The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Eskimo, Anatomy of the song... (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7729)

TBone 03-03-2005 09:42 PM

Eskimo, Anatomy of the song...

Hey, I dont know the meaning of this song, and I dont know if you know it, but I have broken it down and then still couldnt find it, then it hit me one day, I was over my friend's house when I loked over on his mantle and there I saw this old antique metal fan that is just for show, I went over , looked at it closer and the fan's name is *Eskimo*, (this is a vintage electric fan), and it totally made sense to me. The lyrics fit so well,

Tiredness fuels empty thoughts
I find myself disposed
Brightness fills empty space
In search of inspiration
Harder now with higher speed
Washing in on top of me
So I look to my eskimo friend
I look to my eskimo friend
When I'm down, down, down.

Rain it wets muddy roads
I find myself exposed
Tapping dies, but irritate
In search of destination
Harder now with higher speed
Washing in on top of me
So I look to my eskimo friend
When I'm down, down, down.

Those lyrics could totally go alone with this, of his Fan being his only friend in a hot day when hes tired, down, disposed, etc. The tapping of the fan irritates him, hes in deep thought of inspiration and destination due to the heat. Heat can cause you to go into deep thought. and so his only hope is his eskimo fan or in this case *friend*.... Hey, I dont know if this is the meaning, but it makes total sense, maybe Im crazy but come on, think about it, it makes sense, heres what I mean... go to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

just copy and paste this site and check out the fan, you can see in the middle of the fan (its kinda hard to see though) the *Eskimo* sign, alrighty, just thought Id share my insight with you, Later...

=TBone

Patricia 03-03-2005 09:58 PM

Awwww, errrr interesting interpretation! Reminds me of my own interpretation of "the power of orange knickers": a bit extreme, but why not??

TBone 03-03-2005 10:07 PM

Thats what I said, why not, i know its probably not right, but hey, I can dream...

=TBone

Suze 03-04-2005 08:21 AM

I actually thought Eskimo Friend was perhaps cocaine or speed....

cille 03-04-2005 08:59 AM

interpretations are FUN! :D

**jebus** 03-04-2005 01:48 PM

Certainly a very unique way of looking at it!
:smiley32:

SilentNight 03-04-2005 02:01 PM

it only costs $10 to buy it, why not get one and see if you can all be Damien Rice, or NOT, lol... good idea:p

hotwhiskey 03-06-2005 02:05 AM

Think along the lines of 'Turning Japanese' and you're more likely to hit on the right track, for my money....

SisterMidnight 03-06-2005 02:32 AM

lol i never thought of it that way before :smiley36:

everybody's heard my interpretation but no one else seems to agree so i'll leave that one alone...

my daughter said she thinks it's about drugs but said heroin, but really if that's the case cocaine makes more sense to me...

on a side note she also offered me her interpretation on 'volcano' the other day (i think i may have won her over to damien's side, i came home the other day and she was listening to the blowers daughter!) anyway she thought the lines 'what i really need is what makes me bleed.. like a new disease... oh lord she's still too young to treat' means literally having a sexually transmitted disease and the girl is too young to 'treat' so he doesn't want to give it to her :smiley24: not sure i agree but thought i would throw it out on the board since i never heard that interpretation before...

Donsie B! 03-11-2005 05:51 PM

genius!

Cali 11-25-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwhiskey
Think along the lines of 'Turning Japanese' and you're more likely to hit on the right track, for my money....

that'd be me, my yoke & i

Gatsby 11-25-2005 06:54 PM

thats the beauty of eskimo... it has a universal interpretation

i myself believe it is someone struggling and trying to succeed but always getting knocked back... and finding a friend to help you when your already down

and also about drugs it fits perfectly... the ups and the downs.. ive gone into more detail but its in a thread years ago so i couldnt be bothered finding it:smiley2:

good interpretation tho

gomezxico 11-25-2005 10:04 PM

a fan??? it fits...interesant!

reborn_enoch 11-25-2005 11:11 PM

I thought it was about eskimos, innuit?

Cali 11-25-2005 11:53 PM

i thought it was about one in particular

Arpie 11-26-2005 12:32 AM

I thought the eskimo friend was an abstraction...