The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Angus and Julia Stone - Los Angeles (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16524)

FightthegdFight 10-06-2010 03:13 PM

Angus and Julia Stone - Los Angeles

A friend that was at the Angus and Julia Stone show at the El Rey (Los Angeles, CA) reports that Damo joined the band on stage last night.

I don't have further details, but I thought I would refresh the news on Mr. Rice's recent performance.

verenita 10-06-2010 03:19 PM

thank you very much. searching has to be started now :D

borneoman 10-06-2010 04:05 PM

oh great!! thanks for sharing!!! wonder if he's there recording or he's officially a groupie for (Angus and) Julia Stone :p

borneoman 10-06-2010 04:22 PM

someone posted this on the Angus & Julia Stone FB:

Shaban Ayala-Torres
Your show tonight was absolutely incredible!!!!! And meeting Damien Rice after made my life! Please never stop making the world a better place one note at a time!

rachlanee 10-07-2010 04:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9xmWFu8Bao
Did he get taller?

verenita 10-07-2010 04:50 AM

^ lol... no, he didnīt. the girld is even smaller :D

thanks for the link. i love this version... i was pictering in my mind, while i was listening, that is a perfect song for a wedding party. you know when the brand new wife and husband come to the party... anyway, i was thinking of mixing the first part of the acustinc version (julia has a lovely voice indeed) with the original version... and then, letīs dance everybody :D

oh, Lord. it seems i need to rest... sorry guys. *night night*

borneoman 10-07-2010 07:03 AM

wow, amazing video!! thanks for posting!!

borneoman 10-07-2010 07:11 AM

I asked a guy who posted about meeting Damien and he said he wasn't there recording, just visiting friends

borneoman 10-10-2010 05:17 PM

couple nice pics from Flicker. Love the first one with Damien and Julia singing. Damien was dressed very hippy, thus perfectly matching Julia :) not sure about Damien's hat, I'd say LA is not that cold in early October :p

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...1ed9dee8_b.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...d94e05f6_b.jpg

Gatsby 10-28-2010 11:09 PM

That video is very cringey, do you not think?
Never liked Julia's cover of it, but the fact he comes out and sings his part with her at every opportunity... its kinda like he's whipped into doing it for her... *does whiplash sound*

For shame Damien.. :smiley9::smiley4:

Joyful 10-28-2010 11:40 PM

^ I gotta say I kind of agree. It was just ok and different the first time that I saw it. Now it's just kind of cringe-worthy.

verenita 10-29-2010 03:34 PM

^^ too much of slang there for me, simon :D iīm not sure if i get what you mean but i think i have an idea, lol.
anyway... i like her covering the song and i enjoy seeing both of them singing it together :D

rachlanee 10-29-2010 04:50 PM

I wouldn't mind these random appearances if they had actually co-written a song together, but I don't like that song. As far as that video being cringe worthy.... I was taught that if I didn't have anything nice to say I shouldn't say anything at all!

Gatsby 10-29-2010 06:52 PM

But then wouldnt you be a person with only good opinions? :icon_thum

rachlanee 10-29-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 362726)

I don't really have anything bad to say, I was just kidding. It's just such a poor choice of a song. If they were going for a musical number, it should have been one from Cats, because they remind me of a couple of kittens on stage together. Cute, furry, and playful. I thought that she was going to lick his coat while he was singing. (I'm only joking, they are purrfect together.) She kind of sounded like a cat (and I mean nothing bad by that) at the flowerpot gig where she did an amazing job on Volcano...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxO34M4yeAM
I hope that they will purrform more of his songs in the future. I know they were Lisa's songs, but she has moved on and I think Julia could take these songs to a whole new level. 'Cold Water' maybe, except that cats generally hate water.:p

Joyful 10-29-2010 09:10 PM

^:smiley36::D

eagle88 10-30-2010 06:41 AM

Beck did this a few years ago with Beth Orton at a KCRW thing. It was much better than this. Then again, Beth Orton has a better voice than Julia Stone.

Amie R. 10-30-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 362726)

I totally agree we have to say what we think! I don't like all the fake kindness and politeness all the time...jezz no one is perfect and we don''t have to love and approve all Damien does or think it was great and amazing when it was just an appearance at his friend's concert. It is cute everything he does though ;-)

It was cringe worthy to watch him doing it again...But as I will be seeing them in Dublin I hope he can make it cringe worthy again hehehe
Well, I don't think he will do it a third time...

verenita 10-30-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amie R. (Post 362747)
I hope he can make it cringe worthy again hehehe

why not? it will be a differente audience, wonīt it? so, maybe you will be lucky enough ;)

regarding the el rey version, i think itīs better than the first one, so iīm glad they did it again :)

rachlanee 10-31-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amie R. (Post 362747)
I totally agree we have to say what we think! I don't like all the fake kindness and politeness all the time...jezz no one is perfect and we don''t have to love and approve all Damien does or think it was great and amazing when it was just an appearance at his friend's concert. It is cute everything he does though ;-)

It was cringe worthy to watch him doing it again...But as I will be seeing them in Dublin I hope he can make it cringe worthy again hehehe

I wasn't trying to be fake, just facetious! I think they probably would perform the song a 3rd time, they seem to be really into it, so you might get lucky to see that in Dublin! I don't understand why they don't co-write a song to perform together instead of that cover.

Amie R. 10-31-2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachlanee (Post 362752)
I wasn't trying to be fake, just facetious! I think they probably would perform the song a 3rd time, they seem to be really into it, so you might get lucky to see that in Dublin! I don't understand why they don't co-write a song to perform together instead of that cover.

Im sorry! I didn't mean u are fake,not at all...Im sorry...I meant in general people try to not say what they think to be polite and sometimes it is not the best ;-)
Well hope I get lucky then!

rachlanee 10-31-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amie R. (Post 362754)
Im sorry! I didn't mean u are fake,not at all...Im sorry...I meant in general people try to not say what they think to be polite and sometimes it is not the best ;-)
Well hope I get lucky then!

I didn't think you meant that! All is good! I know what you mean about being polite and not meaning it, I am from the south and that's how most people are a lot of the time, some people will never tell you what they really think until you hear it from someone else. Good luck going to see them in Dublin. When is that show?

Amie R. 10-31-2010 02:30 PM

I have heard of many people to not say anything if I don't have a nice thing to say. I've become much better trying to shut up,but there are things that we have to say! The concert will be at Tripod on december 6th ;-)

borneoman 11-01-2010 04:58 PM

I actually liked that cover :) but I personally do like the original... and I think they've already performed it 3 times, Latitude, the Mumford & Sons thing and this one...

but I really liked it, nothing cringe-worthy about it :)

and Karla, I think that if you go to the A&J gig in Dublin, you have 99.9% chances to get this cover too :)

Amie R. 11-01-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 362781)
I actually liked that cover :) but I personally do like the original... and I think they've already performed it 3 times, Latitude, the Mumford & Sons thing and this one...

but I really liked it, nothing cringe-worthy about it :)

and Karla, I think that if you go to the A&J gig in Dublin, you have 99.9% chances to get this cover too :)

I didn't really mean it was cringe worthy,I'm mostly kidding. I really love A&J version and Damien joining it just makes it more cute ;-) I hope I get lucky in Dublin coz that will be my winter vacation !!!

borneoman 11-01-2010 05:42 PM

I'm seeing Angus & Julia in Paris in Nov so I hope they dragged Damien there too, since he's like his groupie he might oblige if they (Julia) insist :) ;)

Amie R. 11-01-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 362783)
I'm seeing Angus & Julia in Paris in Nov so I hope they dragged Damien there too, since he's like his groupie he might oblige if they (Julia) insist :) ;)

I hope he will do Paris and Dublin then ;-)

dboyd 11-02-2010 03:40 AM

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! I want to see angus and julia so baddd!! and to have damo show up would be unbelievable! I hope he shows up at the frames gig in seattle at the end of the month! That would rock! Even tho it was a bit different I loved it. Sound wasn't great but i don't care i loved it. I'm shocked really... This makes me miss damo. I need to listen to some damien rice now...

borneoman 11-30-2010 02:59 PM

finally went to see Angus & Julia this Sunday!!!!! She did the Grease cover but Damien-less :( he wasn't there... but we got a brand new Julia song, which, imho, is all about Damien :p ;) wait and see :)

verenita 11-30-2010 04:30 PM

lol, marti... we wait and see.

is that hard that a woman and man can be only friends?... i wonder...