The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lisa Hannigan (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tomo no longer touring (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16178)

Banjaxed 12-21-2009 08:27 AM

Tomo no longer touring

This was announced last night at the vicar st gig... Perhaps you've all known for ages, but it was new to me.

Twas a bit emotional on stage... I happened to have something in my eye at the send-off.

Thanks for the years of great entertaiment tomo... Was always better with you on stage.

Rai 12-21-2009 08:36 AM

^Any reasons?

Banjaxed 12-21-2009 08:39 AM

"To focus on his family life"

... Hopefully not in the tiger woods sense.

Rai 12-21-2009 09:47 AM

^Then it's OK, he'll get bored pretty soon :)

verenita 12-21-2009 04:03 PM

it´s new to me too. thanks for share the news.

:smiley32: :smiley32: :smiley32: :smiley32:
to you, man! you were always one of favourites. and thanks so much for all that passion you´ve been given :)

srahman24 12-21-2009 04:54 PM

News to me too! Thanks for sharing. Can't imagine the stage without him, but I do wish him the best of luck :)

Yetzirah 12-21-2009 05:33 PM

ah, he'll be back again! but family is important and i appreciate that he's been sharing his passion with us for so long!

eva_arg 12-21-2009 05:43 PM

aww I'm gonna miss seeing him up stage. hope he gets back soon.

you rock, tomo!!

Joyful 12-21-2009 06:30 PM

Best of luck Tomo! Enjoy your family and feel free to come back if and when you are ready.

PMF88 12-21-2009 09:53 PM

He's a great guy, and certainly talented. His loss will definitely be felt at shows, at least at first. Any word if he will still record with the band?

Rai 12-21-2009 10:27 PM

I wonder who will replace him... I know of a few Ó Snodaigh brothers who could do good in the band... I'm sure Maria would agree. :D

Moves-My-World 12-21-2009 10:28 PM

He was a pivotal part of the show and will be missed :( have fun with the family though!

#Ian# 12-21-2009 10:38 PM

Graham Hopkins = Default go to guy when reasonably well known Irish musicians don't have a permanent drummer.

mariaoran 12-22-2009 01:17 AM

^Isn't he touring with the Swellies though??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 354675)
I wonder who will replace him... I know of a few Ó Snodaigh brothers who could do good in the band... I'm sure Maria would agree. :D

As much as I love Tomo and his weird obsession with donkeys, I would never object to his replacement being an O'snodaigh!!! hmm if dreams could come true.... :D

verenita 12-22-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjaxed (Post 354631)
This was announced last night at the vicar st gig... Perhaps you've all known for ages, but it was new to me.

Twas a bit emotional on stage... I happened to have something in my eye at the send-off.

Thanks for the years of great entertaiment tomo... Was always better with you on stage.

so, how was the gig? it was the last of the year, wasn´t it?

azurepalesky 12-22-2009 06:15 PM

Tomo, you will be missed!!

He's always such a sight since he's always smiling... he really brings up the moods of the performances with his great interactions and of course, fantastic drumming.

Wheels 12-25-2009 05:18 PM

Tomo will definately be missed, he was always so cheery! And his drumming was fantastic. At least now he can hang out here with us good folks and still keep up with all the goings on, right Tomo? :)

cuuliem 12-25-2009 09:44 PM

he also backed up lisa on the vocals on the live songs...
she will not be able to perform them right from now on...
and i wont be able to pay him the whisky bottle i broke last year in seattle.

cheers lad

FightthegdFight 12-31-2009 08:49 PM

From the Fingerprints Music Store (Long Beach, California) e-mail flyer.

Yeah, we've been talking about this for a couple of weeks now, but damn is it ever worth the added push.

Late in 2008 Lisa and her band stopped in to play this live set, made up of 6 tracks from Lisa's Mercury Prize nominated debut, Sea Sew, performed right here on our stage. It's a full band performance and it catches them with everything clicking into place. On a somewhat somber note, it's looking like it's the final recording with Tomo in the band; Tomo is Lisa's drummer (he's also played with Damien Rice and in the band God Street Wine). The word we're hearing is he's taking a break to spend some time being a dad - so good luck with it, Tomo.
There are a tremendous number of exciting things happening for Lisa right now including numerous "best of the year" mentions, so we get to include "excited by the timing" to our already "proud" when we talk about this release.

The CD of Live at Fingerprints is available now for the sale price of $5.49.

fishwife 01-21-2010 11:40 AM

tomo tribute video

i don't know if this has been posted already but i think this one shows a video the band made for tomo in the background with gavin and lisa singing from the vicar st. gig. does anybody know the song they sang? sweet. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aQq...eature=related

verenita 01-21-2010 12:44 PM

i´ve never seen it before... wow, goosebumps!
really really nice of them :) and there´re a lot of funny pictures we´ve never seen. beautiful.
the only thing left, for me, is there´re no hugs! i was waiting for a huge hug :D
i think it´s cultural, maybe. people in here would have hugged that much that the audience would have started to yell "come on!, go back to play!", lol.

oh, nice song as well, although i don´t know which is.

eva_arg 01-21-2010 08:01 PM

^yeah! I was waiting for a big hug also :D

lovely video and song btw

verenita 01-22-2010 01:01 PM

^ i knew it ;)
i´m glad i´m not alone...

RPP 01-23-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verenita (Post 355623)

oh, nice song as well, although i don´t know which is.

David Byrne & Brian Eno - My Big Nurse :):icon_kidr

verenita 01-24-2010 02:44 AM

thanks.

Glockypaws 02-07-2010 10:47 PM

It's really sad to see Tomo have to leave, in all of the live videos it seems there is some very special connection between his unique method of playing the drums (or percussion instruments in general, whatever he can find to make a rhythm) and the rest of Lisa's band.

Fun stuff!

Hope everything is going fantastically for him and everybody else.:hello::icon_kidr:angel7:

jwelsh8 03-08-2010 09:07 PM

Just an update: Tomo is going to be playing (at least) two scheduled shows here in New York with his (old) band God Street Wine. At the Blender Theater, where I saw him play with Lisa. Quite excited.

Here is a quick interview from Hidden Track:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddent...d-street-wine/

cille 03-09-2010 09:14 AM

Is that the band we once saw a pic of - the sweater guys?

jwelsh8 03-09-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille (Post 357016)
Is that the band we once saw a pic of - the sweater guys?

Sweater guys? Hmm . . . Not sure about that.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddent...ge-400x268.jpg