The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Whelan's 25th anniversary gig (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17181)

carrroline 05-14-2014 10:59 AM

The blower's daughter.

eva_arg 05-14-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 373521)
We did lots of videos, think Stefan videotaped ot all + chrysler recorded audio x all ;)

I repeat: best concert ever ;) ;) ;)

yes! :hello2::hello2::hello2: looking forward to everything. Thanks!!

verenita 05-14-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille (Post 373499)
Vere, are you not in Eire at the moment?

i am not :( saddest part, i supposed to be there by now... happiest part (:hello2:), my very best friend is about to deliver her second child next monday! thatīs the reason why i extended my stay in argentina... oh well, worse things have happened in this world, havenīt them?

verenita 05-14-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 373521)
I repeat: best concert ever ;) ;) ;)

hahaha, marti... you always say "best concert ever", which means you enjoy even more every gig... and speaks very well about damienīs performances :)

he seems to be in a very good mood and shape... this new look is very refreshing and suits him... a lot :D

eva_arg 05-14-2014 11:34 AM

Found this radio report

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/home/B...th_anniversary

No songs, but you can hear a bit of an interview with his gran by the end

Stine 05-14-2014 11:41 AM

Found this comment on a forum:

Quote:

He looked pretty baked I have to say, and talked like he was. Someone was at the wacky tabaccy back stage.
- oh well - sounds like somebody had a nice time!

srahman24 05-14-2014 12:31 PM

Vee, I'm sure there'll be another (dare I say it, even more special) Damo related surprise in your future for being such a good friend - karma and whatnot ;)

Glad to hear it all went off so well! Hopefully he had so much fun on stage he'll take the act properly on the road soon!

Gatsby 05-14-2014 12:43 PM

I really have to agree, best gig ever.

I didn't expect him to be in such good form. The crowd were unbelievably quiet, you could hear a pin drop. I've never been part of an Irish audience who have been so respectful. (Perhaps because he closed the bar during the performance, actually thats definitely why!!) But even when people sung along, it was low, hushed and hauntingly beautiful. Perfect.

I must agree with that comment that he was incredibly baked for the whole thing! It was kinda surreal. He would go off on a tangent, then just mumble, then forget what he was saying, then play a song! With no guide from the audience. We just waited patiently for him to find his place again.
He told some mad stories, most were new ones i hadn't heard before, or changed versions of old ones with new details included (sometimes a bit too much detail!), but he was definitely in a very open, sharing mood the whole evening. I loved 'The Greatest Bastard'. Was hoping he'd play a few more new songs, but from the few i heard they seemed slightly sarcastic yet basic. More that he is laughing at himself rather than getting so emotionally tied up. That's what i got from it anyways. The other new one "Long way to the top", sounded like he just made it up. It held no depth for me, nor liking. But maybe i'm being too harsh and critical.

He had invited a guy to play drums (a drumset he found under the stage seemingly) and a "friend" who had watched the soundcheck and he had invited onstage for a few songs. It wasn't rehearsed or even very good, but i think the arrangement was more out of charity than to enhance the performance. (that sounds really mean, but he was definitely not a drummer!). I was disappointed at the lack of "Guests" but perhaps it would have changed the course of the whole gig.

Overall it was a fantastic gig, seeing one of my favourite artists in my favourite venue, with a fantastic crowd. Spoiled! But i just can't shake this underlying feeling from the gig. He seemed very disconnected at times, (I do put that down to being stoned) but mostly he seemed unprepared and his mindset didn't seem like the focused album releasing Damien. It's hard to explain... He seemed almost too relaxed and happy (if thats possible!). He spoke of a recent dream about his own death, and how he was lying there thinking of his achievements. My memory is fuzzy on the details, but it was extremely morbid and mostly in relation to the new album. He was incredibly open with the audience for the whole gig. At times i think he forgot we were there and he was just rolling out a cognitive chain of expression, frustration, happiness and fears. It was really beautiful yet haunting. It was such a surreal experience to be in that audience last night and something that i think will be impossible to translate via quotes or videos or even to explain (i'm not really doing such a great job!). But this performance will last forever with me. Not just because of how intimate and beautiful it was, but for how imperfect and open he was in sharing with us. It was really something i didn't expect to be so moving.

verenita 05-14-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srahman24 (Post 373534)
Vee, I'm sure there'll be another (dare I say it, even more special) Damo related surprise in your future for being such a good friend - karma and whatnot ;)

:) :smiley31:

fingers crossed! i will be more special cause i bet you will be there too ;)

verenita 05-14-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 373535)
It was really beautiful yet haunting. It was such a surreal experience to be in that audience last night and something that i think will be impossible to translate via quotes or videos or even to explain (i'm not really doing such a great job!). But this performance will last forever with me. Not just because of how intimate and beautiful it was, but for how imperfect and open he was in sharing with us. It was really something i didn't expect to be so moving.

thatīs almost the perfect feeling! iīm happy for you, si.

thanks for sharing (you did a great job, but i agree that no post, pic or vid will be able to reflect the feeling and the emotions!) and keep enjoying!

verenita 05-14-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva_arg (Post 373532)
Found this radio report

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/home/B...th_anniversary

No songs, but you can hear a bit of an interview with his gran by the end

oh lord! how much i love irish accent (anywhere in ireland!) and how much iīve been missing it!
thanks eva!

dawno 05-14-2014 02:39 PM

So happy for all who were lucky to witness this!

borneoman 05-14-2014 03:00 PM

Agree he was not very coherent in some stories and brutally honest at the same time, the funniest momment was when he was talking about the mirror and lost what he was saying and had like a 15 second pause ;)

Also agree, audience so respectful, in blowers daughter was like subtle backing vocals (as opposed to Italy for instance where everbody screamed without even knowing the lyrics Did I say that I LOVE you) ;)

borneoman 05-14-2014 03:11 PM

But did he say new alvum this fall???? Cos i kinda dont remember that, sure he said he was mixing now after finishing recording and choosimg songs, so its kinda implicit the album is coming but i dont recall him being so specific

Stine 05-14-2014 03:20 PM

I saw a video on youtube where he says it - it's the last thing he says before leaving stage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2EF0D-NQXs

carrroline 05-14-2014 03:31 PM

9 crimes

Oh, and hot press has an photo album that's worth looking at.
http://www.hotpress.com/photos/photo_st.php?id=11552233

Thanks for the reviews! I really loved reading yours, Gatsby :)

carrroline 05-14-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 373535)
(that sounds really mean, but he was definitely not a drummer!).

The drummer looks like Shahzad Ismaily.
That actually is a real drummer, not a charity case :)
He was part of the band that played with Damien at Iceland Airwaves.
Maybe he was baked as well ;)

verenita 05-14-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 373543)
Oh, and hot press has an photo album that's worth looking at.
http://www.hotpress.com/photos/photo_st.php?id=11552233

Ąun kilo y dos pancitos! :D
thanks car for the link :)

damien lisa 05-14-2014 04:12 PM

a little disappointed, new album coming in the autumn? he should keep secret that

mandarific 05-14-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrroline (Post 373544)
The drummer looks like Shahzad Ismaily.
That actually is a real drummer, not a charity case :)
He was part of the band that played with Damien at Iceland Airwaves.
Maybe he was baked as well ;)

In one of the videos Damien points out something like "We've never played these together" or "We haven't played some of these songs," or something like that, as well as "We just found this drum and couldn't find any drumsticks," so maybe that has a bit to do with it too.

borneoman 05-14-2014 05:46 PM

long long way to the top
long way down if you fall
long way back if you get lost <3

borneoman 05-14-2014 05:53 PM

The Box

The Greatest Bastard

as you can see, he was very very coherent with his ramblings :D

borneoman 05-14-2014 06:10 PM

Black is the Colour > I Remember

Rootless Tree

noticed that in the end he changes to "Love You Love You Love You Love You... let you out, cos it's Hell when I'm around"

cuuliem 05-14-2014 06:22 PM

Excellent concert . I am not good into making reviews but I l.o.v.e.d it . I will let Marti develop everything

Packing my bag for Korea tommorow

borneoman 05-14-2014 06:34 PM

The Blowerīs Daughter

Amie > Sex Change

eva_arg 05-14-2014 07:00 PM

whoa thanks for those videos, marti. Great quality

blower'sdaughter 05-14-2014 07:12 PM

a huge thanks for the videos you are posting! so happy to hear the new song and also Black is the colour, what an incredible cover.
Damien is back :)

mandarific 05-14-2014 07:19 PM

still watching the others but holy CRAP, rootless tree

(Also, I think I love long way to the top)

carrroline 05-14-2014 07:20 PM

Thanks you guys!!! This is awesome. I adore the newie.

dawno 05-14-2014 07:40 PM

Thank you for the videos! They are fabulous!