The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DR Live Show Info (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14157)

Lance 05-14-2007 10:23 PM

DR Live Show Info

I've really gotten into Damien Rice since around November. I have most of his albums(o and 9 and some of the B-Sides) and have DL'd the bonaroo show and the union chapel show. i've listen to the heck out of all those songs.

however, i'm attending my first shows in a couple of weeks. i was wondering how often does he mix up his sets. does he(they) stick to the setlist, or does he change things up on the fly. is there a lot of standing at the shows? or do people pretty much just stay quiet and seated (ie ray lamontagne)

i'm just trying to get a little prepared. i've been looking forward to these shows since i bought tix back in feb. i've been to 61 dmb shows...but yet to make it to DR. i look forward to trying to catch as many shows as possible in the coming years. i'm just bummed i never got a chance to see the band with lisa. :( hopefully someday they'll reunite.

thanks for hearing me out. sorry if i rambled too long.

peace

Emelie 05-15-2007 07:24 AM

Concerning the setlist, I'm pretty sure not one show is similar to the other.. I don't think he really plans them out much in advance and you're probably in for at least one surprise :)
Hope you enjoy the shows!

cmigliaccio 05-15-2007 01:45 PM

Setlists get changed, although not on the DMB level (this also has something to do with the fact that at this point, he has a much more limited catalogue than Dave). You've got a pretty good chance of hearing something brand-new, or at the least something that's never been released.

As far as sitting/standing, the crowd will probably sit unless its GA and there's no seats. The mood is pretty sedate, but there's a good sort of energy to it. You'll feel it yourself soon enough.

GlttrGrrl 05-15-2007 02:14 PM

Damien doesn't have a set list. he plays what he wants to play at that moment. It keeps the band on their toes ;) None of the 8 or 9 shows I've been to have been like each other, but he almost always plays certain songs at every show (The Blower's Daughter, Volcano), and from the looks of it, he's playing Cannonball off-mic at the edge of the stage and Cheers Darlin' as his last song every night. But maybe he'll get bored of that and start doing something different at later shows in the tour.

Lance 05-15-2007 05:15 PM

great stuff. thanks :smiley20:

that's awesome that he doesn't have any kind of setlist. i love that.

davidcotyalex 05-15-2007 05:40 PM

While he is ending most of the shows with cheers darlin he didn't in Dallas - that show's encore was blowers and ended with the unplugged cannonball - he is also throwing in some unreleased stuff like Face in Dallas - he has also played Sand and others along with some other stuff like Cross eyed bear in Chicago last night.

All in all he decides as he goes - and some of the best moments are the jams during or between songs.

Calum 05-15-2007 09:56 PM

Actually, i think Damien's live shows are best experienced standing... well, any gig i think is better standing. There is definitely a great atmosphere and a bouncing one during quite a few songs, at least at the Hammersmith Apollo, and i'm pretty certain it's always like that.

Lance 05-16-2007 01:35 AM

i really enjoy sand. i'm not sure what copy of the song i have. great lyrics(as usual)

i'd like to get that.

my fav is woman like a man. but rootless tree and cocunut skins aren't far behind...and accidental babies, etc. etc.

Devilock 05-16-2007 11:23 PM

I don't think he played Cannonball unplugged in Brisbane. But my memory could be misleading me.

Lance 05-27-2007 08:10 AM

just a fantastic show! i'll review a lot more later. i gotta go to bed. can't wait for indy. (no vyv again)

here's the set:

damien rice
louisville palace theatre
may 26, 2007

sleep don't weep
grey room
the professor
volcano
rootless tree
woman like a man
amie
eskimo
coconut skins
me, my yoke and i
delicate
dogs
made up song (hilarious!!)
accidental babies
cannonball unplugged
-----------------------------

9 crimes
blowers daughter
cheers darlin'

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2341/dscn0139zq2.jpg

Lance 06-01-2007 07:43 PM

what a fantastic 2 shows i was lucky enough to go to. i had been building up my trip for some time. i was afraid maybe i set my expectations too high. especially w/o lisa or vyv.

however, the shows were even better than i anticipated. the louisville show was better than indy, but both were great.

louisville's theatre was amazing, and the louisville crowd was 1000 times better than indy. indy's crowd was extremly rude, and pretty frustrating at times.

one of the highlites was the song he made up in louisville. he asked the crowd for a request, and he seemed to have decided on a song. he put his capo on 7...when someone yelled..."make some **** up". damo laughed and said i heard that. he took his capo off and put it in his pocket and said..."alright, let's make some **** up." he asked for 3 chords. the crowd gave him C, G7, and Em. he ended up making up a full song with some funny lyrics. i hope to heck the show was taped just for that.

another hilite was the professor. that is such a great song live. i loved when the band came in during the "i don't konw...i don't know..." at indy, coconut skins into woman like a man was powerful.

insane was another great hilite(and a crowd request at indy)

i didn't like the new version of volcano. it doesn't seem right on the organ. it loses some of its punch. and i really rather have rootless tree played on a guitar rather than piano. but that's just me, i'm sure everyone has their own opinion. i just like the power of rootless tree on guitar.

i can go on and on, this is already way too long. i hope to heck he does a similar tour in the US next year.

here are my pics of the indy show. my camera is awful. it's old and doesn't zoom. they are pretty lame, but i thought i'd at least share. i'm buying a new camera this weekend!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3401721...7600297301532/

peace

buddy 06-01-2007 09:13 PM

thanks for the account, lance.