The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question For the Irish (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424)

tasha039 09-03-2003 07:06 PM

This is all just hypothetical...but if I, as an American wanted to move Ireland I need to know a couple of things, and if they are involve money, I need help with the value exchange.
1-how much is a typical aprtment
2-are there an abundance of jobs, if so what type
3-are americans well-recieved in ireland
4-what is involved in changing your country of allegiance.
5-if you are a college student, you have changed you allegiance, and you pay taxes, will the government still pay for your college schooling or is there an entirely separate fee
6-what are the taxes, how much,
7-what are the seasons like

thank you so much if anyone can answer these, I really appreciate it. post it here or e-mail me (address in profile)Edited by: tasha039

peterd 09-04-2003 05:04 AM

1- to buy about 200 thousand euro to rent around 550-700 a month

2- not that hard to get a job except in IT

3- a yes we dont mind yous except your polotics are a bit f**ked up!

4- dunno

5- entirely seperate fee

- 22% and 44% last time i heard

7- summer this year hot, Autumn windy cold, winter f**kin freezin spring kinda nice

katinka 09-04-2003 05:57 AM

summer this year hot? those were the only 2 weeks of rain in my summer....[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Angela 09-04-2003 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterd
winter f**kin freezin

Really? How cold does it usually get?

daol20 09-04-2003 10:55 AM

Dont mind "peterd" Angela! Irish people are never happy with the weather no matter what it is! Ireland has mild winters andwarm summers. Neither is excessive. The winters wouldnt be as cold as NY's winters or as warm as their summershttp://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ei.html

theres the cia website on Ireland.

And tash, in terms of college, if your an EU member the government pays your college fees, and collegeis free. (appart from Admin costs). If your a non-EU member unfortunately it costs ya.And the rent issue, varies totally depending on where your staying. If its a city like Dublin, Galway or Limerick and weither its city centre or suburbs. An appartment in Dublin City centre could cost 850 euro p/m and and house in the suburbs could cost between 1000 and 2500 p/m depending on thearea. see http://www.daft.ie/ . And you talking about 250 euros to 450 and monthfor a single room.
Edited by: daol20

Angela 09-04-2003 11:36 AM

I'm from Germany. -7C was fecking freezing cold there. I now think of it as tropical! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

I never thought to inquire about the climate before I moved to Boston. Now hugging an air conditioner in summer and doing arctic moutaineering in winter.

Aisling 09-05-2003 08:20 AM

it rains a lot here. no one mentioned that. esp in the west.

ireland's lovely tho not as a whole but every individual part is except for ballina sorry if anybody lives there. apartments in galway would be about 400-500pw i dont really know about the rest...at least i tried...

daol20 09-05-2003 01:49 PM

that www.daft.ie website covers the whole of Ireland.

Galways a great spot! That only place i'd live in Ireland outside of Dublin. (Well i lived there every summer for a few years if that counts).

daol20 09-05-2003 01:49 PM

Well maybe Meath or Kildare cos there beside Dublin.

Angela 09-05-2003 02:26 PM

Dublin is expensive [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

daol20 09-05-2003 03:03 PM

Yeah! Its like the third most expensive city in Europe now. Paris, London and the Dublin. Everyone lost the plot with the changeover from £ to euros and pushed up the price of everything. Especially the doctors and dentists!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

A typical Saturday night out for me would cost well over the 100 euros mark! (Sometimes more)Whichaverages at around a quarter of most young people weekly wage. And whenever i go away for the weekend i spend a fraction of that on a night out.

Witnness cost me nearly 300 though, not including the ticket!
Edited by: daol20

FredDaNinjaPunk 09-05-2003 03:05 PM

Go live in Killarney(for the summer anyway)...beautiful area and great craic...expensive enough depending on what you're looking for, but not as ridiculous as Dublin.

I don't like Dublin meself I have to say. Drink costs a bomb and any nite I've been out there hasn't been that good..Maybe I'm just not goin to the right places. Its a dangerous enough ol' spot too.

FredDaNinjaPunk 09-05-2003 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daol20

A typical Saturday night out for me would cost well over the 100 euros mark! (Sometimes more)*Which*averages at around a quarter of most young people weekly wage. And whenever i go away for the weekend i spend a fraction of that on a night out

Why do you love it so much then? is it just cos its where the most stuff happens??

Angela 09-05-2003 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daol20
Witnness cost me nearly 300 though, not including the ticket!

[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] Wow. That's almost like going to New York. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] Between that and the gray skies I think I'll stay where I am!

tasha039 09-06-2003 12:30 AM

Are you happy your currency was changed into Euros? Are there Euro coins? I think it was sort of dumb idea changing the currency because it strips a country of its own special characteristics; it's culture. But it is also good because foreigners will not have such a terrible time with traveling etc.

LisaOBrien 09-06-2003 05:30 PM

i wasnt intially happy about the changeover because it made working in Boots over the christmas so damn confusing!!! yeah we have a 2E, 1E 50c, 20c, 10, 5c, 2c, and 1c. it does make travelling in europe a hell of a lot easier. and FYI each european country has their own emblem on the back of the coins, ireland's is a harp...so it's not completely new.
[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

tasha039 09-07-2003 05:38 PM

whoa, you have 2c, does the c just stand for cents or is it something else? so 2E is roughly $2? What is the exchange value in American money? I want to see a Euro and a c

LisaOBrien 09-07-2003 09:41 PM

1euro = $1.09 at the moment.yeah c is for cents...we have euros and cents. when i get home i will send you a euro coin and a cent ok?? [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] just coz you're cool

tasha039 09-07-2003 11:51 PM

yeah...thanks