The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Project: Eskimo Concert (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14330)

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-06-2007 09:04 PM

by the way, we are aiming for a year or 2 to pull this off minimum, anything less than that is pure fantasy.

dawno 06-06-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Actually, they've been doing something like that from the beginning. My first PJ show in 1991, they just put me on the list and I couldn't sell the tickets and the fan club was free. As they got bigger, they started charging, but kept it relatively cheap. Even now it's only $20 a year. Fans always had first dibs on tickets. They've tinkered with the system over time. This last go around, fans could go to as many shows as they wanted, although I don't see the problem with them limiting the good fan club seats to once per tour leg. I saw them multiple times this last tour, and was never farther back than 10th row, and was always able to give or sell my extra ticket to another fan.

Tenclub is a great thing, I've been fortunate to get great seats to Pearl Jam shows through it, making it to 5 gigs last tour, all purchased through the fanclub.

Pearl Jam played a 'fans only' show at Irving Plaza in NYC - longtime members of the fanclub who resided in NYC were given the chance to get tix to this incredibly intimate show. So as not to exclude other fans who lived within travel distance of the venue, starting the day before their new cd was released, fans were allowed to queue up outside Tower Records in the village, and the first 300 or so who purchased the disc at midnight were given a free ticket to this Irving Plaza show. Of course, once the scalpers got wind of the ticket giveaway, they hired homeless people to sit on the concrete all night to get a ticket, which immediately went up on eBay, Craigslist and/or their broker sites for ridiculous amounts. The basic idea is a great one, doing something like that (with photo id required possibly) could work, but the idea of taking up a collection to help aid others get to this single 'fans only' gig is not realistic at all.. his fanbase is spread out too far around the world. To do something like this properly, a handful of gigs would need to be played, like U2 did on their promo tour for All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Personally, I'd like to see a 'formal' fan club started, and reinstate the presale. (Though I must admit that I bought better seats for the April '03 Beacon gigs through ticketmaster than I bought through the musictoday presale)

dawno 06-06-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario_d
Basically, if you want to go to one show a tour, in your hometown, it's cool. If you want to go to multiple shows and be able to trade tickets, it sucks.

Actually, they made it quite simple to trade tickets with another tenclub member and have the tix waiting for you at the willcall window.

Valentino 06-06-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C
valentino I am a realist and you cant just go picking the people you want to go and were you want to have it and how do you draw the line to who contributed and who didnt I am sorry but this is all bull**** and even if it did happen I wouldnt want to go anywhere near it.

Its a nice dream to go to his concert with only people you like but that all it is a little dream.

I Rememeber a man a few years ago who tried to exclude all the people he dint feel were good enough I think his name Adolf.

Alright, let's settle some scores here. Let me begin by addressing your Hitler comparison. Weak at best, but a cute attempt at claiming you actually know what you're talking about. Realist you say? How about bull****ist for a title? That really suits you quite well my friend especially when you and your little GlttrGrrl have failed to read any of my previous posts addressing how we should completely forget about this whole "core group of fans" thing. You might want to do a little homework before you type such nonsense. All I was saying in regards to those who contribute can be summed up in a quick example: Have you ever been part of a group project in school? There's always the person who wants to do it all himself, people who love interacting with others to achieve a common goal, and then that guy who feels he can sit in the background and simply put his name on the paper when everyone else has finished.

Now my issue is with addressing that last guy who simply floats in thinking he deserves a piece of the pie. And if you've ever been this guy you're obviously shaking your head as you read this. Nothing more, nothing less, that's all. And of course, I know that you can't have an ideal concert in which you pick and choose those you want to attend. But we can help organize this in which it is a pleasant experience for the vast majority and if you're so adamant about not going then do us all the favor and stay home. You see, whether this thing works or not I'm only going into it with the mindset that it will. Damien said it himself, "Try is a fail word." So no matter which way it turns out, we will know that we did our best. I'm sure this concept is easy enough for any self-proclaimed "realist" to comprehend.

Quote:

So what you're saying is (1) anyone who has enough money can essentially buy their way in by "contributing" to the concert, regardless of how long they've been a fan, how rude they might behave at concerts or anything and (2) even if someone has been a fan longer than those who "contribute" to the concert, failure to contribute makes them less worthy of attending a concert for the "core group of fans"? Who judges?

I will address each of your claims individually.

1)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
This is ridiculous! J.M.C. and Glittergrrl I want to know how you guys think you get into a concert.. BY PAYING! You're not going to be admitted just because you're the man's biggest fan or because you behave nicely. You have to pay for admission, please don't tell me this is news to you.

Thank you Rue Saint-Denis. As for GlttrGrrl, the rest of your ASSertion is made up fairy-tales that only you believe I said. But the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions has saved you on this one.

2)
The statement "If if someone has been a fan longer than those who "contribute" to the concert, failure to contribute makes them less worthy of attending a concert for the "core group of fans"? is a contradiction in itself because don't you think that someone who has been a die-hard fan for such a long period of time would ultimately contribute anyway??? Get your head out of the ground girl and use logic for once.

Look, the last thing I want is for Damien or anyone from the band or management to read our thread and think "Man, these guys are a bunch of psychopaths! There's no way we'd approve this thing because the idea of such fans in one arena is crazy!" So with that said, do us all a favor and truly THINK about what you write before you let your little fingers do the typing. There is always a certain number of antagonists and protagonists in a particular group setting. But there are also morons who mess it up for everybody! And yes, you are always entitled to your opinions but you are only entitled to your opinions and freedom of speech as long as it doesn't inflict upon the rights of others. Do your homework, truly read and think about what others are really saying and then we'll have an intelligent conversation. Peace.

GlttrGrrl 06-06-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawno
Pearl Jam played a 'fans only' show at Irving Plaza in NYC.

The basic idea is a great one, doing something like that (with photo id required possibly) could work, but the idea of taking up a collection to help aid others get to this single 'fans only' gig is not realistic at all.. his fanbase is spread out too far around the world. To do something like this properly, a handful of gigs would need to be played, like U2 did on their promo tour for All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Personally, I'd like to see a 'formal' fan club started, and reinstate the presale. (Though I must admit that I bought better seats for the April '03 Beacon gigs through ticketmaster than I bought through the musictoday presale)

They did something similar in LA, too, only some of the tickets were for fans and the rest were given away on the radio and on the internet. The place held like 1,200 people and even those of us who didn't have tickets managed to get in just by waiting around all day.

Re: tickets to the Beacon - the fan club presale got me 3rd row dead center, so I had no complaints. Got 4th Row for the Tower Theater show in Philly, too. Ticketmaster couldn't top that for me at least.

I agree with you on all other counts re: the way Damien could handle this, and that he needs a formal fan club to help handle this. Maybe that's what the people who started this thread can help start. That seems much more feasible.

dawno 06-07-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Re: tickets to the Beacon - the fan club presale got me 3rd row dead center, so I had no complaints. Got 4th Row for the Tower Theater show in Philly, too. Ticketmaster couldn't top that for me at least.

Presale got me 5th row center beacon, ticketmaster got me front row center - but, i will admit that it was a complete fluke... tix were not to go onsale for anotehr week, I clicked on the 'more info' link to find a live ticketing page and immediately purchased two in the front row. I clued a friend in and he bought the seats next to me. Same thing for the Tower Theatre - I had front row center even though tix weren't scheduled to go onsale for a week!

Quote:

I agree with you on all other counts re: the way Damien could handle this, and that he needs a formal fan club to help handle this. Maybe that's what the people who started this thread can help start. That seems much more feasible.

Exactly.

borneoman 06-07-2007 01:17 AM

OMG, that story about NY scalpers hiring homeless to get tix for PJ!!!!

The presale code worked for some, but not for everybody and the scalpers got the codes right from the start. Here in Oakland, we couldn't get anything nice and we gave up, but 5 minutes later an e-bay scalper was already selling 22 pit tix!!!!!

Haina 06-07-2007 01:26 AM

I think this is a great idea!!

Would it be cheaper if someone with a big house/backyard would be willing to host? I mean getting a venue can be ridiculously expensive, especially if you are looking to get a place that is in a good location, like a big city like NYC.

(If this have been already discussed please ignore.)

GlttrGrrl 06-07-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haina
I think this is a great idea!!

Would it be cheaper if someone with a big house/backyard would be willing to host? I mean getting a venue can be ridiculously expensive, especially if you are looking to get a place that is in a good location, like a big city like NYC.

(If this have been already discussed please ignore.)

Anyone with a big enough back yard would also have to have a big enough insurance policy to cover the artist, equipment and all of the audience members, and any security personnel, etc. Venues are expensive, but they are also run by professionals.

Martine 06-07-2007 10:24 AM

Yeah, someone's backyard is really a nice option!

Once I offered my backyard and I'll do it a second time!

deal135 06-07-2007 10:37 AM

To all the people who think this isn't going to happen:
Keep your thoughts to yourself for now... or at least until we get a 'No' or 'Maybe' from Damien
All this arguing isn't helping anyone... so if you're one of those people who doesn't believe we could make this happen with enough effort just stop reading this thread... and leave it to the people who are at least going to try

happy2bhere 06-07-2007 10:43 AM

Dreamt that the eskimo concert happened last night - details are a bit sketchy but i remember damien had short hair (much better in my opinion!), good audience although some very dodgy dancing at some points. There was also a fun-fair run by Argos(!?-cheap catalogue outlet for those who aren't familiar). Oh, Damien also fell in love with me (due to dodgy dancing perhaps) and agreed we should marry. Woke up with a smile on my face!

Just thought i'd share....!

cille 06-07-2007 10:45 AM

^ haha, i could totally see myself in a dodgy dancing scheme :D Cool dream!

^^ good idea! No need to shoot down this thing before we even tried

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-07-2007 11:47 AM

i know, some of you lot seem to enjoy bieng negative more than anything else, of course we have to be realistic, i myself think this has a very slim change of happening, and if it does happen i dont think it wil be for another year or 2, but still, lets at least give it a go, its a nice idea and since the ekimo friends have been supporting damien for ages now its not such a ludicrus idea to give something back.

the uproar on DR.com however, that will be huge.

J.M.C 06-07-2007 11:47 AM

I am sure this will happen.....
but I think that dream is about as far as it will get.

After this maybe you could try Eskimo Live Aid with a big back yard, a couple of microphones and no people who might talk once.

This is me done on this thread, good luck.

Ships_Were_Sailin 06-07-2007 11:48 AM

we thank you for your optimism and support

cille 06-07-2007 12:38 PM

Ouch!

colibriink 06-07-2007 02:16 PM

finally

thank gawd he's done. now, back to planning and scheming and dreaming!

"Build it, and they will come..."

cille 06-07-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonAVO

What good are fans? You can't eat applause for breakfast. You can't sleep with it.
Bob Dylan

Of course, mr. Dylan must know what he talks about, applause is probably a tough one to get to bed, but I do think some some fans have been known to want to sleep with their fave artists from time to time. But stay away from ceiling fans. Just saying. Ouwie! :crybaby2:

cille 06-07-2007 06:34 PM

^ooh! that's horrible! :(

i don't think i'd sleep with damien either. or renee. but is there an 'i want to have it off with vyvienne' forum?

LaurenM 06-07-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

well i have to say im confused....

so do i. but consider that the person who actually came up with this idea was once vehemently pissed when told that damo wouldnt sign an autograph or take a picture if asked. so apparently even core fans can be disrespectful to his wishes now and again. so maybe all this judgin a fans worth is stupid. or maybe this is all just a way for some individuals to make themselves feel special.

jason, i don't remember ever being vehemently pissed about it. i just think it is rather selfish not to take a picture with someone who has paid money and sacrificed hours in the cold to wait for him. i have never met him, so i am not speaking from personal experience. however, when i hear a story of how someone waited for two hours in the cold and when they finally met him, he wouldnt deign to sign a c.d. or be in a photograph, i seriously wonder about the character of the musician i adore.

i dont want an autograph but if i do meet him i would love a picture. i would just want something physical to remember meeting him with. i dont care how normal he wants to seem, it makes him seem insolent and apathetic.

J.M.C 06-07-2007 06:45 PM

word is out

http://board.damienrice.com/index.php?showtopic=485

LaurenM 06-07-2007 06:46 PM

i also think it would be great to have a concert without the screaming "youre sexy damien" girls (**cough***and the girls who post pictures of themselves with the caption "yes i will have your babies damien!***cough***). seriously? some people need to be locked up until their forty five.

Nine 06-07-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.M.C

Oh ****.

GlttrGrrl 06-07-2007 07:37 PM

Jason, I usually don't read your posts, but I think you summed it up better than anyone. While I do think that there is a lot of energy and positivity in this idea and this thread, I also think the judgment about who "deserves" a special concert is selfish and toxic. I think we as fans should try to be grateful for what we have (like Damien randomly deciding to invite people backstage or bring out cookies to people waiting outside) instead of trying to figure out some way to get something MORE (like a picture he doesn't want you to take or a concert just for you and your friends).

GlttrGrrl 06-07-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine
Oh ****.

Hahaha! After clicking through to other board on that link, I saw that someone over there has co-opted my screenname. I just want to state for the record that I did not start that thread on the DR.com board. I haven't even registered on that site. I was registered on the old site (and don't recall what my screenname was), but didn't bother when the new site went up. I think someone in here who doesn't like me is trying to set me up. By the way, you don't have to believe me, but I just wanted to say it up front before someone else starts accusing me of anything. Thanks ;)

Rai 06-07-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
i also think it would be great to have a concert without the screaming "youre sexy damien" girls (**cough***and the girls who post pictures of themselves with the caption "yes i will have your babies damien!***cough***). seriously? some people need to be locked up until their forty five.

That'll still leave us with the "Where's Lisa" "Please play What do You Know About Love" and the "Vyv for President" people :p

LaurenM 06-07-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

so the words were too strong but the point remains. as you said...you dont care what he wants. when that is reversed onto you by someone else...what do you think of them?

jason

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
Ayn Rand

dont use ayn in defense. im not rejecting his individual liberties. im calling him out on seeming to not have any empathy nor to give a **** about people who have waited for hours to see him. both sides to this argument are reasonable, i will admit. however, when the chips fall damien's fans are loyal and a simple picture isnt that much to ask.

cille 06-08-2007 09:42 AM

^but it's never just ONE picture, there's always another fan who also wants a picture, and another, and another. If I try to use my empathy, I can imagine such continuous requests for autographs and pictures being quite exhausting and possibly quite difficoult to deal with in the long run. I think he's just trying to protect himself.

Tommy 06-08-2007 01:28 PM

"I bought you this necklace
It cost me 12 pounds
From Argos, Elizabeth Duke
Maybe you're the skywalker to my luke
The Darth to the Vader
Flip Over the Crossfader
I'll serenade you with a bag of space raiders
Or walkers or smiths or maybe even quavers
'Cos my love for you is like drugs for ravers
With glowsticks and funny hats on
I loves you more than I loves my bong"