The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Project: Eskimo Concert (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14330)

Lin@ 06-05-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino
At this moment, the only person I think should be in charge of all the funds is the site admin.

Btw, where is he? I'd love to know what he thinks about all this.

Quote:

maybe we can have the option of where some people are actually at the concert while it's being streamed for the rest of the world online?
That's in my opinion the only way the whole thing would work. I mean, can you imagine Damien playing to a non-present audience and talking into a camera just for us eskimos to be able to watch him via live stream? I don't think so. So there MUST be some kind of a "real" concert in a real venue with real eskimos. And I think it would be great if we could keep it as small as possible. Do we really need all the equipment, light show etc.? And when we are talking about Damien Rice, are we actually talking about Damien Rice, the singer/songwriter or are we talking about Damien Rice, the band? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the whole band, but I'd really be happy with just seeing Damo with his guitar. Doing an unplugged show. Or something like that... And that would probably be much less complicated to organize, I suppose.

Martine 06-05-2007 10:02 AM

Before shooting a whole bunch of great ideas, it's nice to know if he'll think about it.
If it's a no for sure, then everything stops.
But if it's a yes, you can shoot ideas.

Although I think you must have some ideas to make it attractive ;)

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-05-2007 11:15 AM

the more i think about it the more i think we shouldl go the whole nine yards and try getting a concert, of course it will take a hell of a lot of time but it is doable.

because like the other guy said, a livestream is just like watching a youtube video, if we are going to do that, lets compile a bunch of youtube vids and watch them together :P

Nine 06-05-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe

Also, as far as the technological factor, some of the money may need to go into hiring someone to make this all happen. Of course any eskimo volunteer would be supremely appreciated, we may need to invest in that.

I'll do it for free once we get the go ahead that we definitely want to try :)

ZachC 06-05-2007 02:03 PM

ok i have another idea outside the box , ill rent ONE huge bus and come pick everyone up in the US ... therefore reducing flying and everyone else driving ... then we will all just go to the US side concert ... ok enough of my outside the box thinking

happy2bhere 06-05-2007 02:08 PM

Would be fantastic if it worked out....heres hoping!

Timeé 06-05-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino
What can be more intimate than watching Damien in your boxers/panties/lingerie...Lauren comes to mind :smiley2:....

Easy bud i've thought through that one already :smiley17: . . . . . . . . .
AS i was saying! my house! .

nah. Can we have a poll to decide whether it be a live stream or a concert? i vote concert. i know its pretty hard but...it'd be worth it. As for cost for a private show...would lights, sound not be an issue because itd be just unplugged? (this is hypothetical)

J.M.C 06-05-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colibriink
No, but wouldn't it be great to exclude the people who

a) answer their cell phones during a concert...
b) try and take pictures with their cell phones...
c) yell out "Amie" or "Creep" over and over and over...

Edit:

d) see Dangana's post below for d)
e) scalp tickets outside venues

and wouldn't it be great to have Corey Byrnes be the official photographer, so no one else would have to mess around with noisy and distracting digital cameras and flashes, and we would end up with FANTASTIC photos - he's amazing!!

Christa



Well how do you know people on this site dont do that ? also how do you know the person who signed up yesterday to come to this concert isnt that type of person how do you draw the line?

Nine 06-05-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeé
Easy bud i've thought through that one already :smiley17: . . . . . . . . .
AS i was saying! my house! .

nah. Can we have a poll to decide whether it be a live stream or a concert? i vote concert. i know its pretty hard but...it'd be worth it. As for cost for a private show...would lights, sound not be an issue because itd be just unplugged? (this is hypothetical)

I vote both. I'll make a poll.

colibriink 06-05-2007 04:41 PM

good point
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
Well how do you know people on this site dont do that ? also how do you know the person who signed up yesterday to come to this concert isnt that type of person how do you draw the line?

I don't. But maybe we could make some rules. :) People swear to abide by them or they don't get in...

We could also do a poll about our behaviour at DR's concerts:

"Has anyone currently posting in this forum ever yelled out 'Where's Lisa??'"

"Has anyone currently posting in this forum ever yelled out 'Play Creep!!'

"Has anyone " " " " " " ever answered their cell phone?"

My response: No. No. And no!

Closing_Doors 06-05-2007 04:53 PM

Bags playing support :p :D

J.M.C 06-05-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colibriink
I don't. But maybe we could make some rules. :) People swear to abide by them or they don't get in...

We could also do a poll about our behaviour at DR's concerts:

"Has anyone currently posting in this forum ever yelled out 'Where's Lisa??'"

"Has anyone currently posting in this forum ever yelled out 'Play Creep!!'

"Has anyone " " " " " " ever answered their cell phone?"

My response: No. No. And no!


I really want to go to a Damien Rice concert so yes I am going to admitt I shouted out wheres lisa and waved my phone around to cannonball
there is people you dont like in life, you cant just exclude them because of that.

I really dont think this will work on any level unless its a stream and then setting up a stream everyone can view isnt problem free.

J.M.C 06-05-2007 05:11 PM

The only way I think it can be done is because Damien knows about eskimofriends and the good work it does to promote his name so maybe MAYBE emett could do a sort of competion were every members name goes into a hat and 200 people or so get picked out for them to go see him at a small venue which will be in the country with the most random winners.

You would have to get Damien to do it for free or very little to promote the site or to get money to charity some how.

How ever its done its rife with problems.

Looking at a concert venue for everyone on this site though is completly out the question.

colibriink 06-05-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
I really want to go to a Damien Rice concert so yes I am going to admitt I shouted out wheres lisa and waved my phone around to cannonball
there is people you dont like in life, you cant just exclude them because of that.

LOL well then, hopefully, you got it out of your system.

If we did a 'serious fans only concert', do you think it's too much to ask of people to put their cell phones away? (serious question)

I think it would be wonderful to attend a concert surrounded by people who know enough about Damien Rice and his dislikes (the photo-taking, ppl talking, answering cellphones etc) that they would be able to be respectful during an entire concert. What do you think?

J.M.C 06-05-2007 06:28 PM

well I was being sarcastic saying anyone could just lie and say they dont do that, they wont admitt it.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-05-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
The only way I think it can be done is because Damien knows about eskimofriends and the good work it does to promote his name so maybe MAYBE emett could do a sort of competion were every members name goes into a hat and 200 people or so get picked out for them to go see him at a small venue which will be in the country with the most random winners.

You would have to get Damien to do it for free or very little to promote the site or to get money to charity some how.

How ever its done its rife with problems.

Looking at a concert venue for everyone on this site though is completly out the question.


Why a raffle DOES NOT work: Let's say the winner lives in South America, or Japan. The majority of Eskimos live in North America and Europe. That would mean we would ALL have to travel to that location, and that costs more. The location can easily be done by the amount of popularity, that way we would have less traveling.

Valentino 06-06-2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
The only way I think it can be done is because Damien knows about eskimofriends and the good work it does to promote his name so maybe MAYBE emett could do a sort of competion were every members name goes into a hat and 200 people or so get picked out for them to go see him at a small venue which will be in the country with the most random winners.

You would have to get Damien to do it for free or very little to promote the site or to get money to charity some how.

How ever its done its rife with problems.

Looking at a concert venue for everyone on this site though is completly out the question.

No. There is absolutely no way I will let my attendance be left to chance. I don't mind paying the extra cash it takes to help set this thing up nor the extra funds required for travel expenses. With the hat thing, there's a really good chance that several people who didn't contribute a thing will able to go while those who actually contributed their time and money are left with nothing but disappointment. What if your name isn't called, would you be perfectly alright with that? Didn't think so.

Look pal, I admire your effort but let's seriously think about methods that will not only get this thing off the ground as soon as Damien decides to approve it (should he approve it of course) but also ideas that benefit those who worked hard for it. Probablilty in relation with concert attendance is archaic at best so let's rule this one out for sure.

J.M.C 06-06-2007 09:25 AM

valentino I am a realist and you cant just go picking the people you want to go and were you want to have it and how do you draw the line to who contributed and who didnt I am sorry but this is all bull**** and even if it did happen I wouldnt want to go anywhere near it.

Its a nice dream to go to his concert with only people you like but that all it is a little dream.

I Rememeber a man a few years ago who tried to exclude all the people he dint feel were good enough I think his name Adolf.
x

Ps you say how would you feel if my name want called out?
well how would the person in Japan feel who you think lives too far away.

deal135 06-06-2007 11:02 AM

has anyone actually received a response from any emails they've sent out yet?

J.M.C 06-06-2007 11:11 AM

I would guess defo not, Damien basicly plays a gig every night I am guessing his time off is very valuble to his mental health.

GlttrGrrl 06-06-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino
No. There is absolutely no way I will let my attendance be left to chance. I don't mind paying the extra cash it takes to help set this thing up nor the extra funds required for travel expenses. With the hat thing, there's a really good chance that several people who didn't contribute a thing will able to go while those who actually contributed their time and money are left with nothing but disappointment.

So what you're saying is (1) anyone who has enough money can essentially buy their way in by "contributing" to the concert, regardless of how long they've been a fan, how rude they might behave at concerts or anything and (2) even if someone has been a fan longer than those who "contribute" to the concert, failure to contribute makes them less worthy of attending a concert for the "core group of fans"? Who judges?

Like I said, I'd be happy if Damien just went back to fan pre-sales the way he did years ago where his fans got the best seats in the house through a non-Ticketmaster site before they went on sale to the public.

J.M.C 06-06-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
So what you're saying is (1) anyone who has enough money can essentially buy their way in by "contributing" to the concert, regardless of how long they've been a fan, how rude they might behave at concerts or anything and (2) even if someone has been a fan longer than those who "contribute" to the concert, failure to contribute makes them less worthy of attending a concert for the "core group of fans"? Who judges?

Like I said, I'd be happy if Damien just went back to fan pre-sales the way he did years ago where his fans got the best seats in the house through a non-Ticketmaster site before they went on sale to the public.


Finally someone talks sense and gets to it, the people who "contribute" on here arnt the biggest fans of Damien, Let all fans get a pre-sale link to his concerts but thats the best u can hope for and the size of things now I cant even see that coming back.

mario_d 06-06-2007 06:20 PM

Wow, what a waste of thought this thread is. The people who think this could happen, are any of you over the age of 12?



And by the way, scalpers know about all the presales and fan clubs, moreso than most fans do.

GlttrGrrl 06-06-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d
And by the way, scalpers know about all the presales and fan clubs, moreso than most fans do.

Yes, but there are ways to do it around the scalpers - Pearl Jam and other bands have done it with great success for a number of years.

mario_d 06-06-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Yes, but there are ways to do it around the scalpers - Pearl Jam and other bands have done it with great success for a number of years.

And at great expense. Damien is a decade away from being in a situation where he could even consider the sort of program Pearl Jam implemented.

borneoman 06-06-2007 06:28 PM

What did Pearl Jam do??

mario_d 06-06-2007 07:04 PM

They created a fan club organization which distributes tickets on its own. You pay membership dues and one of the aspects of membership is that you can request tickets to concerts.

However, you can only request like two shows per tour, for one pair of seats, and your tickets get willcalled and only you can pick them up on the day of the show.

Basically, if you want to go to one show a tour, in your hometown, it's cool. If you want to go to multiple shows and be able to trade tickets, it sucks.

Rue Saint-Denis 06-06-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glittergrrl
So what you're saying is (1) anyone who has enough money can essentially buy their way in by "contributing" to the concert, regardless of how long they've been a fan, how rude they might behave at concerts or anything and (2) even if someone has been a fan longer than those who "contribute" to the concert, failure to contribute makes them less worthy of attending a concert for the "core group of fans"? Who judges?

Like I said, I'd be happy if Damien just went back to fan pre-sales the way he did years ago where his fans got the best seats in the house through a non-Ticketmaster site before they went on sale to the public.


This is ridiculous! J.M.C. and Glittergrrl I want to know how you guys think you get into a concert.. BY PAYING! You're not going to be admitted just because you're the man's biggest fan or because you behave nicely. You have to pay for admission, please don't tell me this is news to you.

GlttrGrrl 06-06-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d
They created a fan club organization which distributes tickets on its own. You pay membership dues and one of the aspects of membership is that you can request tickets to concerts.

However, you can only request like two shows per tour, for one pair of seats, and your tickets get willcalled and only you can pick them up on the day of the show.

Basically, if you want to go to one show a tour, in your hometown, it's cool. If you want to go to multiple shows and be able to trade tickets, it sucks.

Actually, they've been doing something like that from the beginning. My first PJ show in 1991, they just put me on the list and I couldn't sell the tickets and the fan club was free. As they got bigger, they started charging, but kept it relatively cheap. Even now it's only $20 a year. Fans always had first dibs on tickets. They've tinkered with the system over time. This last go around, fans could go to as many shows as they wanted, although I don't see the problem with them limiting the good fan club seats to once per tour leg. I saw them multiple times this last tour, and was never farther back than 10th row, and was always able to give or sell my extra ticket to another fan.

GlttrGrrl 06-06-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
This is ridiculous! J.M.C. and Glittergrrl I want to know how you guys think you get into a concert.. BUY PAYING! You're not going to be admitted just because you're the man's biggest fan or because you behave nicely. You have to pay for admission, please don't tell me this is news to you.

duh!

But paying doesn't make you special! It doesn't make you a bigger or better fan! It is the same as every concert. So how on earth could you limit this concert to just the "core group of fans" but then measure the worthiness of the audience members by how much they pay or "contribute"? I was responding to Valentino's post in particular.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content copyright © EskimoFriends.com 2002-today. Special thanks to Damien, Lisa, Tomo, Shane & Vyvienne.