The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sweet Home Chicago (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17418)

borneoman 11-15-2014 07:27 AM

SoChildish, the one after AB is the newie he did in London, Truth is not Enough could be the title... nice heīs playing it regularly now :D

the one after Amie is Sex Change, he does it like that every now and then

Toffee Pop soundchecked... but Bottom Shelf played? Thatīs crazy!!

pity he sound checked It Takes a Lot but didnīt play it :( but I guess itīs coming soon too

borneoman 11-15-2014 07:39 AM

but the new song was only a snippet or the full thing?

eva_arg 11-15-2014 10:07 AM

gosh I haven't listened to Bottom Shelf in ages :D
thanks for the pics/audio/video/reviews as always

Ka8 11-15-2014 11:03 AM

Bottom Shelf?! OMG! I can't believe it! :hello2:

borneoman 11-15-2014 11:22 AM

must been a while since heīs done Bottom Shelf? Think I heard it during the 9 tour but cannot remember where! Same for Toffee Pop...

itīs on YT

SilentNight 11-15-2014 11:42 AM

thanks Marti for the link:). first time i am hearing this song, thanks for putting up on YT.

dawno 11-15-2014 12:01 PM

Great pix sochildish, and very happy for you mandarific! Glad everyone had such a great time!

mandarific 11-15-2014 01:50 PM

Bottom Shelf I also hadn't heard in AGES. Was not expecting it at all, most of the songs I love I cheered at the beginning with everyone else, that one I just like gasped and went omg!

Trusty and True vid is uploaded! Quality seems okay. Sorry for any noise from moving my phone around, turns out holding it up for ten minutes while trying to enjoy the song kind of sucks!

verenita 11-15-2014 01:54 PM

thanks for sharing! very happy for you all :)

those old songs... priceless! love toffee pop...

verenita 11-15-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shillelagh (Post 379120)
Just picked up the tickets. Damo was doing sound check I got to hear takes a lot to know a man, the box, toffee pop, elephant and volcano.

what a compensation! more than diserved :)

soChildish 11-15-2014 05:20 PM

Some more notes off the top of my head; I dont listen to boots often so some of this might be 'standard'

The Professor/Delicate/9 Crimes
--These three performances were insane. Such intensity and he was really singing the heck out of all of them. He thanked the audience for 'coming back' and mentioned that a friend asked about the Chicago cold weather and he told them he was just happy to be 'well'

My Favourite Faded Fantasy
--He sang about 2/3's of it in his normal register before flipping into his falsetto which made the song a lot more interesting and powerful. The ending with the lighting and samples were crazy.

Coconut Skins
--He talked about how this song was about slowing down from the craziness of life.

Accidental Babies / Truth Is Not Enough
--This was a request from someone in the audience. (Someone also yelled out Prague). I do enjoy Accidental Babies a lot, but in a live setting, it gets to be really long and would have preferred Prague, haha. I didn't recognize the outro song, but it was pretty short, maybe just 20 seconds or so.

Amie / Sex Change
--Before he started Amie, he mumbled something like "yeah I guess I need to do something from 'O'" and someone yelled "Cannonball" and he sort of rolled his eyes and was like "yeah, that one" haha. I didn't recognize Sex Change either, but it was a pretty intense performance. He sang into his the sound hole of his guitar and as he sang it, he more and more hunched over and lower to the ground.

I Remember
--One of my top 3 favorites. Sorta feel like it got the biggest cheers of the night, but I might just be projecting, haha.

Volcano
--He got the audience split up and into it and was a great way to end the main set.

Trusty & True
--Sorta thought he was gonna end with Blowers Daughter/Toffee Pop. So knowing that T&T was the last song and realizing what song it was, sorta bummed me out for a second because I am really into Toffee Pop right now. But of course by the middle of this performance he sucked me back in and got the audience singing again. Very cool to see him command the crowd and it did feel like the "bonfire" he talked about before this song.

Amazing show. Can't wait to see him again. Glad that the audience was a little better about the flash photos and overall, pretty quiet and respectful.

mandarific 11-15-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soChildish (Post 379177)
Accidental Babies / Truth Is Not Enough
--This was a request from someone in the audience. (Someone also yelled out Prague). I do enjoy Accidental Babies a lot, but in a live setting, it gets to be really long and would have preferred Prague, haha. I didn't recognize the outro song, but it was pretty short, maybe just 20 seconds or so.

There's a few live recordings of accidental babies on the piano that get to be like ten minutes long and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I was a little surprised he played this on the guitar in the first place, but I loved hearing it. It's one of those songs that's a favorite of mine but I never really remember it until it comes up?

EDIT while I'm here and before I forget to mention it:

Toward the beginning of the show I commented to my boyfriend that I really really wanted to hear Woman Like a Man -- I know he plays that one a lot but it's a favorite of mine and I really wanted to hear it live and in person. When he did play it I was absolutely blown away. Everything I could have hoped for. :)

madhat181 11-15-2014 07:26 PM

How long did you guys have to wait after the show?

mandarific 11-15-2014 07:30 PM

I want to say about 30 minutes? The show ended right around 10 and we waited awhile, then talked awhile, and still made it back to our car before the parking ran out at 11. ;)

soChildish 11-15-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandarific (Post 379179)
There's a few live recordings of accidental babies on the piano that get to be like ten minutes long and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I was a little surprised he played this on the guitar in the first place, but I loved hearing it. It's one of those songs that's a favorite of mine but I never really remember it until it comes up?

No it's definitely a favorite of mine too, don't get me wrong. I dont think I really even enjoyed it that much UNTIL I learned how to play it on the piano. But with that said, there is something about it live that doesnt particularly grip me. I think maybe it's because the way it's written, the song's tempo is so loose and changes depending on how you come in and out of the melody line which makes it really fun to play, but for listening, it's sort of like you're always early/late to the next line.

In truth, he played my top 5 favorite songs off "9" which is really cool.

schuylerjoy 11-16-2014 12:00 AM

Hi all...I got a lot of video last night, if you are interested.

It's not the best, because I was up in the balcony, but not the worst and the sound is not bad.

I also had a few battery issues in the middle so missed some I would have liked.

This playlist has the Oct/Nov shows combined.

I have to say I loved Colour Me In... I love it when there's a song on an album that really comes alive when I see it live. I don't know what it was about it, but it sucked me in!

Also, it was lovely chatting with him for a few minutes after. He looked really good and just sort of peaceful, I thought.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...qXXE52tEObsHat

damien lisa 11-16-2014 06:46 AM

longest "tite" of "De la petite". About 30s, other time he did is about 20-24s

borneoman 11-16-2014 11:51 AM

Accidental Babies/Truth is Not Enough

the latter sounds a bit off key in comparison with the London version

SilentNight 11-16-2014 12:41 PM

thanks! this version makes me feel he is playing piano on his guitar, beautifully. such a painful song, love it being blended into the new song.

Chrysler 11-16-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schuylerjoy (Post 379189)

It's not the best, because I was up in the balcony, but not the worst and the sound is not bad.

I also had a few battery issues in the middle so missed some I would have liked.

I have to say I loved Colour Me In... I love it when there's a song on an album that really comes alive when I see it live. I don't know what it was about it, but it sucked me in!

Also, it was lovely chatting with him for a few minutes after. He looked really good and just sort of peaceful, I thought.

Enjoy!

Thanks! :)

eva_arg 11-16-2014 02:53 PM

thanks schuylerjoy! I loved that version of Accidental Babies.

my god this T&T...

RuleNo2 11-17-2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schuylerjoy (Post 379189)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the videos. You look reaaaalllly close to me in Section 8.

mandarific 11-17-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuleNo2 (Post 379264)
Thanks for the videos. You look reaaaalllly close to me in Section 8.

Were we all three in section 8?? My boyfriend and I were in D1/D2.

schuylerjoy 11-17-2014 02:53 PM

Ha ha, I was at D8! I think I saw one of you after. I was the obnoxious one who asked him if he'd sign my CD. I didn't mean to be rude and fangirly, I just didn't know! I knew he wouldn't take pics, but forgot about the autograph. Oh, well. He'll never remember me anyway, that's what I tell myself about these moments :).

Agent99 11-17-2014 07:29 PM

I don't care much for autographs anyway, but I do wish he'd do pics. I understand why it's odd to him - the whole "Okay, got my photo, moving on" and not actually conversing with him as a person - but there are those of us that appreciate the photo as simply a memory. I've just been very into pictures to document important things my whole life.