The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien Rice & Melanie Laurent - Everything You're Not Supposed To Be (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16678)

glo32 04-13-2011 07:35 PM

Damien Rice & Melanie Laurent - Everything You're Not Supposed To Be

the first melanie/damien duet is on youtube...
I have mixed feelings about this... what do you guys think?

:wave:

borneoman 04-13-2011 09:00 PM

since it leaked last week I've been trying to like it... but I don't...

Melanie, can you please go back to acting pliz :director:

eva_arg 04-13-2011 09:33 PM

mmm.... I kinda like damo's part, but the song it's meh

borneoman 04-13-2011 09:41 PM

yes, agree, the one thing that can be saved is Damien's solo part at the start...

tlh235 04-13-2011 09:50 PM

background music is terrible. hope he at least is touchin the boobs.:hello2:

tuckatangent 04-14-2011 06:48 AM

I actually like it. Melanie's voice is not what I expected, but it is really nice to hear a male/female duet from Damien again. Their voices sound beautiful together. Melanie's part alone was dull, but it picked up at the end.

Coralie 04-14-2011 05:28 PM

I'm so disappointed with all of the Mélanie stuff we've heard so far...

glo32 04-14-2011 07:10 PM

I think the whole album sounds better than the stuff we've heard so far... It's not an album I'll listen to over and over, but it's a nice pop album... Better than a few albums other singer-wannabe actresses have released in the last few years...
and maybe it's me, but the songs she sings in French are better than the ones in English...

The other duet with Damien ("Uncomfortable") sounds horrible, I think... But the other three songs co-written/produced by Damien are not bad at all, "Pardon" and "Papa"... and "Il Fait Gris" is the highlight of the album for me (along with the two instrumental tracks) and I think many here would agree - it's probably the most Damien-esque song on the album, and it also has cello and Damien doing backing vocals...

dboyd 04-15-2011 01:06 AM

...meh.

I'd like to hear a different females voice... melanie is kinda plain to me... I think it you sub someone else in it'd be a pretty damn good song. Maybe it'll grow on me... but for now just... meh...

verenita 04-15-2011 01:34 AM

i don´t think its a bad song really... i like damien´s voice the most, but i´m getting tired of the "la la la... la" to be honest.

i won´t say a word about the lady... well, only that she hasn´t hooked me at all.

i also love the pic of damien on the video :p

ps: it is funny to read the comments on youtube... everybody seems happy that damien "is back", lol.

borneoman 04-15-2011 07:46 AM

Glo, I'm amazed you managed to sit thru the whole thing... I cannot listen to Melanie's voice for more than 2 minutes :p

and yes, the other duet, Unpardonable is probably the worst song off the album, should be re-named Unlistenable :p :D

quiquemartin 04-15-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 366419)
should be re-named Unlistenable :p :D

jajajajajajajja. Maybe the Damien Rice's face in the photo of the youtube video is taken from the final listening in the studio of the songs.

glo32 04-15-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 366419)
Glo, I'm amazed you managed to sit thru the whole thing... I cannot listen to Melanie's voice for more than 2 minutes :p

ahah you're too mean to melanie... try to listen again to the full thing with an open mind :P

Coralie 04-15-2011 02:42 PM

I'll check the entire album then! :)

Spamlet 04-15-2011 09:15 PM

I think she probably came in with the lyrics but that he helped her write the music which I really like. A lot of folks here seem to get worried when Damo explores genres of music outside of his tried and true. I have the opposite reaction and think it only makes him all the more fascinating for his facilitation.

Personally, I find nothing wrong w/ this song at all: it's typically catchy, melodic, multi-layered and I'm apparently the only one here who loves her "non-singer's" voice. I find it both very striking, complex and rich in tone as well as emotionally expressive. Granted, voice has so much to do with taste and perhaps it's due to my being an actor, but I agree w/ Patsy Rodenburg that any voice that can provoke a strong emotional response is an effective or "good" voice. Mel's clearly done that on this forum.

Amie R. 04-15-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamlet (Post 366432)
I think she probably came in with the lyrics but that he helped her write the music which I really like. A lot of folks here seem to get worried when Damo explores genres of music outside of his tried and true. I have the opposite reaction and think it only makes him all the more fascinating for his facilitation.

Personally, I find nothing wrong w/ this song at all: it's typically catchy, melodic, multi-layered and I'm apparently the only one here who loves her "non-singer's" voice. I find it both very striking, complex and rich in tone as well as emotionally expressive. Granted, voice has so much to do with taste and perhaps it's due to my being an actor, but I agree w/ Patsy Rodenburg that any voice that can provoke a strong emotional response is an effective or "good" voice. Mel's clearly done that on this forum.

I agree with you in every single word. From the first song I loved her voice and style! I'm loving Damien getting out there and exploring. So far I have loved all of her songs and voice. Very well done.

borneoman 04-17-2011 11:56 AM

actually I was wrong about something, there are 2 amazing songs in this album, absolutely incredible... the 2 instrumentals that open and close the album... they sound like those improvs that Damien did as intros to Acc Babies or 9 Crimes during the 9 tour... actually I don't know who does those instrumentals in Melanie's album but they're amazing!!!!!!!! especially the opening Debut (bit Fin is nice too).

glo32 04-17-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman (Post 366455)
actually I was wrong about something, there are 2 amazing songs in this album, absolutely incredible... the 2 instrumentals that open and close the album... they sound like those improvs that Damien did as intros to Acc Babies or 9 Crimes during the 9 tour... actually I don't know who does those instrumentals in Melanie's album but they're amazing!!!!!!!! especially the opening Debut (bit Fin is nice too).

I told you you had to re-listen :P

Spamlet 04-18-2011 07:08 PM

I was wrong too. No idea whether this is one of the credited songs but I now believe that Damo co-wrote the lyrics in this and not just the music. It's especially apparent to me in the big hook/chorus (wonderfully convoluted construction of a negative framed as the expected positive) and the bridge which is classic Damo patter in the tradition of Face and Sand.

glo32 04-18-2011 08:28 PM

can anyone write down the lyrics?

borneoman 04-19-2011 07:43 AM

and damn it, looks like I'm wrong again and that Melanie herself did those amazing instrumentals that open and close the album, not Damien... looks like she plays piano ;)

Spamlet 04-19-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glo32 (Post 366478)
can anyone write down the lyrics?

I walk away from you
For the first time
Strong.

And I did my best
To see it through.
Now I'm watching you
Just thinking
I'm wrong.

But I only wanted you to know
That I never wanted you to go.

I know I was
Everything you're not supposed to be
To someone that you love. (x3)

That you love, that you love.

You walk away from me
For the first time
Sure.

And you did your best
But you don't see
How free
It feels
Without you and me.

I only wanted you to know

I know I was

And I crash and I burn
And I toss and I turn.

I belong to you.

You provoked and you broke
All my dreams and my hope.

And I'm sitting still.

I feel trapped and alone
I thank God you are gone.

I sleep better now.

I feel free and I see
What you are without me.

I'm alive again.

I only wanted you to know

I know I was

That you love.

Na,na, na, na etc.

That you love. (x12)

glo32 04-19-2011 08:09 PM

thanks!

srahman24 04-20-2011 02:56 AM

Love Damien's part, with that passionate crescendo he does so well. But then Melanie kicks in and it just falls flat.

I'm with you Glo on the other duet - it sounds... messy. And not in a good way.

verenita 04-20-2011 03:00 AM

i insist on the fact that she speaks rather than she sings. is it just me?

haleylel 04-20-2011 02:27 PM

i like the music, DR's part, but I don't really like her voice!

verenita 04-20-2011 02:41 PM

[out of topic: very welcome! :wave:]

Canadian Island 04-20-2011 06:25 PM

I like her voice. But I also have a weakness for french girls...

glo32 04-21-2011 05:01 PM

the two melanie-damien duets are now available on damien's official store... http://damienrice.sandbag.uk.com/Store/Music.html

http://www.damienrice.com/Images/tem...anieDamien.jpg

stevefox42 04-21-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glo32 (Post 366520)
the two melanie-damien duets are now available on damien's official store... http://damienrice.sandbag.uk.com/Store/Music.html

Purchased, popped on my iPhone, and LOVING them!