The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien’s other Glastonbury set (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4549)

#Ian# 06-28-2004 09:01 PM

Seems like I was the only Eskimo to make it to this (Emmett, thanks a million for the text on Friday by the way).

He barely made it there on time becasue apparently he woke up in his tent around 2:40 in the greenfield area, and then one of the tuning pegs on his guitar broke off so he had to borrow some Yamaha guitar, not a promising start. I had made it there by 3 and was standing right up the front against the barrier so I saw him trying to get everything sorted out for a while before coming on.

He started off with "The Blowers Daughter" which went over really well, personally I like the falsetto he uses during the "Lisa bit", I know some people here don't but quite simply, you're wrong.

Damien started talking about there being only 2 things hes good at, being late for things and f**king up relationships, and that the next song was about the latter and did "The Professor".

Prior to him speaking before "The Professor" there was a quiet bit and some t**ser shouted out for "Insane". He said the next song was about when you were really screwed up and launched into it (although I did hang around to speak to Damien at the end and thank him for playing my request, really pleased about that, had never heard it live before).

I'm not sure which order the next 2 were in but he played Delicate and Volcano (broke a string during that), the Delicate riff looks really easy, I'm now pissed off that I never figured it out. He got the crowd to singalong and do the "Volcanos melt me down" bit at the end seeing as he was on his own.

He plugged the gig for later that evening and then went offstage but came back on to play "Cannonball".

Really enjoyed it, even more than the set that he played later on to be honest.Edited by: #Ian#

Patricia 06-28-2004 09:15 PM

Cool Ian, thanks for sharing!

Angela 06-28-2004 10:31 PM

Ah, sounds nice [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]You must be happy to have caught it. I heard of several people missing it.

cille 06-28-2004 10:40 PM

thanks for the review. wish i was there.Edited by: cillecille

Michelle Joey 06-29-2004 09:53 AM

Thanks for that Ian [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Was your request Insane;what was he like when you were talking to him?

SimonWales 06-29-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Joey

Was your request Insane;

That Peter Andre song??![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

#Ian# 06-29-2004 12:29 PM

Yeah, I'm the t**ser

He was grand, only spoke to him for a minute becasue I didn't want to hold him up too much, thanked him for playing the song ("Oh that was you was it?", I don't think he meant it in an accusing way) and asked him if it was going to be a full band that night or if Tomo was at home with the baby.

Michelle Joey 06-29-2004 12:43 PM

Aw sweet;he's so lovely isn't it?

That would be Insania Simon [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

incident 06-29-2004 11:50 PM

I saw the Leftfield show as well.. thought it was excellent.. I'm fairly sure thatDelicate was played before Volcano.

Had only stopped into the Leftfield about an hour beforehand to buy something from the co-op,and saw a notice on the wall about the set. Cue much happinness from me + the people I was with.. :)

I don't like comparing festival sets to proper gigs, so I won't, but Ireckon it was better than the 3 sets at the last 2 Witnnesses. Can't compare it to glasto last year, as I wasn't there.

mestonf 06-30-2004 07:26 AM

thanks ian......should have been standing with you at the front but ooooooooooo well!

#Ian# 06-30-2004 08:36 AM

Yeah, incident is right because he broke a string while playing Volcano and went offstage afterwards.

Unabashed2 06-30-2004 08:46 AM

glasto last year will always be a historic moment. I liked this years set, but too many people were in on it. Last year it was a handful, like finding buried treasure.

#Ian# 06-30-2004 08:49 AM

I thought the best part of last year was that he started with a smallish crowd and then it just got bigger and bigger as the set went on. People were passing by and just stopped to see what was going on

monument 06-30-2004 11:23 AM

When did he play in the Leftfield?

Also, hello, i'm new [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

concetta 06-30-2004 11:25 AM

ciao monument!

#Ian# 06-30-2004 11:39 AM

Saturday afternoon, 3:20

neil_eats 06-30-2004 12:55 PM

i agree with unbashed2 nothing matches last years set he play ive seen him 5 times now that first time at last years glastonbury was by far the best. and shhh about the leftfeild set i like to pretend it never happened cuz i missed it. as for some t**ser shouting insane nothing matches the t**ser that shouted paedophile on the other stage performance. please tell me someone else here heard him shout that.

Unabashed3 07-25-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil_eats
i agree with unbashed2 nothing matches last years set he play ive seen him 5 times now that first time at last years glastonbury was by far the best. and shhh about the leftfeild set i like to pretend it never happened cuz i missed it. as for some t**ser shouting insane nothing matches the t**ser that shouted paedophile on the other stage performance. please tell me someone else here heard him shout that.

I wanted to hack different members of the audiences heads away.

Especially that bitch who kept shoutin ' DAMO ILOVE YOU ITS MA BIRRFFDAYY' - I GOT NEWSFOR YOU UGLY, NO ONES GIVES A sh*t!
I seriously would haveliked to stick 5 grands worth of fireworks up her arse and watch her body disintergrate into thousands of sparkly pieces!! But I don't have thefireworks to spare, or themoney for that matter...

OH, and that BASTARD who was next to me on the railing, he sung EVERY f**kIN' line of EVERY DAMO song NOTE FOR NOTE in the worst singing voice I have ever heard!
Now, I don't mind a drunks voice, I don't mind a girls voice, I don't mind a normal blokes humming. BUT I CAN'T STAND, SOME LITTLE CHOIR BOY sh*t WHO REALLY THOUGHT HE SOUNDED REALLY GOOD. I MEAN THIS GUY THOUGHT HE WAS THE sh*t AT SINGING. BUT I GOT NEWS, OH YEH, I GOT PLENTY OF NEWS FOR HIM. FOX ARE FLYING IT, ITN ARE FLYING IT, THE f**kING BBC ARE FLYING IT. AND ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE...IF YOU'RE READING THIS GIT FACE, YOU CAN'T SING A SINGLE NOTE, YOU'RE MORE TONE DEAFTHAN MY DEATH ARSE, DUMB ARSE LAME ARSE CRIMPLED BITCH OF A DOG.
AND IF YOU EVER, EVER, EVER COME NEAR ME AGAIN, I WILL BE ARMED WITH A PICK AXE, AND, OH YES, I WILL SPLIT YOU BETWEEN THE EYES.

everyone was against me that night...oh yeh, those arseholes covered in mud and sh*t, tryin to get some little girl to the front who had claim to the biggest mouth in the whole of the civilised world, and who thought her opinions were really needed that night.

WHY!? WHY I ASK WHY!?

UNDER MY GOVERNMENT THESE SORT OF USELESS PEOPLE, THESE WASTES OF FOOD WOULD BE CANNON FODDER TO THE IRAQI'S ALONG WITH P.E TEACHERS EVERYWHERE. WASTES OF SKIN!

#Ian# 07-25-2004 04:10 PM

I had to think back, but I remembered that I only started singing along to one song so I'm OK, phew.

Unabashed3 07-25-2004 05:06 PM

nah ur ok, he sang every song.....[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

badly.

he was on the barrier next to me.

#Ian# 07-25-2004 06:03 PM

I was back a bit, I'm grand.

And I've got a lovely singing voice anyway [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] . Provided that I don't have to sing in front of people, damn you nerves, damn you to hell.

jayavo 07-28-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Ian#
I was back a bit, I'm grand.

And I've got a lovely singing voice anyway [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] . Provided that I don't have to sing in front of people, damn you nerves, damn you to hell.

same way. for a laid back guy i can sure get [img]smileys/smiley22.gif[/img]

jason
<DIV align=left>I think only about going onstage and singing well. In this business,</DIV>
<DIV align=left>you never arrive. All the time you can fail. You have to prove again and</DIV>
<DIV align=left>again each night. If a conductor has a cold, he can still conduct. But</DIV>
<DIV align=left>not a singer. It is a miracle each day. It is very difficult for the</DIV>
<DIV align=left>nerves. I have to control it, like yoga, to have the concentration to be</DIV>
<DIV align=left>very relaxed in a very short time. And you have to have very iron</DIV>
<DIV align=left>nerves. Because when you lose the voice, you don't lose the voice, you</DIV>
<DIV align=left>lose your nerve."</DIV>
<DIV align=left>Roberto Alagna (opera singer)</DIV>