The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Emmett Tinley, 12 June - Paradiso (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3972)

cille 05-23-2004 01:23 PM

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]wow!

beautiful music!!!!!!!!

i just listened to the hurts to loose you from other voices with glen whatshisname

woah! lovely tune. lovely bright male voice, that emmett guy has. a lot of lovely intensity in the whole atmos of the song... now, why didn't i know this beautiful music???

thanks a lot, marloes! i am very grateful you told me about this fab guy. think i just have to hear more with that guy![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

marloes 05-23-2004 01:33 PM

I'm glad you like it! When he was still playing with a band he used to play with danish musicians, cause If I remember correctly he stayed in Copenhagen years ago.

cille 05-23-2004 01:33 PM

oh...

*kicks herself over the leg*

aouw! why didn't i know him by then???[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

cille 05-23-2004 01:35 PM

do you know which musicians?

marloes 05-23-2004 01:36 PM

stop kicking yourself, Cille [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] '
when/if his new album will be released I'm sure he'll start touring again and come to beautiful Denmark!

cille 05-23-2004 01:37 PM

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]i certainly hope so! i'll def. do my best to make the local venues book him

marloes 05-23-2004 01:40 PM

And how do you plan to do that? btw check out the song Polichinell next, it's my second fave!

marloes 05-23-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercille
do you know which musicians?

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] no sorry, Lars, Lars and Lars as far as I'm concerned [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] My best friend, who is danish but living here, talked to them for a bit, I sort of remember Emmett saying they were originally jazz musicians, but am not sure.

cille 05-23-2004 01:46 PM

I plan to send emails to all the proper venues here (which means about 2-3 places[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]), trying to persuade them to book the dear emmett. don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try - maybe they'll end up booking him just to shut me up...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]lars, lars and larssounds like danish name(s) (some ppl also says it's really the sound of a car door slamming[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]- take that, *lars!* von trier![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img])

oh wow, jazz musicians... i might know them, then...

marloes 05-23-2004 01:50 PM

The Lars thing is actually a quote from Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert. Guy Pierce's character talks about how he hooked up with these sailors, who were Danish, but now I think of it they could have been Swedish also, and he calls them Lars, Lars and Lars. I love that movie, it's so f**king funny!

cille 05-23-2004 01:53 PM

yeah, it's great!

i actually know a girl who met one of the actors in that one when she traveled in australia. she actually lives in amsterdam now - how's that for a small world![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

marloes 05-23-2004 01:58 PM

It's like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon in here [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Angela 05-23-2004 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien addict
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] A friend of mine works in a bookstore, and she was playing Polichinelle there. ...[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Awwww..... [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]One fellow Emmett fans met him a few times at art festivals and stuff and always end up having a few drinks together. Your friend missed out! [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Angela 05-23-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

i just listened to the hurts to loose you from other voices with glen whatshisname

[img]smileys/smiley23.gif[/img]Hansard.

Quote:

woah! lovely tune. lovely bright male voice, that emmett guy has. a lot of lovely intensity in the whole atmos of the song... now, why didn't i know this beautiful music???

Because you never were curious enough to ask who my avatar is. That's why! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Oh, and btw, there's a video of a Prayer Boat (name of band) gig at fabchannel.com. He's playing with the Danish (+ one Swedish) musicians there.Edited by: Angela

sezmo 05-23-2004 05:13 PM

That site never works for me. Never never never. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]Well, okay, once but only for 5 minutes. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Okay so maybe it is possible to just bump into him. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]I did see the whole band Suede eating in McDonalds in Amsterdam a few years ago. Too shy at the time to go and say hello though. [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

marloes 05-23-2004 05:25 PM

About fabchannel: have you tried just playing the video in the standard player in stead of the interactive player, that works for me. If I try to use the interactive player my internet connection gets shut down, is that what happens to you as well?

sezmo 05-23-2004 05:35 PM

I've tried standard player, interactive player, logging in, logging out, switching off my firewall, etc., etc. and nothing works. It simply does nothing at all - I click on the gig I want and the picture and links come up on the left. And then click on webplayer or fabplayer and it just does nothing at all - doesn't open a new window or anything.

I've heard other people have had problems with it too - getting only pictures without sound, etc., but I just get nothing at all. It worked once and I got to see part of the Prayer Boat gig [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]but didn't have time to watch it all... And that one time it worked I didn't do anything different - just clicked on whatever player, same as usual. I just keep trying it again from time to time hoping that one day it'll work again.

sezmo 05-23-2004 05:39 PM

Now isn't that bizarre - just reset something in my firewall and gave it another go for the hell of it and hey presto it works. Watching Emmet right now. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Now why didn't that work the last 10 times I tried it? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Angela 05-23-2004 06:15 PM

That's like my ,mailbox that I tried 10 minutes to open in vain yesterday. A few hours later I tried again and it just worked [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Btyw, if you are on broadband you are being severd the hi-rez stereo file that cuts out at 70 minutes. If you want to see the rest of the gig (another 20 minutes, I think) you need to watch the low-rez mono version.[img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]

Enjoy [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

sezmo 05-27-2004 08:43 AM

Just found out that Emmet Tinley's playing a free Cafe Concert in Deventer on Wednesday, 2 June.

Time: 21.30

Details: http://80.89.232.168/site/agendadetail.m?id=6484

Edited by: sezmo

cille 05-27-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela
Quote:

Because you never were curious enough to ask who my avatar is. That's why! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]actually i have a faint memory i actually did ask you, or at least that someone else did and i read your reply, i was just too ignorant to check out his work [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]but i was lost, and now i'm found, hallelujah!

cille 05-27-2004 11:20 AM

hey, great link, the fabchannel one - thanks! :-)

there's a great ani difranco concert there too, that i'm watching right now - woah, that girl rrrrocks![img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

marloes 05-27-2004 12:42 PM

Fabchannel rocks [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] when it's working at least, right Sezmo [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Right now I'm listening to /watching Solomon Burke, if you like old soul music it's great [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

sezmo 05-27-2004 12:45 PM

Right! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Did you see my message on the previous page about the free gig? Probably too far away for me to go to on a weeknight though.

Mojo_Pin1980 05-27-2004 12:50 PM

I'll be there on the 12th as well. And yeah... I am having a hard time finding Polichinelle (you can mention my name Angela[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]).

marloes 05-27-2004 12:51 PM

yeah I noticed it, but Deventer is a bit out of the way for me too [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] It's nice that it's free, but I can see him in Amsterdam just 10 days later for not that much money either, so.. no I'm not going. I still have to buy my ticket though for paradiso, can't seem to get around to doing it, but it has never before been completely sold out so I should be fine.

marloes 05-27-2004 12:54 PM

Mojo, did you try Brutus/concerto/get records? Brutus definitely had it, so that's worth a try!Edited by: damien addict

Mojo_Pin1980 05-27-2004 12:56 PM

Magna Plaza, right? I'll have to check it out... thanks!

marloes 05-27-2004 01:02 PM

I hope they still have it, otherwise let me know then I can make a copy for you, that saves Angela some work and postage!
btw, I don't think i would ever say this about him, but you're Jeff ave scares me [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Mojo_Pin1980 05-27-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien addict
I hope they still have it, otherwise let me know then I can make a copy for you, that saves Angela some work and postage!

She already sent it![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]Thanks anyway!

Quote:

btw, I don't think i would ever say this about him, but you're Jeff ave scares me [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Seriously.. my av rules![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]ooh that was SOOOOO REEEAAAAALLL!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]