The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Whelan’s Gig... (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5733)

Aime 09-18-2004 07:29 PM

so, my sister is a legend.... she somehow managed to get me on the guest list for the whelan's gig - i had to fight long and hard with my mum to let me stay at home instead of going to see my new er second cousin...(?)

anyways... it was so unbelievable... that man is such a legend! AND i got to meet him and i told him i loved him and he gave me a funny look but smiled and laughed and it was so so so good! i LOVE that man with all my heart!!

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 07:31 PM

how'd u get 2 meet him?!

Aime 09-18-2004 07:38 PM

he walked out of whelans and noone said anything he was just walking past the queue with this real sheepish look on his face and then a load of people ran down the street after him to get pictures and autographs n'stuff! he was so sweet!

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 07:39 PM

wat time was dis @?! i'm so mad i left!

ali* 09-18-2004 07:42 PM

oooh, gig review!!

Aime 09-18-2004 07:45 PM

it was between half one to two o'clock.

it was fantastic! but the one thing i will say is he didnt talk to the audience much - i mean he didnt to little intro stories to the songs he just played them... and it was UNREAL but still...

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 07:46 PM

bt if he does the big long intro it means he plays less music?!

Aime 09-18-2004 07:50 PM

i know but i love the little stories!!! they're always so funny, he probably didnt do them cause they always involve cursing or something unsuitable for the 8 and 9 years olds that were there!

*Killian* 09-18-2004 07:51 PM

so come on! REVIEW!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 07:53 PM

aime u review it wil ya? and u rite bout stories..bt he did woman like a man..

Aime 09-18-2004 07:57 PM

k he started with delicate and then volcano... its all then a blur but he sang blowers daughter, cannonball, i remember, eskimo, prague, hallelujah, woman like a man, the professor.. OMG!! LISA WAS THERE!!!! one of the many important things about it!

He sand teh beginning of insane but then his guitar was out of tuen so he finished it with blowers daughter part two, he sang cold water, vyvienne did seven nation army "for everyone who's under the age of 12" he played one or two songs that id never heard so i presume they're from the closer film... lisa sang be my husband he sang errm... hmm now i cant remember aggghhh.... but he was absolutely brilliant!!

and it was so unfair there were loads of cuties around but ALL of them were with their girlfriends!! where do these girls find these wonderful boys? seriously!!

yeah... just ask about songs cause i'm sure i've forgotten loads!!

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 07:58 PM

u gto nearly all em..allt eh cute gals were in gaggles of 20's!

sky_larkin 09-18-2004 07:59 PM

hey there badasses I'm new so be nice!
i was also at the gig today and heard about this place.. some guy with a white tshirt was talking about it.. if you're about man.. I was the one with the glasses who was listening to you. heh. anyways It was flipping amazing.
My first time to see Damien and I have to say he well surpassed my expectations!
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] paula .. blanchardsdtown

ali* 09-18-2004 08:00 PM

was it totally packed? and what was the general age group? did ye have a big eskimo meet up?! come ooooooooonnnnnnnn people!!

*Killian* 09-18-2004 08:01 PM

ah kewl great to hear u enjoyed it anyway! damn me being 19! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

*Killian* 09-18-2004 08:02 PM

welcome paula!

Donsie B! 09-18-2004 08:02 PM

age between 13-16 r so...i met dubsrule 87, john g, weeangel and idigoangel peresonally..

sky_larkin 09-18-2004 08:04 PM

thanks killian
who was that guy with the tshirt and the writing on it. twas a white tshirt. [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]

ali* 09-18-2004 08:05 PM

aw, cool! i met indigoangel before (hello u old person u! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])

did he mention anymore gigs coming up or anything bout the album?

Aime 09-18-2004 08:05 PM

no way there were loads of 10 year olds floating around though i have a sneaky suspision that their parents were using them as an excuse to go see damien... although one kid in front of me was wearing a frames tshirt and me and my friend were like "fair play"!

it was jammers!!!

*Killian* 09-18-2004 08:07 PM

ahhhh! the more i read here the more jealous im gettin! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

SilentNight 09-18-2004 08:08 PM

thanks Aime, it has to be easier than recalling a dream[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

..and don't worry, they just paired for the gig[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Aime 09-18-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentNight
thanks Aime, it has to be easier than recalling a dream[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

yes it most certainly was!!

but i think i did get all the songs he played in there - he didnt play aime! nooone was too happy about that. and i really hoped he'd play then go cause i love it and its so pretty but he didnt. ah well.

*Killian* 09-18-2004 08:13 PM

how long did he play for?

Aime 09-18-2004 08:17 PM

bout an hour and a half maybe a wee bit longer... didnt mention gigs or albums or anything...

WeeAngel 09-18-2004 09:33 PM

i was too scared to ask an1 if they were an eskimo! but i met donsie![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]............i was wearin a grumps t-shirt sayin volcanoes melt me down...people tell me what ye looked like and i mite member if i saw ye!!
excellent gig.......Lisa's voice was unbelievable i was close to tears!

WeeAngel 09-18-2004 09:35 PM

btw did anyone record it i'd love a copy !!!!

Hannah650 09-18-2004 10:03 PM

hey guys, just back there! One of the best days in a long time.... the concert was beyond fantastic and we hung around for ages after and met damien and lisa!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Hannah650 09-18-2004 10:29 PM

awh theres no-one here to share my happiness with me!![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Bumpman 09-19-2004 10:41 AM

i was there too, except i was there before everyone else, and got the seat in the front row centre, they played (in no particular order): delicate, volcano, grey room, i remember, eskimo, be my husband, cannonball, seven nation army, the blower's daughter, the blower's daughter part ii, cold water, hallelujah, woman like a man, prague, the professor & la fille danse. Also band recorded the gig onto soundboard and video. It was far better then any other time i've ever seen them, i found it quite strange that so few people recognised the band when they were walking around before the show, but i did, and i got to meet tomo, vyvienne and damien... he has a nice hat.

Did anyone else there get to record it?</font>Edited by: Bumpman