The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If you could ask Damien to cover one song, what would it be? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17359)

Shillelagh 10-23-2014 09:51 PM

If you could ask Damien to cover one song, what would it be?

I think id go with Little Bird.

citlali 10-24-2014 06:50 AM

Paper House. I would love to hear it in his voice. This song has even the same tone of most of his song of his new album.

damien lisa 10-24-2014 07:50 AM

^
^ and ^
lol, no. I don't want to make him confuse

i would ask for any mj songs, like You are not alone

Voxi 10-24-2014 08:51 AM

Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez

And of course one of my favourite band "Lucky You" - The National

I think both songs would fit him ;)

carrroline 10-24-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shillelagh (Post 376991)
I think id go with Little Bird.

That's a bit cruel...

'Jealous guy' - John Lennon
Or maybe Glen Hansard's 'leave'
Or something completely ridiculous like 'we will rock you' :p

melodie 10-24-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voxi (Post 377018)

Definitely on board with anything by The National.

My first thought was my favourite Bob Dylan song: Boots of Spanish Leather.

Great question!

DesoleInBoston 10-24-2014 02:19 PM

I love the Glen Hansard - Leave suggestion!

Maybe Two Headed Boy by Neutral Milk Hotel. I'm not their biggest fan, but I've always thought this sounded a bit like a DR song.

dawno 10-24-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Yes. Lucky You would be amazing. I'd also really love to hear him cover Daughters of the Soho Riots, Slow Show, About Today and Pink Rabbits.

Shillelagh 10-24-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesoleInBoston (Post 377044)

Maybe Two Headed Boy by Neutral Milk Hotel. I'm not their biggest fan, but I've always thought this sounded a bit like a DR song.

That'd be pretty sweet. That whole album is great.

Shillelagh 10-24-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 377039)
That's a bit cruel...

'Jealous guy' - John Lennon
Or maybe Glen Hansard's 'leave'

I guess you're right. I was just thinking for the whole full circle thing. Damien write songs about Lisa and lisa singing them to lisa writing songs about damien and Damo singing them.

Leave would be great too. Didn't he have a hand in writing it with Glen?

I guess I'll repuck since that does seem cruel. "Fun Times in Babylon" or "Nancy from now on" by Father John Misty.

Circa1992 10-24-2014 03:38 PM

"Acrobat," "If You Wear That Velvet Dress," or even "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2 are the first ones that come to mind.

carrroline 10-24-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shillelagh (Post 377050)
I guess you're right. I was just thinking for the whole full circle thing. Damien write songs about Lisa and lisa singing them to lisa writing songs about damien and Damo singing them.

Leave would be great too. Didn't he have a hand in writing it with Glen?

I guess I'll repuck since that does seem cruel. "Fun Times in Babylon" or "Nancy from now on" by Father John Misty.

I get where you're coming from and I never thought you intended to be cruel :)

Father John Misty is a great choice! ('Well, you can do it without me' would be nice too)

tessalasset 10-24-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 377039)

I was about to say, "Damn, you sure are prophetic," and then noticed when you posted this.

carrroline 10-24-2014 09:01 PM

^ hehe :D

acquadigio 10-24-2014 09:51 PM

how about: Loch Lomond - Elephants & Little Girl

I'm some kind of obsessed with elephant...

mandarific 10-25-2014 01:05 AM

Being honest, pretty much any of Glen or Lisa's songs, but I think "You Will Become" in particular would sound great if Damo did it.

As far as other ones, James Vincent McMorrow's "We Don't Eat" and "Iscariot" by Walk the Moon.

rachlanee 10-25-2014 02:14 AM

Don't laugh, but Possession by Sarah Mclaughlin. It's so haunting, I wish she did more like that.

glo32 10-25-2014 06:41 AM

Agree with melodie, "anything by The National".
and then some more Leonard Cohen...

Shahar 10-25-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesoleInBoston (Post 377044)

It would be really interisting to hear damien covers it!

Joyful 10-25-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachlanee (Post 377103)
Don't laugh, but Possession by Sarah Mclaughlin. It's so haunting, I wish she did more like that.

I would love that too!!

Hillah 10-25-2014 05:34 PM

I love the suggestion for "jealous guy"

I would also love to hear him sing any of Jacques Brel's songs

and after his "we will rock you" small tribute, his version of Queen's "love of my life" or "I'm going slightly mad" sounds to me like an interesting thing to do

Hillah 10-25-2014 05:36 PM

and i forgot also Radiohead's "high and dry" or another song from the Amnesiac album

Agent99 10-25-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez

Yessssss.

Voxi 10-30-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melodie (Post 377042)
Definitely on board with anything by The National.

My first thought was my favourite Bob Dylan song: Boots of Spanish Leather.

Yes for Bob Dylan! Or "Girl from the North Country" :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawno (Post 377046)
Yes. Lucky You would be amazing. I'd also really love to hear him cover Daughters of the Soho Riots, Slow Show, About Today and Pink Rabbits.

Yes and yes and yes :) All of them are on my top 10 by The National and it would be awesome to here Damien's version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shillelagh (Post 377050)

I also love your choice. I love an idea of Damien covering "Nancy from Now On". I called my bike Nancy (I have sticker and everything on it) because of that song :smiley32:

Spamlet 11-02-2014 10:39 AM

I adore Joan Baez but instead of DR, I think her masterpieces like "Honest Lullaby" and "Marriott, USA could actually be perfect covers for Lisa (but especially "D&R" since we all know who that one was written about).

Not sure these are fit my perfect cover but there are two songs I always find myself going into naturally when I sing along to Damo because they fit so seamlessly (a la the medley of "Never/Always on My Mind") :

1) Right after the big build up of "but I guess I can waaaait" in YSBH I hear a perfect transition to "Don't Get Me Wrong" by The Pretenders.

2) In the aching piano outro in that legendary extended version of AB I automatically jump into "When You Were Young" by The Killers.

I guess I'd love to see him try to pull off Neil Young's "Thrasher" since it probably gets my vote for the most profoundly breathtaking song ever written.

ElephantMan 11-02-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet (Post 377925)

I guess I'd love to see him try to pull off Neil Young's "Thrasher" since it probably gets my vote for the most profoundly breathtaking song ever written.

OMG fukn love Thrasher may be my fav song ever from my fav artist...and Damien could easily pull it off,

herbie25 08-13-2015 09:06 PM

Agree with walk the moons 'iscariot'

Id also add 'it could be you' by alexis strum

borneoman 08-14-2015 03:10 PM

Radiohead - Karma Police

Albus 01-13-2017 01:48 AM

Think I'd go with Blackbird (Beatles). They did it after coming back from India and working with someone there who was really good in fingerboard style so the White Album really shows that they learned a lot while away.

I've played it myself and it's kind of tough but he has his own stylized chords in his repertoire and he'd probably come up with a different feel to the old classic.