be a good candidate. I have a feeling Cate Blanchett is going to win this prize; haven't seen I'm not there yet but from what I've seen she is certainly great in that one, like she always is. Haven't seen the Tilda Swinton film either, but she is always good too so I wouldn't cry if she won this year.
I really hope for Javier Bardem to win best supporting male, he was so ****ing scary in No Country for Old Men. I don't think Phillip Seymor Hoffman is going to win this year, even though he is always great too. Casey Affleck is rarely good, so am a little surprised to see him mentioned here, but then again I haven't seen The Assasination of Jesse James... yet. All I know is that he sucked in Gone Baby Gone; the man can hardly speak for christ's sake! It's like he's drewling words rather than actually utter them, it's very odd. Quite a heavy handicap for a post-silent movie era actor...
Actor in a leading role - well, to many unknown ones in there for me to give a fair judgement. Though I didn't particularly like Eastern promises, it had some strong acting in there, and Viggo was particularly good, so he is my favourite in this category so far.
Am yet to see Michael Clayton; judging from the many nominations I probably should. Am also yet to see Sweeney Todd; Johnny Depp is one of those ever-great actors too, so I'm sure he's good this time around as well. Tommy Lee Jones might end up with the Oscar as best leading actor because of his age and all, and of course he is usually great too.
Best song - d'oh! No competition there! Once all the way. Actually it baffles me that it didn't have any more nominations in this category instead of that enchantment one, whatever it is.
Best film of the year - So far I have seen Juno, No Country.. and Atonement. Atonement is beautifully filmed (and should probably win for best cinematography) but it also had some weak parts. No country.. was a good film for sure, but again I wasn't overwhelmed and I think The Coens can do much better. It was, however, great to see a return to form from them after a couple of crappy films from their hands; I guess that could be worth rewarding that. Like I said, Juno is my favourite here, lovely touching intelligent, well played, well everything and I love Ellen Page and Michael Cera so I will cheer for Juno. I should probably check up on Michael Clayton and There Will Be Blood before I make my final judgement though. It's gonna be very exciting!
(Even though the Oscars is a pseudo-event only made for the industry to pad eachother on the back and for designers to show off new frocks on glamourous actresses, but hey - I don't watch sports; gotta bet on something :D )

Ships_Were_Sailin 01-23-2008 11:52 AM

i dont really follow the oscars as much you..(:))..but i have a feeling that the 13 year old from attonement will win something, even though shes never really been in anything else, will probably only get it because it will make some headlines if they give the oscar to a 13 year old.

other than that i think once should win anything its in, and jonny depp, i like jonny depp.

:D

cille 01-23-2008 12:44 PM

^mind you, that 13 year old girl IS amazing in the film too!
Oh yea, Johnny depp :-PPPP *slurpyslurpy yum yum yum*

borneoman 01-23-2008 09:58 PM

I really hope that Julie Christie wins. Away From Her is my fav movie of 2007, should have had more nominations, and her performance is amazing!!!! But I haven't seen Juno so I cannot really judge...

I also hope Barden wins!!!!!

and Falling Slowly too!!!!!!! Surprised Eddie Vedder hasn't been considered...

dawno 01-24-2008 12:10 AM

lead actor: daniel day lewis... he's truly amazing...

supporting actor: psh is one of my very fave actors, he's never given a sub-par performance, but i suspect javier bardem will win

lead actress: i've not yet seen any of the films for which the actors are nominated! :smiley24: but i'm pulling for julie christie since dr. zhivago is one of my all time fave films!

supporting actress: cate blanchett for her portrayal of bob dylan... besides, i believe that historically, if a woman is nominated for both lead and supporting, they more often win the supporting award.

direction: i love PTA but i believe that the coen's will win

song: falling slowly is a shoe in to win... the only real competition would have been eddie vedder's 'guaranteed' (which is a great song) but the snooty academy snubbed him.

srahman24 01-24-2008 06:29 AM

Falling Slowly all the way! I hope they get to perform it live for everyone.

I'd love to see Atonement win for at least Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Movie.

Though, I can't believe James McAvoy wasn't nominated, yet again. One of these days, they'll get to him.

.em. 01-26-2008 09:08 PM

I don't really care that much for the Oscars, but I am rooting for Juno and Ellen Page.

cille 01-26-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille
Casey Affleck is rarely good, so am a little surprised to see him mentioned here, but then again I haven't seen The Assasination of Jesse James... yet. All I know is that he sucked in Gone Baby Gone; the man can hardly speak for christ's sake! It's like he's drewling words rather than actually utter them, it's very odd. Quite a heavy handicap for a post-silent movie era actor...

After having seen 'The assasination..' I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat my words about Casey Affleck - he's simply brilliant in this role! Apparently he just needs a real director to work with, not his bleedin brother.. :D
Oh and the move 'The assasination..' itself is really brilliant too, beautiful and interesting and with great acting all round - even Brad Pitt is showing real gravitas in the portrayal of Jesse James - he has really become a lot better lately, I was so baffled at him actually being good in Babel as well. Maybe it's his thing, being less pretty boy and more, well, good...

Rai 01-27-2008 01:46 AM

^Brad Pitt actually wasn't really awful until just very recently and wasn't that much of a pretty boy most of the time either. Think of Fight Club, or Snatch, or Seven.

Five Leaves Left 01-27-2008 03:36 AM

There Will Be Blood, Once, Atonement, and I'm Not There were my favorite movies of the year so it'll be cool if they win. If they don't than I'll hafta check out some of the ones that do win. Still have to see No Country for Old Men and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which are supposed to be amazing.

Rue Saint-Denis 01-27-2008 07:04 AM

I'm going for There Will Be Blood as well. Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Anderson definitely deserve the oscar.

And of course, Once.

cille 01-27-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai
^Brad Pitt actually wasn't really awful until just very recently and wasn't that much of a pretty boy most of the time either. Think of Fight Club, or Snatch, or Seven.

I dunno, maybe I'm being unfair to him; maybe he just needs really specific direction or something. I sort of hated him in Twelve monkeys, even though I loved the move - I just felt he overplayed and did some bad choices, but maybe I should blame Terry Gilliam for that even if I'd rather not.. Fight club and Se7en...yeah he was alright I guess; Snatch - nah, felt he overplayed there as well. Maybe he is just better when not asked to play 'big', I dunno.

Hendrik 01-27-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

I sort of hated him in Twelve monkeys, even though I loved the move - I just felt he overplayed and did some bad choices, but maybe I should blame Terry Gilliam for that even if I'd rather not.

Cwwwaaayyzy films deserve cwwwaaayyyzy acting. :smiley29:;)

Undocorkscrew 01-27-2008 08:39 PM

There Will Be Blood
Daniel-Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Julian Schnabel - Diving Bell and The Butterfly
Marion Cotillard - La Mome
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Juno - Best Original Screenplay
The Diving Bell and The Butterfly - Best Adapted Screenplay

Those are my picks from the nominees. However, this is what's more than likely to win:

Best Picture - No Country For Old Men
Best Director - Coen Brothers
Best Actor - Daniel-Day Lewis(LOCK)
Best Actress - Julie Christie
Best Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem
Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett(However, Ryan could upset)
Best Original Screenplay - Juno
Best Adapted Screenplay - No Country For Old Men

I'd seriously bet lots of money on those predictions.

mariaoran 02-06-2008 01:56 AM

The oscars' Luncheon was yesterday!!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Here's eeeeverybody ...
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...eon-2008-1.jpg
And here are the cutest most talented duo!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ... and Cute Javier Bardem :love7:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/untitled.jpg

gomezxico 02-06-2008 04:23 AM

^Hansard's looking a LOT young in that picture :tshirt:

and as for Ellen Page, don't get me wrong, I liked (maybe loved) Juno, but man, when I see interviews with her, I think, "Dude, isn't Juno over yet?!" She didn't seem to be doing too much acting, it was more like she was being herself, her very cool self, nonetheless. But, you can't win an Oscar for playing yourself...........

srahman24 02-06-2008 04:40 AM

That's amazing! I can't even imagine how surreal that must feel for them..

It's a shame James McAvoy wasn't nominated :(

cille 02-06-2008 08:13 AM

^^^ Haha, I don't think I'll ever be able to put the words "Javier Bardem" and "cute" in the same sentence after having seen him in "No Country for Old Men", but I'm so glad he doesn't look as creepy in real life (and got rid of that bob hairdo)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gomezxico
you can't win an Oscar for playing yourself...........

Hm, why not? *ehem* Jack Nicholson *ehem* ;)

borneoman 02-06-2008 09:16 AM

The other day I re-watched Away From Her and found it incredible, really moving... and Julie Christie's performance is amazing... at the end of the movie my sister asked me if the actress had Alzheimer in real life lol, which really shows that the performance is good ;)

mariaoran 02-06-2008 03:48 PM

^^Haha Cille its true, he doesn't look good in any of his movie roles... but he does in real life! :P

Damn it that reminds me, i haven't seen no country for old men yet!!!!! grrrrr

viv 02-06-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Hm, why not? *ehem* Jack Nicholson *ehem* ;)

george clooney plays himself in EVERY movie, and this will be his second nomination. he won't win it this year though.

borneoman 02-06-2008 05:19 PM

and Maria go and see No Country for Old Men!!!! Everything happens in 'your' Texas!!!! ;)

dawno 02-15-2008 01:12 PM

glen & marketa will perform at oscars

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2562

relevant bit below:

Performers of the nominated songs will include Amy Adams ("Happy Working Song"), Kristin Chenoweth and Marlon Saunders ("That's How You Know") and Jon McLaughlin ("So Close"). These three songs are all from "Enchanted," with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will perform their "Falling Slowly" (from "Once"), and Jamia Simone Nash will perform "Raise It Up" with the Impact Repertory Theater of Harlem (from "August Rush," music and lyrics by Jamal Joseph, Charles Mack and Tevin Thomas).

mariaoran 02-24-2008 11:06 PM

Red carpet coverage just started... I really want to see our two lovelies going throught the glitzy glamorous carpet... :)

So how does this work? de we know how long into the show will the performance be???

srahman24 02-24-2008 11:24 PM

OMG THEY THERE THEY ARE!

Marketa's in a pretty black dress! With what may have been a red wrap? I don't know. The camera just flashed to them and then cut to commercial.

Also, I'm pretty sure the award for Best Song comes late in the show, since all 5 songs will have to be performed. The order of the performances are random, as far as I know...

mariaoran 02-24-2008 11:44 PM

I see Heidi Klum and George Clooney but no Glen or Mar!!!!! I'm going to be really angry if Stupid E! doesn't put them on!!!!!!!!! :(

Beevers_uk 02-24-2008 11:47 PM

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/untitled.jpg[/quote]

Glen looks like a little kid... Awwww

Does anyone know when the Oscars are on?

srahman24 02-24-2008 11:49 PM

Glen has his guitar case with him! Ha... brilliant.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...S/79967877.jpg http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...S/79968040.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...S/79967869.jpg

Oscars start at 8pm (EST)!