The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien Rice (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Damien playing Yann Tiersen?!? (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14538)

Lin@ 07-05-2007 10:45 PM

Damien playing Yann Tiersen?!?

Okay guys, this might be an incredibly stupid question, but I really need to ask this, cause it's killing me.

Damien recently tends to play this beautiful intro to "Rootless Tree" or "9 crimes" and I just can't stop thinking that this might be one of Yann Tiersen's songs. It's not that I don't believe that Damo could write such a beautiful piano piece, it's just that Tiersen has such a characteristic sound and this intro truly reminds me of his style.

Can anyone help?

Rai 07-06-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lin@
Okay guys, this might be an incredibly stupid question, but I really need to ask this, cause it's killing me.

Damien recently tends to play this beautiful intro to "Rootless Tree" or "9 crimes" and I just can't stop thinking that this might be one of Yann Tiersen's songs. It's not that I don't believe that Damo could write such a beautiful piano piece, it's just that Tiersen has such a characteristic sound and this intro truly reminds me of his style.

Can anyone help?

It does sound a bit tiersenish, maybe influenced by our favourite Breton, but I don't think its Yann's piece, it just doesn't have the momentum (maybe due to the slight clumsyness of Damien's playing).

srahman24 07-06-2007 07:29 AM

Wow. I've never actually heard that whole intro before. It does sound a lot like Tiersen, especially with the bit that starts at 45 seconds (not sure what the technical term for that is? sigh. clearly, my 10 years of piano lessons served me well)... but I don't think it's a cover of Tiersen.

Someone should ask him at his next show :)

Valentino 07-06-2007 07:40 AM

I can see where you'd think it'd be Tiersen but someone should definitely ask him at his next show. Or perhaps it's a new song and all these little piano intros and outros are teasers for what's about to come...The next album's definitley gonna be killer, I can feel it.

fersen 07-06-2007 10:30 AM

If Damien plays that music not knowing Yann Tiersen, it's amazing. The celt connection...

cille 07-06-2007 12:29 PM

Tell me about Yann Tiersen, should I listen to him?

Lin@ 07-06-2007 12:55 PM

Yann Tiersen is an amazing French composer who is quite famous for his soundtracks to the movies "Amelie" & "Goodbye Lenin". And for his beautiful piano pieces. :smiley32:

My absolute favorite

And obviously: Yes, you should listen to him. ;)

Accidental Baby 07-06-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille

You might know him from the Amélie soundtrack. Some nice songs on there (instrumental), my favorite being 'La valse d'Amélie' in both the piano and accordion version. Gotta love it.

Oh, and you're right Lin@, 'Comptine..' is beautiful as well.

cille 07-06-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
You might know him from the Amélie soundtrack. Some nice songs on there (instrumental), my favorite being 'La valse d'Amélie' in both the piano and accordion version. Gotta love it.

Oh, and you're right Lin@, 'Comptine..' is beautiful as well.

OH! Then i know his work of course - have seen both Amelie and Goodbye Lenin. I didn't pay too much notice to the music, but I remember it contributing very well to the pace of Amelie.

Rai 07-06-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cille

Well, he's just, to use Seamus Heaney's expression, "sheer bloody genious". If you listen to the Amélie soundtrack, you should keep in mind that he plays all the instruments on the whole album. The soundtracks are not really his 'contemporary' stuff, he's more into not-so-interesting avant-rock nowadays (at least that's what he played two years ago when I saw him live), but the earlier albums around La Phare are really worthy to get.

This is my favourite:

Mort 07-06-2007 04:02 PM

It sounds a bit like Tiersen to me but who knows..maybe he just tries something new. Anyway this intro is really beautiful whatever it is. I wish he'd played it when I saw him.

Emelie 07-06-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lin@
Yann Tiersen is an amazing French composer who is quite famous for his soundtracks to the movies "Amelie" & "Goodbye Lenin". And for his beautiful piano pieces. :smiley32:

My absolute favorite

And obviously: Yes, you should listen to him. ;)

I live this piece and I can play it, but I'm not sure I wanted to see that video... Now I'm in tears! :crybaby2:

srahman24 07-07-2007 05:16 AM

This is one of my favorite live performances by him (well, among the ones on youtube anyhow)

Claude 01-12-2017 10:34 AM

Thanks for this "old" thread !
:smiley20: