The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Another New Song (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10629)

Closing_Doors 05-20-2006 01:42 PM

Another New Song

There was an article in the Independent yesterday. I don't have time to type it up but here's the important parts...

Apparently Damien was asked by some American producer named Amy Berg to do some music for a documentary she's doing on Fr Oliver O'Grady, who sexually abused a load of kids back in the 70s and 80s. Anyway Damien's written a song about the whole thing which will be in the film and which will be on the new album too. :smiley20:

Bumpman 05-20-2006 01:55 PM

Sounds like a barrel o' laughs... where did your ears listen to this ian? Actually is that the same Amy Berg who directed Kenan & Kel?

Maybe we really are seeing a bold new musical direction from Damien.

PenguinBoy 05-20-2006 03:09 PM

damien rice feat. coolio :D:D:D:D sweeeeet

Banjaxed 05-20-2006 09:07 PM

sounds like another "baby sister".

Mankman 05-20-2006 10:09 PM

I like how damien is all cool with doing songs for films etc. It would be very easy to say "no way man, im not gona sellout", but clearly thats BS. So yeh, cant wait.

Ranting Thespian 05-21-2006 03:14 AM

I don't think doing a song for a movie would be in any way selling out, as long as you aren't doing it for the money. If you are doing it because you like it or want to contribute, or such, I think that's a great thing to do for another form of art.

I am just giving my two cents here, that's all.

aussiekid 05-21-2006 09:07 AM

i concur.

thirsty 05-21-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mankman
I like how damien is all cool with doing songs for films etc. It would be very easy to say "no way man, im not gona sellout", but clearly thats BS. So yeh, cant wait.

we should try and forget then the time when you could'nt switch the tv on for hearing damien on one of a dozen tv shows....

Bumpman 05-21-2006 07:13 PM

I've never heard a comment like that before... it really came out of the blue.

lgallagher 05-22-2006 04:51 PM

selling out?

as a musician myself, i've always struggled with the question of "selling out." What I've come up with is this; if you view a musician's music as simply his trade, then he/she has every right to sell it to make a living. Especially since when a musician starts out, you barely get paid for gigs. When you have the opportunity to 'sell out' and make a few bucks off your music, more power to you. I've also found out that publishing rights (music in movies, tv shows, video games, etc.) is a very lucrative business. you can make a lot of money by simply allowing someone to use your song.

however, i do have a problem with someone changing their music or bending to the will of a record label in hopes that this 'new sound' will sell more records. Damien, as we all know, has never changed his music or bent to the will of anyone. He is making music his way and making money with that music. more power to him.

obviously, it's been on my mind..haha.
thoughts?

liam.

Closing_Doors 05-22-2006 06:31 PM

I think people can be far too precious about this kind of thing...sure if its some big evil corporation that wants to use your song, fair enough don't let them. But I don't see the problem with someone's music being on a TV show/in a film (eg Closer, ER, Lost have featured Damien's music) or even in an ad if you agree with what the ads for etc. (another example: I was reading an interview with the Heartbeats guy whos name I can't spell and he was saying he allowed the song to be in the Sony ad cause Sony was a carbon-neutral company (or at least claim to be :smiley2: ))

Bumpman 05-22-2006 06:31 PM

I would generally be of the opinion that the use of music in film/tv is like incorporating someone's art to serve another piece of art. As long as it's done well it's definitely a good thing. Of course that would be the key thing for most people wouldn't it? perception of quality...

That being that it's not good to licence your song for an episode of eastenders, but it is a great idea to licence your song so that ryan adams can cover it.

The bottom line though is that fans are critical of musicians and artists for "selling out", unfortunately that's what most of us are... fans. People who are unassociated with the artist. I'm often inclined to tell most people to shove their opinions and pet theories up their arse.

People feel comfortable attacking and tearing down the kind of work that they couldn't create in a lifetime... Observers, one and all.

Miss Pink 05-22-2006 06:52 PM

i think it might be a mixture of me my yoke and i and baby sister....im just guessing

Windgirl 05-23-2006 12:38 AM

ditto that

SisterMidnight 05-23-2006 06:16 AM

you know this film doesn't sound like some commercial piece of fluff, it sounds very political and deals with a highly controversial issue.. if damien writes music for it he's helping bring awareness to that issue so his music in this context is a social statement, and must reflect his own views or he wouldn't lend his support

he's written other songs and been involved in other films that shed light on child abuse.. he visited children in an orphanage in burma and is involved with warchild, so it's pretty safe to say one of damien's values is protecting and caring for children.. how can you fault the guy for that? how can that possibly be perceived as selling out??

alumni 08-23-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
There was an article in the Independent yesterday. I don't have time to type it up but here's the important parts...

Apparently Damien was asked by some American producer named Amy Berg to do some music for a documentary she's doing on Fr Oliver O'Grady, who sexually abused a load of kids back in the 70s and 80s. Anyway Damien's written a song about the whole thing which will be in the film and which will be on the new album too. :smiley20:

are you sure this isnt actually baby sister?

Closing_Doors 08-23-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alumni
are you sure this isnt actually baby sister?

Well they didn't name the song but yeah I'm pretty sure. Although they were both written for films and the story behind Baby Sister is equally horrific I don't think it's the same song.

Spamlet 08-23-2006 09:00 PM

Forget about "Baby Sister" for a moment. What if it's one of Juniper's most powerful and chilling songs, "Cutting the Rose"?

That one was very specifically about abuse of the young by religious figures both metaphorically and physically.

There are a few lines which appear to indicate, among other possibilities, abortion: a practice the church itself doesn't publicly endorse (which then implies the cover-up of rape a' la "Agnes of God").

Also, Damo appears to realize that 'Cutting the Rose' is a term for female genital mutilation or female circumcision: the removal of the clitoris. A scarily common worldwide practice (estimated at 135 million) which was documented in the film "Moolaade" Lyrics below- complete w/ clever riff on famous Shakespeare quote in chorus:

Cutting the Rose

Well hello, contestant number one!
What's your name and where'd you come from?
Did they cut you while they held you down?
That's the trouble with religion.

Never question: there's never a need!
If you think too much they'll put you on your knees
I'm a lapsed Catholic by demographic
At least no one's ever tried to cut off my prick!

Cutting the rose (2x)
Doesn't smell as sweet by any other name
Cutting the rose (2x)
Doesn't smell as sweet by any other...

Well hello, contestant number two!
What's your game: what's in it for you?
Never flowers is never to seed.
Blow the dandelion: always spread out weeds.

Push the butterfly back to cocoon
Hide in the blood stained corner of the womb
Burst the stitches in the curtain of night
Sew and patch her: it looks like the light!

Cutting the rose (2x)
Doesn't smell as sweet by any other name
Cutting the rose (2x)
Doesn't smell as sweet by any other...

Name.

So perhaps he's pulling another 'Cross-eyed Bear' "it's a new song because it has a new title" stunt.