The Igloo

The Igloo (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/index.php)
-   Damien's Gigs (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   XFM scala show (http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13680)

Nine 03-25-2007 12:15 AM

XFM scala show

since nobody at the Hammersmith gig seemed to be up for it, anyone going to this one fancy a gathering afterwards? Just go for a drink somewhere or something. I'd love to meet some of my eskimo family in the flesh :)

songbirdrach 03-25-2007 04:07 PM

You will spot me.
I will be the chick at the front,dribbling from the mouth.

happy2bhere 03-26-2007 10:31 AM

Sorry, now not going to Scala gig - no childcare. Very, very gutted. Have asked them to give my tickets to someone else. Twas one of the hardest things i've ever done!

Grant 03-26-2007 01:12 PM

XFM just called me to say i've won tickets :hello2: I'm coming down from Glasgow so will need to see, but a meetup sounds grand.

Grant 03-26-2007 01:18 PM

Oh, and what time is the gig at? Anyone know? I'm sure she told me on the phone but I was too delerious to remember.

Nine 03-27-2007 01:51 AM

I think doors are at 7 :) Would be ace to see some of you there!

Grant 03-27-2007 09:57 AM

We all need something that shows we are members of this forum, any ideas? :p

songbirdrach 03-27-2007 09:59 AM

Yeah doors open at 7 and think Damien coming on at 9ish.
Fionn Regan is supporting aswell isnt he?

Nine 03-27-2007 12:56 PM

yeah fionn is indeed playing :D yay.

Hmmmm what would say 'we are eskimos' hmmmm...
nope, no ideas, anyone?
x

eamo_rice 03-27-2007 03:56 PM

we could all carry a big bag of icecubes - which would come in handy when Damo turns off the a/c to cool us all down :D

Grant 03-27-2007 07:52 PM

Well look out for me :) I'll be wearing jeans and a black sweater with a red t-shirt. And hanging around with a guy twice my size with blonde in his hair.

Come say hi we're travelling a long way! :hello:

Grant 03-28-2007 05:03 PM

me and my friend iain are currently sat in o'neills on carnaby street enjoying a pre-gig beer! Hope to see some of you tonight at the scala :)

eamo_rice 03-29-2007 12:03 AM

Grant - you were standing beside me in the queue I think, Scottish? I was with the tall girl in black reading the Ron Jeremy Autobiography.

Setlist:

9 Crimes (guitar)
Older Chests
The Professor/La fille danse with 3rd verse, Vyv on cello for that verse
Cannonball
Rat Within the Grain
Cursing >>> Damo remembered that the show was meant for radio and wondered if they could bleep the f*cks because he really felt like swearing and sang "So why'd you fill my ****ing sorrow, with the words you ****ing borrowed"
Delicate
Lights >>> Vyv complained to him about the lights being too bright, but it was cos of the "lovely" cameramen. Someone shouted it was because he was a "star" and Damo then treated us to his English accent!
Coconut Skins >>> Percussion jam >>> Volcano (long intro and outro) >>> Slow >>> Rootless Tree (last two on the Rhodes)
Where's Lisa? - Yet again! and again he said "i dunno" but the band said she was at home.
Woman Like A Man
What the Night is for

Vyv - Random Man on the Motorway
Talking
The Animals Were Gone
Lisa explanation (of sorts!)
The Blower's Daughter

eamo_rice 03-29-2007 12:14 AM

This was a great gig! especially since it was free! Damo played for around 90 mins altogether and he was very chatty. He said it was cos he was hungover and tired, so he was telling stories for The Professor, Cannonball. He was going to explain What the Night is for, but stopped, just sayng that no-one would know it. It was beautiful.

Volcano was a bit odd, it didn't really go anywhere and i think it will sound odd on the radio.

When he came out for the encore he offered an explanation for the Lisa question, saying that they were all musicians, but also people. sometimes you want to be quiet and sometimes you want to be loud? (can't remember properly). It was an explanation of sorts, and better than nothing.

One of the funniest moments was him tuning up before Animals, saying he was really paranoid about it, and then asking "did anyone pay?"

and fair play to him for playing a full gig on his day off.

Both him and Vyv seemed annoyed with the photographers and one of them was right in Vyv's face for ages during Older Chests and you could see she was exasperated. when she looked around I gave her a smile and got one back: Vyv is lovely, and she looked well hot. And some guy asked her to marry him when she came on for encore, to which she replied "yes. I don't know you, but this next song is about you!" :D lol

CoraVenus Lunny was also playing with them, but didn't seem to have much to do. Tomo just amazes me how he can get some much different sound out of one drum. No Fionn Regan as advertised, for whatever reason.

So can we please stop asking the "Where's Lisa?" questions?

Nine 03-29-2007 12:20 AM

tonight was ace :) So vastly different to Hammersmith last night, obviously - but so pleasent and initmate. It was great to see Damien in such a chatty happy mood. Tomo was right infront of me, and I didn't realise until now that I absolutely fancy the hell out of him! So I was chuffed to recieve a return thumbs up to the one I gave him at the end of the show.

Anyhoo, in short it was really really nice and I'm so glad I went. :)

MacrossGirl 03-29-2007 02:09 AM

*bangs her head on her desk* I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! Jealous I say!!! hehe
Thank you SO much for the play by play! And I am SO curious to hear Vyv's - Random Man on the Motorway!! did she sing or what? Anyone get pics? hehe

xoxo to my lucky ducky friends!

eamo_rice 03-29-2007 03:18 AM

My mate has some great pics, especially of Vyv because we were on her side, but she isn't going back to Canada until mid-April, so i won't have them before then. I'll post them when I get them though if anyone is still interested then.

borneoman 03-29-2007 03:52 AM

Sounds great!!! did he confirm that What The Night is For is the title of the new song??

MacrossGirl 03-29-2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eamo_rice
My mate has some great pics, especially of Vyv because we were on her side, but she isn't going back to Canada until mid-April, so i won't have them before then. I'll post them when I get them though if anyone is still interested then.

You can bet *I* will be interested!! I am DYING to know about Vyv's song!! What is it like?
HUGS for my fav emo!:icon_pray

Ewwa 03-29-2007 07:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGHhzNCRCj0

songbirdrach 03-29-2007 08:01 AM

Absolutely splendid gig!
And The Blowers Daughter after he talked about Lisa and wanting to be open but quiet aswell......well it all became quite poignant and it made me tingle!

Lovely little venue,the band were brill,and Coconut skins was feckin amazin!

Yeah i noticed how aggravated Vyv was getting with the camera man and the lighting.

Brilliant gig,brilliant Damien Rice experience.

Be interesting to see how the gigs goes in Wolverhampton tonight.I would really love to hear the harder version of Rootless Tree but doubt it.
Also quite gutted about a few others he didnt play,but hey,there is no way i am complaining!

I *heart* Damien Rice!

julschong 03-29-2007 10:25 AM

Damien on Lisa...

Managed to tape him talking about Lisa etc and then going into the Blower's Daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxSRwhmnVE

happy2bhere 03-29-2007 10:55 AM

Am gutted, won tickets but couldn't go. Thanks for the review, sounds like it was a good 'un (isn't it always?!). Seeing him tommorow in manchester and very excited..... :hello2:

songbirdrach 03-29-2007 11:38 AM

Randon Man :smiley14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTnPtM1lU8s

songbirdrach 03-29-2007 12:40 PM

the professor/la fille danse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRWFTBJuKQ

rockthesmurf 03-29-2007 12:59 PM

Just wanted to continue the praise in saying that the gig last night was very special, to see Damien performing in such a small venue was amazing. I was standing rather near the front (a couple of people behind me) right in the middle, I'm rather tall so sorry to anyone behind me! ( Although I didn't move during the gig and did let people who asked stand in front of me :hello: ).

It was nice to see Damien chatting to the audience and having a joke, the audience were on the whole very well behaved, laughing at the right times and being quite when needed. It has to be said I was getting a little tired of people mentioning Lisa, as it is obviously something Damien doesn't want to talk about, having said that I'll have to go and contradict myself and say I'm glad someone mentioned it last night because that seemed to trigger Damien to give a little more information about the whole situation, the explanation made things seem a little less harsh and made me feel as sorry for Damien as I do for Lisa.

I had my fingers crossed that he would play 'Rat within the grain' so was very chuffed when he did. The main two songs I'd still like to hear live are "Accidental babies" and "Lonelily" although I know Lonelily live is quite a rare occurance!

Anyway, I best get back to work, hope everyone had a good time last night, and I look forward to the next one!

Steve
xo

SilentNight 03-29-2007 01:41 PM

thanks for the reviews and the videos.:)

'Random man' was so cute, reminds me some song from Mary Popins, oh not lyrically:D

eamo_rice 03-29-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman
Sounds great!!! did he confirm that What The Night is For is the title of the new song??

no, he didn't. He didn't quite seem to know what to say about it so he just played it without any explanation. fantastic song.

And Jen - hope you saw the above links to Random Man :)

borneoman 03-29-2007 04:26 PM

Did this Xfm people record the show? Is it gonna be broadcasted later?? (Me hopes so ;)

Nine 03-29-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borneoman
Did this Xfm people record the show? Is it gonna be broadcasted later?? (Me hopes so ;)

It was filmed and audio recorded, so I would imagine so :)